What's new

Italian Floid Discussion Thread

Suzuki said:
Can you compare/contrast with Proraso splash?

Sorry, haven't tried the Proraso splash yet....although I probably will eventually!

The only thing thats kept me away from Proraso splash is all those preservatives in there. With all that alcohol, I don't see the need for all those parabens. But then again, I'm not a chemist.

Floid is the only after shave splash I've ever used. I bought some a month or so ago on Joe's recommendation, tried it, and loved it. So with that extremely limited basis for judgement, I completely agree with Joe's assessment of it. Since I shave at night, I don't use it much. But periodically I open the bottle just to savor the scent.

Proraso's scent quickly fades, and does not interfere with your cologne.... Floid - will interfere.

Floid is good stuff... but I do not think it is worth the cost when shipping into the U.S. is factored in, as there is just no way it is even on par with Musgo Real A/S splash - in terms of scent, moisturization, efficacy, and ability to sooth razor burn. Is it good stuff? Certainly - but I wouldn't say it is better than Taylors splash, or even Aqua Velva (which is quite nice in its own right). In my opinion you are buying the Floid for its scent - which is a very personal reason, so some will like it, others will find it so-so. I don't think it is a scent that is really "out there" and it is not too terribly far from some pinaud products, floid smells better, but it is the same "barbershop" type of smell. If it were the price of proraso - i'd say go after it full bore, but it simply isn't, and in my opinion there are better options. I am looking into getting a bunch of it from the manufacture - so as to be able to get it offered to fellas in the U.S. at a reasonable cost, with a reasonable shipping rate, as then it would be a nice addition to ones toiletry locker. As it stands now, there are a dozen aftershaves available in the U.S. I'd tell ya to go after before the floid - due to cost/efficacy. It is nice stuff though - but remember, in Europe Floid, Pitralon, etc are considered the old spice, aqua velva, mennen, etc of the U.S. - so it is good stuff... but it isn't going to start a revolution, as is not worth the additional cost over Taylors, Musgo, Aqua Velva, etc.

If you like splashes the 4-5 types of Aqua Velva are really hard to beat... and you can get a nice sized bottle for $3-4 at your local supermarket.

Razorlite said:
Classic or Blue??....I have the classic which smells great:lol:, but I've never smelt the blue version. Can anyone who has some describe the 'Floid Blue' smell?

This was in fact the classic. I've not tried the "blue"

joel said:
Proraso's scent quickly fades, and does not interfere with your cologne.... Floid - will interfere.

Floid is good stuff... but I do not think it is worth the cost when shipping into the U.S. is factored in, as there is just no way it is even on par with Musgo Real A/S splash - in terms of scent, moisturization, efficacy, and ability to sooth razor burn. Is it good stuff? Certainly - but I wouldn't say it is better than Taylors splash, or even Aqua Velva (which is quite nice in its own right). In my opinion you are buying the Floid for its scent - which is a very personal reason, so some will like it, others will find it so-so. I don't think it is a scent that is really "out there" and it is not too terribly far from some pinaud products, floid smells better, but it is the same "barbershop" type of smell. If it were the price of proraso - i'd say go after it full bore, but it simply isn't, and in my opinion there are better options. I am looking into getting a bunch of it from the manufacture - so as to be able to get it offered to fellas in the U.S. at a reasonable cost, with a reasonable shipping rate, as then it would be a nice addition to ones toiletry locker. As it stands now, there are a dozen aftershaves available in the U.S. I'd tell ya to go after before the floid - due to cost/efficacy. It is nice stuff though - but remember, in Europe Floid, Pitralon, etc are considered the old spice, aqua velva, mennen, etc of the U.S. - so it is good stuff... but it isn't going to start a revolution, as is not worth the additional cost over Taylors, Musgo, Aqua Velva, etc.

If you like splashes the 4-5 types of Aqua Velva are really hard to beat... and you can get a nice sized bottle for $3-4 at your local supermarket.
Good stuff Joel, thanks. I also have and thoroughly enjoy Aqua Velva and Musgo. Both of these also work great.

But, I might add that unlike Aqua Velva, Floid is much more moisturative to the skin. And, unlike Musgo, this will not "gum" your face up if you use too much.

Also, Taylor's splash (to the best of my knowledge) has no moisturative ingredients whatsoever.

Edit - Taylor does not have moisturative ingredients. In fact, its basically scented watered-down alcohol with an absorptive chemcial :

Ingredients: Alcohol Denat (SD Alcohol 40-B), Water, Perfume, Isopropyl Myristate.

