What's new

Is the "Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling" a Tech?

The Knack was a TTO, while these are three-piece razors.

You could say the Knack was a Tech in the same sense that the Ranger Tech was a Tech — technically speaking. By that standard all the Gillettes after about 1940 were Techs. But in common usage "Tech" usually means a three-piece razor.

Arf. You're right. But it depends what's your reference !
Mr-Razor classify the Knack as Gillette Tech. (it's one of my favorite site shaving reference website)
I like "Tech" and I find sometimes difficult to identify them.

Gillette Licensed Tech razors are about as good as it gets without searching on the Bay for an Original good one or a pig in a poke. These Bay guys are experts at taking photos which only show the good parts of a razor IMO.

Interesting how many varients of this razor there are. Heres the South African copy the lion DE. This was actually my first ever DE razor, costing 25 rand or 1,5 dollars.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

The Gillette Sterling, Rubie, Super Blue Blade, Lion, etc., razor is actually a damn fine razor IMO with its only fault being light (pot metal obviously). However, it makes up for that with maneuverability. You can actually "cheat" just a tad by using a little pressure and the wafer thin head is perfect for nooks & crannies. I have always received a DFS with one.

The Gillette Sterling, Rubie, Super Blue Blade, Lion, etc., razor is actually a damn fine razor IMO with its only fault being light (pot metal obviously). However, it makes up for that with maneuverability. You can actually "cheat" just a tad by using a little pressure and the wafer thin head is perfect for nooks & crannies. I have always received a DFS with one.
I used the lion this morning, and honestly it was the best shave of my life. Don't get me wrong, i love my fancy razor's, but im really glad that i started out with this razor and its the perfect travel razor.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

The Indian Sterling and the 1979 plastic handle Tech have different gaps. The Sterling's gap is bigger. So they aren't the same. The Sterling isn't particularly good for inexperienced users. The now discontinued Russian Gillette Rubie has almost identical gap to the 1979 Tech.

I used the Gillette 7 OC Sterling a few days ago for the first time and it doesn't shave like the UK made Techs I own (Fat Handle, Ball End, Aluminium) or the MIC Techs (YingJili, Rimei) - all of which are on the mild side of things (some more less than others).

The 7OC Sterling is quite aggressive. It looks like a Tech through and through and it is a Tech, but it doesn't shave like the others.

Writing this, I have just come to realise I own 6 Tech style razors...

I used the Gillette 7 OC Sterling a few days ago for the first time and it doesn't shave like the UK made Techs I own (Fat Handle, Ball End, Aluminium) or the MIC Techs (YingJili, Rimei) - all of which are on the mild side of things (some more less than others).

The 7OC Sterling is quite aggressive. It looks like a Tech through and through and it is a Tech, but it doesn't shave like the others.

Writing this, I have just come to realise I own 6 Tech style razors...

Interesting. Do you know how the made in China Gillette Super Blue compares? I have one of those and find it a bit mild, but I don't have any of the others to compare it against. I do have a Rapira tech-style razor I much prefer, but that's not a Gillette.

Interesting. Do you know how the made in China Gillette Super Blue compares? I have one of those and find it a bit mild, but I don't have any of the others to compare it against. I do have a Rapira tech-style razor I much prefer, but that's not a Gillette.

I don't own the MIC Super Blue Tech but I have a suspicion it might be close to the YingJili Tech which is a very nice smooth and efficient Tech design. The MII Sterling Tech has more blade feel and is more aggressive.

I have a Super Blue one and I measured the blade gap at 0.025" which is what all Tech razors measure at + or - 0.002" from 1939 that I have measured with feeler gauges. The only difference being with this one is it has a thinner head & base plate which may or may not change your angle of attack a tad.

The current Super Blues (ordered 2 of them a couple of months ago) are made with the classic small gap, like the old Techs, The Rubie is quite similar. The Super Blue from 10-12 years ago was manufactured with much bigger gap. I still have one and use it

I used the Sterling last week and was quite pleased.
It is good enough to be my go-to razor. I am enjoying lighter equipment these days.

Top Bottom