What's new

Is it a bad idea to clean and use this antique razor?

Doesn't matter. I'd still shave with it.

Oh, I wouldn't suggest he not shave with it! :-D Only that it might require a slightly different cleaning technique. :) If the "gold" color the OP describes is truly gold, then a little more care should probably be taken in shining it up, to avoid damaging the plating. If it's the brass showing, then a soap in piping hit dishwater and some scrubbles will make it perform like a champ. :)

I specifically wrote "gold color" because i just don't know. I assume that when I post the pics I'll be a bit closer to learning which if some of you can make such a judgement.

Thanks again!

I specifically wrote "gold color" because i just don't know. I assume that when I post the pics I'll be a bit closer to learning which if some of you can make such a judgement.

Thanks again!

Yes, most definitely. The difference between brass and gold is pretty stark, even though many eBay sellers list items as "Gold Gillette Safety Razor" and the like. A picture should clear up any doubts.

The "value" of that razor in average "user" condition is in the $25-50 range, you're not going to blow your kids' college fund even if you mess it up :)

That makes me feel better. I've seen too many episodes of Pawn Shop where a person ruins the substantial value of an antique gun by sanding the patina off

Here we go. Pictures!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 161
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 158
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 159
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 159
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 158
Note all the green funk and that there is a thin crack at both ends of the stem. Hopefully someone can tell me a little bit about this razor. No signature :(

There's some gold left there, mostly on the handle.The head seems to be totally stripped, which doesn't matter. It will shave great.
The barrel is upside down btw! :tongue_smWhat's the serial #? I can't quite tell from the pic.

Enjoy it.

Typical old type. Clean it in hot water- i.e. just off the boil, let it soak for 5 mins or so. DO NOT BOIL the razor.

Then once its cooled a bit, scrub gently with an old tooth brush. Rinse off, then soak it in Scrubbing Bubbles, a few minutes. Then run the toothbrush over it again, and rinse.

It is now ready to shave. :)

Thanks! P 55936 (that 9 may be a 3) is the number on the head. And i dont think the barrel detaches from the head, so are you sure its backwards?

Typical old type. Clean it in hot water- i.e. just off the boil, let it soak for 5 mins or so. DO NOT BOIL the razor.

Then once its cooled a bit, scrub gently with an old tooth brush. Rinse off, then soak it in Scrubbing Bubbles, a few minutes. Then run the toothbrush over it again, and rinse.

It is now ready to shave. :)

what about disinfectant? I understand that boiling may damage, but i feel like i should do something to disinfect for health sake. And the "old type" is this really from 1904?

The near boiling and scrubbing bubbles will disinfect just fine. Any real nasties are long gone from the razor, they don't like to live on dry, hard metal surfaces.

The near boiling and scrubbing bubbles will disinfect just fine. Any real nasties are long gone from the razor, they don't like to live on dry, hard metal surfaces.

I read up a little on the Wiki of this site and it was talking abiut using MetalWax products in the cleaning and polishing routine. Do you think that is unnecessary? I prefer the methos you described because it seems easier and doesnt require a trip to the store or to purchase anything :)

If you ask me, all that razor needs is some hot water, dish soap and an old toothbrush. I wouldn't even polish it. First because you would remove the plating that's left on the handle, and second I think it's good to leave some of the character. It will be perfectly clean and shave ready once you finish. :001_cool:

If you ask me, all that razor needs is some hot water, dish soap and an old toothbrush. I wouldn't even polish it. First because you would remove the plating that's left on the handle, and second I think it's good to leave some of the character. It will be perfectly clean and shave ready once you finish. :001_cool:

Thank you :). I've seen two varients in this thread on cleaning. The difference being dish soap versus scrubbing bubbles. I have both. Does it matter which? I may go do this right now for tomorrows shave :)

Top Bottom