What's new

Is it possible to transform a glossy resin handle to a matte finish?

Is this at all possible?

I don't really like shiny things and the matte finish will probably give a better grip too.

Perhaps @Rudy Vey could share his experience with this?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Is this at all possible?

I don't really like shiny things and the matte finish will probably give a better grip too.

Perhaps @Rudy Vey could share his experience with this?
Not much experience here. Had the request only a few times. Once I used a tumbler with sand, and the other case a friend with a sand blaster helped out. But, this were just handles only, not complete brushes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Of course you can use sandpaper and get a better gripping surface, but you might find it on the ugly side. If you decide to go that route I'd start with maybe 320 grit and slowly work my way down from there. Too risky for me, but I suppose it depends on how much you dislike the current finish.

Not much experience here. Had the request only a few times. Once I used a tumbler with sand, and the other case a friend with a sand blaster helped out. But, this were just handles only, not complete brushes.

Of course you can use sandpaper and get a better gripping surface, but you might find it on the ugly side. If you decide to go that route I'd start with maybe 320 grit and slowly work my way down from there. Too risky for me, but I suppose it depends on how much you dislike the current finish.

Thanks gents!

I guess I was looking for a way to get a matte finish but without damaging the handle or having ugly sanding lines.

I guess for a complete brush, wet sanding may be an option but I don't think I could bring myself to risk it.

I’m totally guessing here, but could you use a fine grit sandpaper to rough it up and then some kind of buffing attachment on a dremel-type tool to smooth it out but still leave a matte finish?

Reactions: nav
Three ideas, but no actual experience with this exactly. I probably wouldn't sand it because it's hard to achieve uniformity that way.

1. Media/sand blasting. Uniform results, easy to do if you have the equipment. Annoying to outsource if you don't have access.

2. Matte clear coat. I think this might be a good way to go. You probably won't gain grip, but you can take away the gloss. Easy and cheap.

3. Sand, primer, paint. You'll lose the entire look of the thing which sucks, but you can completely dictate the finish and surface feel.

Depending on the type of resin... you could try a chemical etch using an organic solvent (think paint thinner, goof off, or even Berryman B12, increasing in order of strength/intensity) to cloud the glossed surface.

I would test this on one very small spot with a q-tip or something just to see how reactive the specific resin is, and then go from there! If it reacts positively and does not leave the surface gooey or sticky, you should be able to wipe the surface with a towel and get a nice, relatively even clouding of the surface! Just keep in mind that this stuff can also dissolve glues and epoxies, so keep it out of the knot just to be safe!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The only feasible way I see to make a glossy brush matte is to sandblast it. Make sure the knot is well covered, use masking tape, wrapped around the knots exactly where it leaves the handle. Make sure you us a small, handheld sand blasting unit, work outside and rotate the brush by holding it in the knot area.
This seems for me the most simple and logical way to get a uniform (!!!) effect. Doubt that hand sanding will give you the same effect, with the blasting one can also get into smaller crevices where the sand paper will not go in easy.

Three ideas, but no actual experience with this exactly. I probably wouldn't sand it because it's hard to achieve uniformity that way.

1. Media/sand blasting. Uniform results, easy to do if you have the equipment. Annoying to outsource if you don't have access.

2. Matte clear coat. I think this might be a good way to go. You probably won't gain grip, but you can take away the gloss. Easy and cheap.

3. Sand, primer, paint. You'll lose the entire look of the thing which sucks, but you can completely dictate the finish and surface feel.

Thanks Shane!

I'll try to source some matte clear coat.
Seems like the safest option for the handle.

Top Bottom