What's new

Is bbs a myth

Anytime when I shave I get a BBS. On my first shave I had a BBS and always had. Because I was afraid I would cut myself and bleed death (lmao), so I shaved very cautious and took a lot of time to prep my face with hot water. An another thing I did was map the beard growth, because in almost every YouTube clip I saw the guys simply went from north to south when they did a WTG and from south to north when they did a ATG. I noticed that my beard was growing in an another direction(s) so I had to adjust these passes according to the direction of their growth. That did it for me.

It's not hard really, I think everyone can do it. All you need to do is to take your time, don't rush. You really need to map out your beard growth, if you know the hair growth directions of your beard you can apply the passes into the proper direction. And believe me MANY people make this mistake! Don't make this mistake.

If I do noxzema and a hot towel, and have no more than a days growth, I MIGHT be able to start ATG, otherwise the blade would catch/drag severely and be painful & probably bloody. My facial hair is thick/tough/wiry.

Last edited:
For me it takes 4+ passes. Wtg, xtg, xtg (the other way), atg. Then a clean up atg pass. If you follow your hair growth pattern well enough, most should have dfs/bbs I believe. Side note, I don't hold my neck to the same standard. Anything approaching dfs there is good enough for me

It's certainly achievable, but it shouldn't be your goal. Your goal should be a DFS.
Why not? You only get a BBS if you apply the passes correctly according to the growth direction of your whiskers. In my opinion when you get a BBS you have pulled out the maximum of your setup and technique. Getting a BBS is what I love the most of this hobby, back when I shaved with the M3 and Fusion I could dream of a BBS.

Why not? You only get a BBS if you apply the passes correctly according to the growth direction of your whiskers. In my opinion when you get a BBS you have pulled out the maximum of your setup and technique. Getting a BBS is what I love the most of this hobby, back when I shaved with the M3 and Fusion I could dream of a BBS.

I had a neighbor a couple of doors down who would ride with me and my wife once in a while. We all had Harleys. The difference was that my neighbor always had his in pieces. There was always a new carburetor, exhaust pipe, or performance widget he had to try. Of course, that also meant he was not always ready for a ride.
I don't think this hobby is a lot different. Lots of folk want to perfect the art; try two different blades on a single shave, get shave number 83 out of a blade, perfect their own home-made soap - or chase the BBS. Other folk want to relax and "enjoy the ride". It is more important that the shave that feels good and provides relaxation, than it is to achieve a goal.

Neither approach is better, and certainly, neither is wrong. Guess it is why B&B has so many members.

What I should have said and what I meant is that one shouldn't be consumed with finally being able to achieve a BBS. If one is happy with a DFS, then so be it. That's great. BBS will come with time and practice...and some failure. When I first started, that's all I sought. Then, I was disappointed when I didn't get a BBS. But I eventually learned to be happy with a DFS. BBS happens occasionally, but it's not certainly something I need. But boy it does sure feel good!

I had a neighbor a couple of doors down who would ride with me and my wife once in a while. We all had Harleys. The difference was that my neighbor always had his in pieces. There was always a new carburetor, exhaust pipe, or performance widget he had to try. Of course, that also meant he was not always ready for a ride.
I don't think this hobby is a lot different. Lots of folk want to perfect the art; try two different blades on a single shave, get shave number 83 out of a blade, perfect their own home-made soap - or chase the BBS. Other folk want to relax and "enjoy the ride". It is more important that the shave that feels good and provides relaxation, than it is to achieve a goal.

Neither approach is better, and certainly, neither is wrong. Guess it is why B&B has so many members.

Every hobby costs money, I had a period that I wanted to purchase any soap or AS I saw online but that would ruin me. I know that many of my hobbies got out of control; I spend too much money on them. This is the reason why I don't want to spend a lot of money in this hobby. Still, its really tempting whenever I see a new product I will hit up Amazon and read the reviews and than I will imagine the product in front of me and ask all kind of stupid questions like "how does it smell?" "How does it perform?", thats why I keep my hands away from those sites lol.

What I should have said and what I meant is that one shouldn't be consumed with finally being able to achieve a BBS. If one is happy with a DFS, then so be it. That's great. BBS will come with time and practice...and some failure. When I first started, that's all I sought. Then, I was disappointed when I didn't get a BBS. But I eventually learned to be happy with a DFS. BBS happens occasionally, but it's not certainly something I need. But boy it does sure feel good!
I understand what you mean. The quality of my first DE shave amazed me that I decided to give all my left over Fusion carts away. Even with a single pass you'll get better results compared to a cart.

It's certainly achievable, but it shouldn't be your goal. Your goal should be a DFS.

Totally disagree. That's like saying one should never try to achieve the best they can do. Close enough is good enough. meh.

Sorry to disagree but its all opinion anyway.

there's nothing wrong with dfs, and i think there's nothing wrong with aiming for that. But considering I do go atg, if I have the time, a few more enjoyable re-lathers and a few more atg passes or touch ups makes my face so smooth, that I believe the time to be well spent. I like it and wish I had the time to get it more. My thick hair makes it time consuming on a work day

Top Bottom