What's new

Is the 34 C too short?

when you "choke up" on a longer handle you are likely just moving to the centre of gravity or balancing point, which is in a slightly different location on a barber pole vs a shorter HD. the longer handled razor will have more tipping weight than the shorter one when both are held at the COG and this will arguably make it more aggressive.

give your shorter HD a try for a while longer and if you want something that has some more heft later try the 38C.

Why do they make the long-handled models?
For Uber-handers? :001_smile

Yeah, I'd give the HD a chance. if it doesn't work out, look at a 38. I thought the handle was going to be short on the 38, but it is perfect, nice weight as well.

(well, nice for me, but then I'm 6'4", have large hands, and weight around 250) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
I shaved with the 34C this morning, using a new Derby blade. I got a nice shave, not much different (nothing discernible) from the Parker. However, the 34C traveled more smoothly, less drag. I could tell the shorter handle was on my mind, but I didn't fumble or drop the razor, so evidently it worked. Part of DE shaving seems to be the desire to acquire new gear, even if it's not needed. I can clearly shave with the 34C, no need to get a longer handle. However, need is not the only motive in play here.

I'm 6'4" with very large hands, and I find the normal Merkur handle length just fine. As people have said, you really want to hold the razor at the end anyway, so your hand size doesn't matter.

What matters to me about the Merkur 34C and 38C is not length of the handles, but the heft. Really helps focus on the proper technique. The shave from both is excellent.

I got the HD after using the 25c and also thoght it is too small , but I think it's matter of habit .
but I think you have the HD with long handle too , it the merkur 38c I thing . see if you can replace it if you want .

Top Bottom