What's new

Irish dry stouts

I really like Guinness—especially from a nitro tap at a bar but I still like the nitro cans at home. But here’s my hot take—I just tried Murphy’s for the first time and I might like it better! It has a bit of a chocolate taste I don’t get in Guinness. I think I need to do a blind tasting of them next to each other.

Any other dry stouts I should look for?

Left Hand out of Colorado makes a dry Irish nitro stout. They have pretty good distribution nationally so you may find it in your area. It was best if you "slam poured" it.... holding the can upside down and letting it flow into the glass as fast and hard as it'll go. I can't remember when I last had a Guinness of any kind so I can't compare the two.

Left Hand out of Colorado makes a dry Irish nitro stout. They have pretty good distribution nationally so you may find it in your area. It was best if you "slam poured" it.... holding the can upside down and letting it flow into the glass as fast and hard as it'll go. I can't remember when I last had a Guinness of any kind so I can't compare the two.
Thanks for the suggestion! My local store has their milk stout, s'mores stout, and peanut butter stout, but is currently out of stock on the Irish dry. I'll keep a lookout for it.

Found some today...

20231008_172602.jpg

Comes in a six, and they're pints, it was around $15 after tax. The nitro "wedgit" is built into the can on the bottom, and this was right after my "banzai!" pour...
Nice and smooth, coffee, a little chocolate, and cracker-like flavors. 4.3%, so very sessionable. I'd really advise you to explore the other stouts; brewers seem drawn to the style for experimentation with flavors. My suggestion for you is to try Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout... I think you'll fall in love.....

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I just tried Murphy’s for the first time and I might like it better!

Mrs. Hippie would agree with you. She's a Murphy's girl. I prefer my Porchop in a Bottle to have a Guiness label. :)

Not specifically a dry stout, but Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout is nicely chewy.

I have occasionally made stouts. My favourite one to date was a maple stout made with what we used to call "Grade D" maple syrup. Very dark, deep, suggestive of hidden eldritch knowings.

O.H.

That’s definitely the best method I’ve found of pouring nitro beers from the can.

Some good sounding stuff here. I’ll be on the hunt.

Top Bottom