What's new

Introducing safety razor shaving to a teenager

An idea came to the Major a few nights ago: Should he introduce the idea of double-edged safety razor shaving to his 19-year-old stepson Seth? The thought arose as a somewhat casual side in the other post. But, it occurs the Major that this could provide an excellent opportunity for bonding between him and the young man.

Besides, it's not as if the Major doesn't have at least one safety razor that he could give to Seth. Or, perhaps, the gift could be an opportunity to find him a vinrage razor that connects to a year in his family's history.

The question, of course, is how to open the conversation. One idea would be to point out to his to Seth that this is the way that how Seth's grandfather and great grandfather learned to shave. Another appeal, perhaps, would be to his stepson's inevitable teenage vanity; that this provides a far closer shave then any cartridge razor, and certainly any electric, can provide. And, of course, new blades for a safety razor are very markedly less expensive than those for a cartridge razor.

The main challenge, of course, is that Seth has just begun shaving at all. And safety razor shaving can seem far more intimidating then any kind of cartridge shaving can be.

Thoughts, gentlefolk? How might the Major open this discussion? Should he do so at all?

-MO

The main challenge, of course, is that Seth has just begun shaving at all.
I was going to say that this would be a lot more challenging if he already been shaving for 5 years, but he hasn't so good luck to you! It sounds like any approach is going to be awkward so maybe just ask him if he wants to learn to shave with a real razor instead of a toy like his friends? I imagine the "wet" part is going to be more of a turn off(time) so maybe have some quick lathering shaving cream(Palmolive) ready.

First if kid does not have more the fuzz, do not encourage shaving, as beard will only come in faster.

Next if kids asks, show, tell, and say you want to try with my help.

See where this goes?🥳

Start by asking his opinion on the looks of a modern DE (like a Henson) versus one of the vintage designs similar to the ones you already have.

If you get the teenage eye roll, then move on.

Only proceed if interest is shown.

An idea came to the Major a few nights ago: Should he introduce the idea of double-edged safety razor shaving to his 19-year-old stepson Seth? The thought arose as a somewhat casual side in the other post. But, it occurs the Major that this could provide an excellent opportunity for bonding between him and the young man.

Besides, it's not as if the Major doesn't have at least one safety razor that he could give to Seth. Or, perhaps, the gift could be an opportunity to find him a vinrage razor that connects to a year in his family's history.

The question, of course, is how to open the conversation. One idea would be to point out to his to Seth that this is the way that how Seth's grandfather and great grandfather learned to shave. Another appeal, perhaps, would be to his stepson's inevitable teenage vanity; that this provides a far closer shave then any cartridge razor, and certainly any electric, can provide. And, of course, new blades for a safety razor are very markedly less expensive than those for a cartridge razor.

The main challenge, of course, is that Seth has just begun shaving at all. And safety razor shaving can seem far more intimidating then any kind of cartridge shaving can be.

Thoughts, gentlefolk? How might the Major open this discussion? Should he do so at all?

-MO
That's a tough one.
You might wanna recommend to him a mild TTO. Say, a Weishi (if you are in the US it is sold under a couple of brands). The TTO mechanism might be used as something that might interest him.

A quick FWIW: If I were inclined to give him a vintage razor, it would likely be a Super Speed Blue or a Slim Adjustable. Both are quite mild, & readily available. Note, also, that each is a TTO. And, since each is easily available, both would likely be inexpensive, which is a good for an experiment that could blow up on our faces.

As for blades, I'd start him of w/a few packs of Wilkinson Sword from my collection. That was my first safety blade purchase after a variety pack, since they represented a good compromise between sharpness & reduced chance of bloodletting. Of course, almost any kind of safety razor blades are a lot less expensive then his current brand of cartridge razor refills.

Incidentally, said brand is Harry's
Nothing in this thread should be taken as criticism of Harry's. I used to subscribe to their blade refill service, before they were in any stores. I can say, without reservation, that Harry's is the best brand of cartridge razor for value and quality. I got a consistently excellent shave from them. But not as good as I do with a safety razor. Hence this thread.

Ja, 1st person. Whatcha gonna do about it?

-MO

I've never had kids, so take this with a boulder of salt. I'm going strictly off memories of what I would've liked when I was his age. No one taught me to shave; I learned through trial and error. I would've appreciated it if someone had taken the time to teach me, especially my dad (or a similar father figure).

