What's new

Is it just me or is RazoRock the deal of the century?

I was sorting through my Den the other day and came to the conclusion that I REALLY like RazoRock soaps and for the money they must be one of the best deals in wet shaving.

I have X and XXX and Classic. For under 10 bucks they perform with my other favorites (B&M, Stroppe), they smell great and they last forever.

Is it just me?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
No! I just placed an order for Mudder Focker soap. I have not tried their shave soaps, but I have tried their face soaps/oils/tonics, which are all top notch.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For under 10 bucks they perform with my other favorites (B&M, Stroppe), they smell great and they last forever.

Is it just me?

Longevity is not one of their strongest points when compared to something like MWF or Pre de Provence. Performance is good, though.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Longevity is not one of their strongest points when compared to something like MWF or Pre de Provence. Performance is good, though.
True, but, in all fairness, those are some of the hardest soaps in existence

RazoRock soaps perform well, but they aren't in the same category as Barrister & Mann for me. Good, aggressively-priced products.

Joe and his partners in Italy, put together an excellent range of shave soaps.
Thank the direct marketing of the internet to keep their costs low.
Plus an unmatched range of scents and varieties.
Deal of the century? Well, probably not that great, but certainly great value.
Enjoy the golden age of wet shaving while we have it!!

proxy.php

Exactly.

I absolutely love RazoRock products and I will continue to purchase and use them. However, I cannot help thinking of them whenever folks complain about the cost of products such as XPEC, MdC, Castle Forbes, etc. While certainly more expensive upfront, I would not be at all surprised if the aforementioned products (I have them all and unlike RazoRock products they last forever) and others like them worked out to be less expensive than RazoRock on a cost-per-use basis.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
True, but, in all fairness, those are some of the hardest soaps in existence

So maybe MWF and other sub-$20 hard soaps are the deal of the century -- I was attempting to comment on the OP's statement about value.

I tend to agree. I'm from Ontario so have a sense of loyalty toward Joe and his store. I just binged on some of his latest releases.

Not sure if they are the deal of the century but they are an excellent value for both scent and performance. I've got 6-8 of his soaps and love them all.

Exactly.

I absolutely love RazoRock products and I will continue to purchase and use them. However, I cannot help thinking of them whenever folks complain about the cost of products such as XPEC, MdC, Castle Forbes, etc. While certainly more expensive upfront, I would not be at all surprised if the aforementioned products (I have them all and unlike RazoRock products they last forever) and others like them worked out to be less expensive than RazoRock on a cost-per-use basis.

+1 I do really like RazoRock products as well and I will continue to purchase them but as Tim said, what people fail to do when they purchase a soap like this is to compute the cost per shave as opposed to the cost for the tub. Just check out the 3017 thread to get an idea of how long a particular soap will last.

I generally get a month of great shaves from a tub of RazoRock soap (especially Mudder Focker which I believe is their best soap) so I'm at about $10 per month to use RazoRock soap

However if I asked you if the Art of Shaving soap is expensive you'd probably say yes. But at $30 per refill ($24 during their 20% off sales) it lasts me around five to six months for a puck. So the super expensive Art of Shaving soap costs me $6 per month.

A $70 jar of Martin de Candre (which is one of the highest priced soaps you can buy) lasts me around 10 months so I'm at $7 per month on that one making this ultra expensive soap cheaper than RazoRock by a good amount.

A $15 puck of MWF lasts around six months so it's about $2.50 a month or 1/4 the cost of RazoRock. I can keep going but I'm sure you get the idea.

So is it the deal of the century? Nope, but it's a great soap that I'll keep enjoying even if it does cost me more than MdC.

No! I just placed an order for Mudder Focker soap. I have not tried their shave soaps, but I have tried their face soaps/oils/tonics, which are all top notch.

Mudder Focker is, in my opinion, by far their best soap. So, nice choice their. I wish I knew who made this particular soap for RazoRock or that they would at least make some more soaps with the same formula because I'd love to have more to choose from.

After that I like their XXX, The Freedburg, and Tight Buns soaps. They all use the same soap formula which is different from their Mudder Focker.

To keep on the topic dfoulk touched on regarding cost per shave/month. I can't argue with math (tried once, didn't turn out well for me) but I can say that for those (like me) who don't (read wont) have $70 to drop on one soap it's nice to have access to good quality products that offer a variety of formulas and scents. Although ultimately more expensive in the long run, sometimes accessibility is worth something.

I'm in no way trying to start an argument just thought I'd add a different perspective on the conversation.

You wont get an arguement from me as i like a variety as well. Using the same soap every day is boring. It's like torture to me. Buying some of these expensive soaps is like going to costco. You pay quite a bit up front but you do save in the long run. I do get the other side as well though as I'd go to Costco drop 300 dollars and get home to wonder what the hell I bought. I hated dropping so much on only a few things but I didn't need laundry soap for a year.

ok..."Deal of the Century" was a poetic attempt to make a point.

Regarding longevity, I kind of like the fact that RR doesn't last "forever". It seems like we all have more than a few soaps in our rotation and we never seem shy about trying a new one here and there so why fret over duration? I wish soaps like MDC, Forbes, etc came in smaller puck sizes so you could give them a go without the "Costco" remorse factor.

Back to RR. If you like the classic Italian almond soaps (Cella, Vitos. etc) give RR Classic a shot. I think it wins the race.

Ciao for now!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]For me no. As others said the longevity/cost ratio does not make it a deal at all, in fact one of the most expensive. Terrible ROI. Great marketing yes, great value, not at all. It's cheap upfront, but expensive in the long run. As long as you like it and see the value that is all that matters.[/COLOR]

Top Bottom