What's new

Is Sugar Making A Comeback

Check your Spanish grocers. All their products have real sugar in them since it is a cash crop for them. Government protectionist measures none the less but it's better for us.

Yep. Many of the little Tiendas we have sprinkled all around here get their merchandise from Mexico. Mexican coke is still made with cane sugar.

I'd rather drink diet Coke than corn syrup Coke. The corn sweetener is made using a cracking process, sort of like refining crude oil into gasoline. It is not something you can make in the kitchen.

I've avoided HFCS like the plague since June 2008, but am not convinced that sugar is that much better for you. I've dropped about 110 lbs. since '08, but I avoid sweets in any form. Sugar might be slightly better than HFCS, but I think you're still better off keeping as many sweets as possible out of your diet.

I rarely drink 'soft drinks' but I do like the occasional Fernet and Coke. I wish Coca Cola would bring back Coke with real cane sugar... like they have in South America (or at least they use to have).

I buy Coke at my local Sam's Club because it's made in Mexico, with sugar. 24 12oz glass bottles in a case for $16.89, comes to 70 cents a piece whereas a 12oz can of Coke from vending machine or convenience store is anywhere from $1.00 to $1.09 around here. So I'm saving money and getting Coke made with sugar in awesome glass bottles.

MMmmm, remember the burn a good ice cold Coke from a glass bottle gives you on the throat?

I've avoided HFCS like the plague since June 2008, but am not convinced that sugar is that much better for you. I've dropped about 110 lbs. since '08, but I avoid sweets in any form. Sugar might be slightly better than HFCS, but I think you're still better off keeping as many sweets as possible out of your diet.

The problem with HFCS is that your body doesn't know it's getting sugar, hence the constant craving for sweets. The body is designed to digest natural sugars, including the white kind in a bag. It may be processed, but it's still natural. I guess HFCS is too but it's chemical structure isn't processed by the body/brain like sugar is.

+1

And congrats on the weight loss!

The problem with HFCS is that your body doesn't know it's getting sugar, hence the constant craving for sweets. The body is designed to digest natural sugars, including the white kind in a bag. It may be processed, but it's still natural. I guess HFCS is too but it's chemical structure isn't processed by the body/brain like sugar is.

Sucrose (cane sugar) is composed of equal parts glucose and fructose. Glucose is processed in your digestive system, but fructose is not--it is metabolized only in the liver. Same goes for HCFS--mostly all processed in the liver. Once in the liver, "it is converted to triglycerides--fat--and then shipped out on lipoproteins for storage." (Taubes, 2007*) In short: fructose is converted to fat. I suppose it can be considered natural, but only in small amounts, say what you might find in a small apple--but in the amounts we consume it (120lbs+/year for the average American) it is not.

*I'm quoting Gary Taubes, from the book Good Calories, Bad Calories. Great read.

I'm starting to think that HFCS is a conspiracy by Big Sugar to make sugar look heathy by comparison. :001_rolle

Seriously, I like sweets as much or more than the next guy, but let's not delude ourselves. Too much refined sugar in any form is not good for you. With sugar and HFCS it's degrees of bad, not bad vs. good.

I'm starting to think that HFCS is a conspiracy by Big Sugar to make sugar look heathy by comparison. :001_rolle

Seriously, I like sweets as much or more than the next guy, but let's not delude ourselves. Too much refined sugar in any form is not good for you. With sugar and HFCS it's degrees of bad, not bad vs. good.
What is scary is that the average American eats to the tune of over 100 pounds per year of the stuff. I eat hardly any, so that means . . . there is a kid somewhere that eats over 200lbs. of the stuff. :w00t:

My liver salutes you! :laugh:

So here's the question I have for everyone: Do you all actually notice a difference in taste when consuming a Coke, Pepsi that is made with real sugar? I have never had one, so I have no idea.

Absolutely. To me it is much smoother. Kind of like the difference between say a cheap liquor and a more refined liquor. Might be the same basic flavor, but one is easier as it goes down.

Michael

You guys may already know this, but kosher Coke is the old recipe as well. If you live near a Jewish neighborhood or any place that may sell kosher, you may be able to pick up the old Coke there. I think I read that it usually has a yellow cap on the 2 Liters.

I didn't know Pepsi used beet sugar in their Throwback. I knew it tasted alot like old Pepsi, but not quite. Still, its much better, IMO, than HFCS Pepsi!

if you've got a Kroger locally ask where they keep the "mexican foods" sometimes there's candles too, but you'll find Coke with real sugar, in large glass bottles, as well as a lovely sorta-grape soda(almost has a wine-like taste to it), the name of which eludes me at the moment.

I can't find any of the real sugar Cokes around here. There are plenty of the Mexican made Cokes, but all of those I have found contain corn syrup.

Personally, I like the glass bottle drink that use all cane sugar - Cheerwine, Sun Drop, Boylan's Reed Sodas and a few others. Reed's makes the absolute best Root Beer, Virgil's.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions here: Sugar, be it cane, corn, beet, or even honey, is all the same to one's body. Also it does not cause diabetes, but makes the condition much worse.

According to my Doctor, the current "epidemic" of diabetes, is a combination of too little activity, too much highly refined starches (including sugar) and not enough fiber in the diet, and being grossly over weight .

This can be blamed on many factors. Office workers used to walk papers around, now they are sent over the net. We live in suburbs where we have to drive to get anything instead of walking. We spend hours sitting in front of a TV screen, munching high calorie, zero fiber "snacks". Our kids (or grandchildren) play endless hours on sedentary video games, just to mention a few of the causes.

When was the last time you saw a workman digging a hole with a shovel? It is now done with a mini-backhoe. Faster, yes, but far less energy expended by the digger. (Take a look at his waistline!) Air powered nail guns instead of swinging a hammer, all in the name of "productivity". Yes they do that, but at a tremendous cost to the well-being of the workman. :a26:

Riding powered lawn-mowers instead of reel mowers that have to be pushed to make them work. I could go on and on, but I won't. I think you get the picture.

Too much of anything is not good, including sitting and not moving enough while we work!:incazzato end of rant.

Top Bottom