Additionally, Pinaud falls into the same category as Taylor's, from the perspective of being a "Scented, watered-down alchohol splash"

TraderJoe said:
This was in fact the classic. I've not tried the "blue"

:biggrin:In that case - Floid is great, goes on nice, cools with a nice menthol feeling, the price is good, and smells great, doesn't sting too much, though my wife said it smells like a womens perfume she used to have??? My only thought is the smell could last a tiny bit longer, but yep..it's great. I also ordered (a while ago) some Aqua velva on the good reputation it seems to have gathered here, and Yep!, That also gets my vote.:thumbup:.....am I gonna get in trouble for saying that?????being a floid review?? Apologies in advance:001_huh:

Razorlite said:
:biggrin:In that case - Floid is great, goes on nice, cools with a nice menthol feeling, the price is good, and smells great, doesn't sting too much, though my wife said it smells like a womens perfume she used to have??? My only thought is the smell could last a tiny bit longer, but yep..it's great. I also ordered (a while ago) some Aqua velva on the good reputation it seems to have gathered here, and Yep!, That also gets my vote.:thumbup:.....am I gonna get in trouble for saying that?????being a floid review?? Apologies in advance:001_huh:

Thanks for the comments buddy, and no trouble, especially seeing as though Aqua Velva is such a great & effective AS splash. :thumbup:

joel said:
I am looking into getting a bunch of it from the manufacture - so as to be able to get it offered to fellas in the U.S. at a reasonable cost, with a reasonable shipping rate, as then it would be a nice addition to ones toiletry locker. As it stands now, there are a dozen aftershaves available in the U.S. I'd tell ya to go after before the floid - due to cost/efficacy. It is nice stuff though - but remember, in Europe Floid, Pitralon, etc are considered the old spice, aqua velva, mennen, etc of the U.S. - so it is good stuff... but it isn't going to start a revolution, as is not worth the additional cost over Taylors, Musgo, Aqua Velva, etc.

Another brand that people (especially those in Canada) should consider trying the Booster line of aftershaves - made by the same people who make JM Fraser. Very nice stuff and you get a huge bottle for $8 - their Polar Ice is an Aqua Velva blue knock off and the Aquarius is a Clubman clone - they also have a bunch of other scents.

Sorry about taking this thread in a completely unrelated direction :blushing:

Suzuki said:
Another brand that people (especially those in Canada) should consider trying the Booster line of aftershaves - made by the same people who make JM Fraser.

How's their bay rum?

joel said:
Yes, is smells incredibly similar to Pinaud Clubman.

:c18: you might need to blow your nose! :lol:

The spanish floid is actually more similar to italian floid than anything else, but less powdery, and more of a "sharp" top note.

Charles at QED told me that he once carried the Floid line but couldn't get guys interested in it so he dropped it. That must have been awhile back because I've been buying from him for over four years now and I don't remember it. He said it was good stuff and came in hell for stout GLASS bottles unlike our Pinaud products. Truth be told, I'd buy all the Pinuad scents just for the heck of it if they came in glass bottles. I would like to try the Floid but shipping from Manufactum UK was approximately two to three times the price of the aftershaves! Alas, I hope Joel's efforts bear fruit.

Regards, Todd

Hey Joel, just curious if you were ever able to make any headway with this ...?

I'd love to get myself a bottle of Floid but it just seems like a nightmare trying to order any online. The few websites that appear to carry it seem confusing as to what it is you're getting... also cumbersome trying to figure out what it's going to cost with shipping, etc. Bottom line at this point, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable ordering it off these websites.

Thanks, Dave

A few questions:
There are spray attachments for the Floid bottles, as shown in the image below:
proxy.php

but these seem to be very difficult to come by - a guy from an Italian shopping site told me they are no longer being produced.
Wouldn't it be difficult to get the right amount out of these big bottles without the "spruzzatore" (the spray thing)?

Is the Blue Floid better for the skin than the orange "Genuine Floid". They both seem to have low alcohol percentage and contain glycerin?

Any comment about the differences in smell? The Orange Floid was described here as a "powdery, barbershop type smell", and according to the site of Intercosmo (makers of floid), the Blue variety has a fragrance "adapted for younger people".

Also, Taylor's splash (to the best of my knowledge) has no moisturative ingredients whatsoever.

Edit - Taylor does not have moisturative ingredients. In fact, its basically scented watered-down alcohol with an absorptive chemcial :

Ingredients: Alcohol Denat (SD Alcohol 40-B), Water, Perfume, Isopropyl Myristate.

I believe the Isopropyl Myristate is a moisturiser- it is well absorbed, so will not leave the skin "tacky" as glycerin will in excess. Taylors Sandalwood splash also contains another oil to improve moisturisation.

The Italian Floid is nice in terms of the cooling sensation it gives, but I personally prefer the Spanish Floid. I agree that both of these aftershaves seem to be very similar in terms of their scent (although, yes, the Italian Floid does perhaps have a more 'powdery' scent to it). In my experience however, the scent of the Italian Floid seems to dissipate fairly quickly, and seems quite subtle in comparison. In saying that, I'd still avoid using it with a cologne, as what Joel advises above.

The Spanish Floid, as well as having the great cooling effect of the Italian version as an A/S splash, also seems to have the properties of a cologne in view of its staying power, and personally that is what I like about it, i.e. as an A/S it does two things in one single usage. And because of that I simply get more enjoyment using it. Smells great too IMHO.

Top Bottom