What's new

Is it the challenge of the soap that appeals?

Since converting to soaps its evident there seems to be more slickness and protection than with cream.

I thoroughly enjoy the process of getting good lather, but the reason I use soaps is because of the superior performance.

I agree. I also use straight razors most of the time. Performance puts soaps ahead of creams in my book.

No, it's not the challenge. For me, creams are more of a challenge, but maybe that's because I use soaps most often.

Soaps provide better protection for my face than do creams.
Soaps give me a great shave.
Soaps are easy to use.
Soaps are fun! :thumbup:

I have been using soaps pretty much from the beginning with the occasional cream to switch it up. But it's not so much a challenge as long as the water is not hard. And I use the soap cause I feel it protects better.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it seems that there are a lot of people out there that enjoy the 'romance' of building a lather from a soap. I think I'm heading the same way ... and have been reading a bunch of stuff about which hard soap to get first. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a puck of AOS (perhaps Sandalwood) because from what I can tell, tallow soaps are very popular and AOS is a popular, good quality soap. I have also been thinking about MWF though ... decisions decisions ...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I agree with those that say soaps provide better protection but I also like the way my face feels after the final rinse when the shave is complete. With creams, I also felt there was some residue. With soap, my face just feels cleaner.

When you get your MWF do a comparision with a cream and see if you agree.

I agree with those that say soaps provide better protection but I also like the way my face feels after the final rinse when the shave is complete. With creams, I also felt there was some residue. With soap, my face just feels cleaner.

I do dislike that about CO Bigelow, and the ring around the sink I have to clean up.

The scent and feel are wonderful during the shave, and after warm rinse, tepid rinse and witch hazel I am over the sticky feel.
...but still need to clean the sink.:huh:

Phil

Kind of off topic, but since sink cleaning was brought up... Early in my wet shave career, I picked up one of those green plastic handle Van Der Hagen brushes. It quickly was replaced by several (slightly) higher end badger and boar brushes, but I still use it every day. After I drain the sink, I run some hot water over the VDH brush and gently scrub the sink. No muss, (what ever that is) no fuss. Clean sink in no time at all:thumbup:

So, I was wondering, for all you soap users out there, is a large part of the appeal of using a hard soap like MWF, Tabac, etc the fact that you enjoy the daily challenge of getting a great lather from a soap? Or is it something else?

Getting a great lather from Tabac is not a challenge at all.

As a general rule, I find soaps give better protecton than creams, and better razor glide. There's also more satisfaction of generating a lather from a hard soap, which varies from brand to brand.

David

I think that most soaps are a little more challenging than creams. With creams, I pretty much get the same result no matter what I use. I just put an almond size dollop in my bowl, add a little water and swirl.

With soaps... it takes a little more experimentation and practice to get it just right. They're a little more finicky, but when you finally get it right it's a little more rewarding.

But the truth is that you should enjoy both no matter what.

Well, I got some MWF for Christmas ... and I have to say that I cannot understand all the stuff people have written about it being hard to lather. First time I used it I easily made a beautiful thick, creamy lather that gave me one of the closest shaves I've had since I started DE shaving. This was with a Muhle silvertip as well. As far as I'm concerned, the MWF is living up to its reputation on the boards and I'm looking forward to using it every day.

Oh, and the container is awesome too.

... and I have to say that I cannot understand all the stuff people have written about it being hard to lather. First time I used it I easily made a beautiful thick, creamy lather ...
It depends on what you are used to. To make thick creamy lather MWF takes a lot more water than an average soap and progresses to that state in what I would consider a suspect way.

But MWF doesn't agree with me all the same.

Better shave with soaps than cream - although not a significant difference.

Also, the shear variety of choices in soaps gives a lot of variety in smells, which is very nice for the shave. Mama Bear soaps alone could keep you busy for the rest of your life w/o repeating a fragrance. And that's just one of many, many producers.

Also, the "extra work" of soap is really minimal vs creams. Soap takes maybe an extra minute to prep the soap and soap your brush. Then you generate the lather more or less like a cream.

My first step away from canned products was a soap that has a reputation for being hard to lather, its detractors would say impossible. Once I worked out how to lather with it, which wasn't really that hard, other soaps were pretty easy as well.

So to answer the original question, no it's not the challenge, because it's not that challenging. I do like the lather I get with my soaps, but there are good creams as well. I rotate between them without "soaps vs creams" really being an issue. It's just a matter of variety.

Top Bottom