What's new

J.Herbin, Perle Noir anyone?

Awaiting delivery of a 30ml bottle of the J.Herbin Perle Noir ink. Price was great and I fancied a different brand to my normal selection (Diamine, Quink, Monteverde, Noodlers, Pilot). Was just wondering if any body has experience with either this colour or the brand it self. By the way I fell for one of their inkballs again, this time the longer one.

Perle Noire is one of my favorite black inks. It works great in every pen I’ve tried, is certainly water resistant, and looks good. I think you’ll like it.

Well it arrived and I loaded it into the J.Herbin ink ball that came with it. I've had these before so wasn't expecting any great results. Smooth as silk and a line wet, fat and black.

When compared with my other blacks (Quink, Monteverde midnight, Pilot) it comes in as behind the Pilot but in front of the Monte.

A nice shaped bottle for 30ml. I've loaded my 1999 Waterman Hemisphere medium and set about updating my jornals, diaries and calenders.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Fantastic! Perle Noire is a favorite of mine too. Its a nice, rich black. The only issue I've had with it is in the Platinum 3776. The 3776's nib runs on the dry side and the Perle Noire shaded more than I cared for. I like shading blue inks, but black should be solid and dark, like a Sharpie. Perle Noire works better in my other pens.

I love the heritage of J. Herbin, the oldest active ink company in Europe (and I think, the world). Perle Noir is their oldest ink, which I guess makes it the oldest continually produced ink the world. Apparently, the ink reminded
Monsieur Herbin of a black pearl, hence the name. I couldn't tell you how many times they reformulated it over the years. But I like to think its venerable.

Both the Waterman and inkball have gotten smoother, in a nice way. In fact I've drained and cleaned my (one of three) Monteverde engage inkballs and loaded it up with the J. Herbin ink. Straight away a nice wet fat black line. Should look great on the hospital registers and associated paperwork.

Uhm, what is an "inkball"? Got pictures? My imagination is running wild, and I'd like to calm it down...

If you google Monteverde engage this should answer your question. You'll either love em or hate em. I use them at work as its not practical to have a fountain pen in the operating theatre, but I still prefer to use 'real ink'.

There's a couple on the bay at the moment used going cheap.

I haven’t had very good results with the 2 J Herbin inks I bought. I find them too thin and watered down, doesn’t do very well in any pen with a nib bigger than a medium.

Btw Lamy safaris are great pens for the OT @StuMcB :)

Top Bottom