What's new

Is bbs a myth

BBS isn't a myth, but...
BBS is not a goal, it's an occurrence.
The goal is proper technique and execution. If you have proper technique and execution, BBS will find you.
Chasing BBS leads to many problems: irritation, nicks and cuts, frustration and a host of related issues.

Amen to that! I find a close shave is dependent on lots of variables - prep, product, technique, and compatibility of all of those with my face. Today had what could be best shave ever - o don't the elusive BBS: Merkur 23c, Feather blade and AoS system sampler. I normally get a good shave with other product combo but this time I'm saying wow-wow-wow.

For me it is a mix. I get BBS on certain parts of my face everyday. Other parts can't take an aggressive ATG pass without irritation so just a DFS shave there. This is clearly one of those YMMV areas, but not a myth.

Lots of good in this thread, especially the posts about BBS being a happy surprise when it happens and not something to chase. They happen fairly regularly for me, despite me only shooting for a DFS, but going all in on insisting to get one usually leads to irritation, and that's just silly.

Lots of musing on this theme over the ages :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

Last edited:
For me it is a mix. I get BBS on certain parts of my face everyday. Other parts can't take an aggressive ATG pass without irritation so just a DFS shave there. This is clearly one of those YMMV areas, but not a myth.

One of my sons has slower growing softer facial hair and can easily get a BBS nearly any time with anything. The other has tough, course, fast growing facial hair like me and has never gotten one. Neither have I. Like Red One, I can get it in some places but never the whole thing. As long as it's decent I'm OK though.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

This is closer to the truth...bbs on some parts which means it is not a bbs. I still say it is a myth unless you are pubescent or have really fine hair...neck and jaw line my friends, neck and jaw line.

This is closer to the truth...bbs on some parts which means it is not a bbs. I still say it is a myth unless you are pubescent or have really fine hair...neck and jaw line my friends, neck and jaw line.

Neck and jaw line, what?

I have pretty thick, wiry facial hair, and can get BBS, (yes I said it, and I know what it means...) almost any time I want to. Notice I said want to, not just every time. That requires a couple of things: I have to spend the time to do clean up, and get those spots I might have missed, and usually it means I was in the mood to use a more aggressive razor. Merkur Futur, R41, Fatip, ATT H2 and S2, are all razors I would use as an example. Taking the time though, is the most important factor.

I agree with you that it may be overplayed a bit. I also agree that young, fairer haired types probably have an easier time, but it is hardly a myth. Even for an old silverback gorilla like me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
[COLOR=#333333 said:
I have pretty thick, wiry facial hair, and can get BBS, (yes I said it, and I know what it means...) almost any time I want to. Notice I said want to, not just every time.[/COLOR]

I agree with you that it may be overplayed a bit. I also agree that young, fairer haired types probably have an easier time, but it is hardly a myth. Even for an old silverback gorilla like me.

I'll give you that...and probably mention "almost any time I want to" due to the condition it would leave one's skin in. Why bother to chase the monkey when DFS will do superbly? :wink2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I am so sorry, please forgive me, but I can't help getting this image of some guy who's face looks like Freddie Krueger's in my mind saying, "I got a bbs and all it took was a Frankenrazor, a feather, and some touch up"! I just had to share that image lol!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
...but seriously, if I get a shave that is totally smooth in three of the four directions and almost non-existent on the forth I'm so totally happy! It means I most likely checked razor burn from occuring, and I didn't cut the hair below the skin for ingrowns to occur.

hi all, just wondered what your thoughts were on bbs? Is it really achievable?

Of course. That was the point of my question in this thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/473637-BBS-What?highlight= I didn't understand there was anything else.

I am pretty much convinced that not achieving it is a combinations of:

A. Not even time - who wants to spend a lot of time shaving. Life is short. I got other stuff to do.

B. Irritation. It hurts. Time to move on.

But the goal every time is BBS.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I can definitely get there, though I don't chase it. I do need to go ATG to get to DFS, let alone BBS. Having said that, I may feel BBS (i.e. glassy smooth in all directions, can rub the cotton ball all over, etc), but I will never look it. Thanks to my Irish ancestry, I have pasty white skin and dark, thick stubble, therefore I sport a shadow to some degree.

Realistically though, is much of what happens in daily routine really worth it? Sure we all have business meetings sometimes, but the odds of one of them being 'important' are small usually. I'll go for BBS on a first date, or an important meeting, but overtime those things get smaller in numbers, sort of.

I don't know, I most often go for BBS on a weekend, when I have absolutely nothing else going on. Just to bask in the glow of my own awesomeness, because I can. :) :)

If I take 5 B&B members and provide them with the same razor, blade, soap, etc., and then provide them with specific instructions to follow under the guidance of a monitor, I'd still expect 5 different results. Why? Hair, skin, age, weight, visual acuity, strength, steadiness of hand, and other things that go into making a human.

I get BBS slightly more than half my shaves. Why? (read my list above - then add to it, blade, razor, lather quality, etc.), but... Who cares? So long as the experience is pleasurable. When it's all done and I splash on some Clubman Special Reserve, I grin about the same amount whether it is BBS or DFS.

I can get a BBS whenever I want one. It does take time, practice, and patience. The brush, soap, razor and blade combination is a huge part of getting a BBS.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I can definitely get there, though I don't chase it. I do need to go ATG to get to DFS, let alone BBS. Having said that, I may feel BBS (i.e. glassy smooth in all directions, can rub the cotton ball all over, etc), but I will never look it. Thanks to my Irish ancestry, I have pasty white skin and dark, thick stubble, therefore I sport a shadow to some degree.

I'm the opposite. Thanks to being Dutch I have a very light complexion with very light red/blond hair (mostly white now). I have the type of skin that never tans it only burns. I look like I have absolutely no facial hair two days after a shave, yet I never get a bbs if I did I would have razor burn from hell.

If I take 5 B&B members and provide them with the same razor, blade, soap, etc., and then provide them with specific instructions to follow under the guidance of a monitor, I'd still expect 5 different results. Why? Hair, skin, age, weight, visual acuity, strength, steadiness of hand, and other things that go into making a human.

I get BBS slightly more than half my shaves. Why? (read my list above - then add to it, blade, razor, lather quality, etc.), but... Who cares? So long as the experience is pleasurable. When it's all done and I splash on some Clubman Special Reserve, I grin about the same amount whether it is BBS or DFS.

You had me locked in till you said Club man Special Reserve. [emoji6]

I'm the opposite. Thanks to being Dutch I have a very light complexion with very light red/blond hair (mostly white now). I have the type of skin that never tans it only burns. I look like I have absolutely no facial hair two days after a shave, yet I never get a bbs if I did I would have razor burn from hell.

I struggle with the complexion thing too, and the bloody burning up in the sun light thing! Luckily I live at night and sleep through the day! However I have quite 'course' dark brown (and silver :tongue_sm) facial hair. Kind of a struggle being rough enough to get through that but be gentle to my face at the same time. NO pressure is a great idea with me!

Top Bottom