Also, if I'd been shown how to shave properly with a DE razor back then, I'm pretty sure I would've loved it and continued with it (assuming I started with a decent razor and blade). The wet shaving part, I wouldn't have kept up, because it takes too long. (As a young man, I was impatient and had places to go, people to see, and things to do.) Instead, I would've stuck to canned foam shaves.

The question for you is how well do you know your stepson? Is he someone who would appreciate having someone teach him how to shave properly? Does he see you as a father figure and want to bond with you that way? Is he (like most young men) in a rush to get through a regular grooming chore so he can move on to other more enjoyable things?

Ultimately, though, were I in your shoes and looking to build a stronger relationship with my stepson, I'd ask him if hed'd be interested in learning (1) how to use a DE razor and (2) how to wet shave. (Keep in mind one can shave with a DE razor without wet shaving.) If he is, that'd be great, but proceed slowly and with patience; if not, tell him the door is always open if he ever changes his mind.

An idea came to the Major a few nights ago: Should he introduce the idea of double-edged safety razor shaving to his 19-year-old stepson
As the comment above mention the Henson seems like a great idea and was also my first thought, but thinking a bit more about it is actually a bad razor to start for him. This razor has a set angle which will facilitate him in his transition and he will only need to learn pressure but this can be counter productive. What if he always stays in transition after that. I mean Henson is the kind of razor that after you try it makes you question why bother with other stuff. Even if the Henson makes him intriguing about this world and he tries any DE where you need to find an angle to shave, boom he can’t find the angle easily so just decide to stick with Henson forever. I suggest a KCG, or any vintage tech will also do.

I introduced each of my sons and daughter to DE razors. I simply gave them the option and explained the cost savings (yes, despite the enablers here, I have saved a bundle). Three out of the four, including my daughter, use a DE on a regular basis. I cannot, however, get them to make the jump to a straight razor, but that is OK. Each one is saving money by staying off this forum, I mean, by DE shaving. The cost of multi-blade disposables is crazy.

I introduced each of my sons and daughter to DE razors. I simply gave them the option and explained the cost savings (yes, despite the enablers here, I have saved a bundle). Three out of the four, including my daughter, use a DE on a regular basis. I cannot, however, get them to make the jump to a straight razor, but that is OK. Each one is saving money by staying off this forum, I mean, by DE shaving. The cost of multi-blade disposables is crazy.
As long as you don’t get down the rabbit hole 🕳️🐇.

Crazy you posted this, I was going to start my own. I got home today form 3 weeks at sea. I was missing one of my R41s. Puzzled I thought maybe my wife finally had enough of my hobby (possible addiction 😂). My 20 year old walked out his room, gave me the old “Hay Pop, Weldon back”. I noticed he big black beard was gone. I asked if he used one my my razors. He proceeds to tell me how much he loved it, no razor bumps for the first time ever. I asked him about what cream he used (he normally just trims with an electric). He say, “Oh just body wash.” That tuff SOB don’t even know how hard he made it on himself. I guess I will have to teach him how to lather and maybe try to show him a milder razor to start, because he cant have any of my R41s 😂.

“Hello Seth! I should have done it at least two years ago, anyhow here is a Henson AL13, a nice Silvertip shaving brush and a fantastic Stirling shaving soap.”

Does the Major need to credit you immediately if he uses your exact words? ;)

Not that he will, but, one never knows.

-MO

Last edited:
Crazy you posted this, I was going to start my own. I got home today form 3 weeks at sea. I was missing one of my R41s.

Hold on... He STARTED with an R41? You wanna talk about jumping into the deep end!

Let me amend that. That's as if your first swim was cliff diving from 100 ft up. And you're not sure about the depth of the water. But you know you've seen sharks in it.

He's lucky his first venture into wet shaving didn't end with a trip to the emergency room! Or, at least to Red Cross to donate blood.

-MO

Does the Major need to credit you immediately if he uses your exact words? ;)

Not that he will, but, one never knows.

-MO
Go ahead, that is what I told my youngest son except for the "two years" part since he is much younger that your stepson.

Here is the kit I prepared for him and he is super happy:

Top Bottom