What's new

J.A Henkels

1706876204131.png

We are not allowed to assess the value of individual razors, but I will say this:

$20 to $25 for a good quality vintage razor in beater condition that needs to be cleaned up is a fair price. Sometimes you can find these for less than $20 on eBay.

A high-quality razor that only needs to be honed can be found on eBay for $40 to $100 depending on the razor.

In general, for two razors from the same maker in similar condition, the razor with the wider blade will often sell for more.

The razor shown - a J.A. Henckels 50 - is a high-quality, 5/8 razor. The photo is not great but looks to be in good condition and only need to be polished and honed.

If you search eBay for "henckels 50 straight razor" and check "Sold Items", you will see these two listings:

1706880336539.png

1706880367377.png

The first listing looks mint or new. The second listing looks comparable to the razor you showed.

Obviously, what you are willing to pay is your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's what you're willing to pay, then it's worth 60 bucks. You can do worse, and you can do better.

Not the best pics, just wanted to share. My partner picked this up at a local antique dealer. Reportedly part of the stand display at the 1851 trade fair in London, is there any way to verify or debunk the story?

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_181012.jpg
    IMG_20240227_181012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240227_181109.jpg
    IMG_20240227_181109.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 25
Not the best pics, just wanted to share. My partner picked this up at a local antique dealer. Reportedly part of the stand display at the 1851 trade fair in London, is there any way to verify or debunk the story?
Considering the sheer size and ornateness I believe it plausible.

Reportedly part of the stand display at the 1851 trade fair in London, is there any way to verify or debunk the story?
Indeed, J. A. Henckels participated at the trade fair in 1851 in London and they won an award. However, I believe that the display is younger: When looking at the shape of the twins Zwilling Logo History they are similar to the one which came up around 1900. Might be that I am wrong, but according the my knowlegde the trademark "ZWILLINGSWERK" was registered on March 18th, 1899.
Interested to read what others here think.

Indeed, J. A. Henckels participated at the trade fair in 1851 in London and they won an award. However, I believe that the display is younger: When looking at the shape of the twins Zwilling Logo History they are similar to the one which came up around 1900. Might be that I am wrong, but according the my knowlegde the trademark "ZWILLINGSWERK" was registered on March 18th, 1899.
Interested to read what others here think.
Well spotted, I agree on both counts. I am wondering then, assuming this was made for a special event and not just a general store display, if it may have been used at the Paris Expo 1900 to launch the logo and registered trademark. By 1929 they were advertising their safety razor blade so assume they would not have made the effort after that to make something like this.

Top Bottom