What's new

Interesting first shave

Hello Everyone,

I have been a DE shaver for 30 years. Switched to a Feather DE with Feather blades a few years ago when that razor first came out and it made a big difference here in terms of comfort and closeness.

I don't know what possessed me but I have been curious about trying a straight so I bought a kit from Whipped Dog. I received a beautiful sight-unseen JR Torrey straight and a poor mans strop kit this week. Hats off to Larry for providing great equipment to beginners like me at a really good price. Today was the first morning I had time to test it all out. I shaved WTG a couple times with my feather as recommended to get the stubble down before using the straight for the first time.

I was surprised by a few things even though others have spoken of similar experiences here; 1) how much thinking was involved with figuring out the angles to approach all the areas of my face with the straight 2) how much razor burn I got in a few areas and 3) the small weeper and cut on my ear that I did not realize I gave myself till after the shave was done.

Obviously the learning curve is just as steep as many have mentioned here.

The razor burn is because I went over several areas on my chin, a patch on my neck and near my mouth several times. I was using a light touch, re-lathering but trying to get a bit closer of a shave. I irritated the skin - not horribly - but razor burn is not something I am used to anymore as I have the feather routine down pat. The chin is not that close - it looks fine at a sociable distance but feels quite stubbly under my fingers. The chin is going to take some time to figure out. The razor wanted to skip a bit on that area too so I went very gingerly. I'd rather have some stubble than lop something that is dear to me off. I have been using Cella soap for several years so stuck with that for the shave.

All in all - it was a good first effort. I just don't understand the angles and the amount of pressure needed yet. I obviously could have used a bit more angle in places to get the closer shave but how much is to be determined. Tomorrow I won't use the Feather first, I'll start with the straight and see how that goes. I may spend extra time prepping and softening the whiskers though.

Congrats on giving straights a try, Nicholas! I have heard the straight referred to as the "ultimate adjustable razor" and for good reason. It will all get more comfortable over time - the parts of the face with more contours are definitely more difficult, but it's a great sense of accomplishment once you conquer them.

Coincidentally...my virgin straight shave was last night, and my experience almost identical to yours!
Some fumbling to get angles, pressure, hand grip.
First cheek was ok, then she began to drag over the other cheek and jaw line and neck.
One micro slice on the moustache region.
I kept the Feather DE loaded and handy and it came to my rescue for the second pass.
But next time...well, will just have to think about that.
The straight might have to go back to the honemeister for a refresher.
But certainly will not part with the Feather...at least for a while!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys-

Thank you for the comments. That is a beautiful razor Sarimento1. Mine is not very pretty but sure seems to shave well. I will try and get a pic up here soon of it. My impression is that the blade is somewhat curved - but I'm not sure. Larry did a great job honing it.

Yes, I'm keeping the feather de close at hand for a while. But for the most part I was pleased - much more than I thought I'd be.

Hi Guys-

Thank you for the comments. That is a beautiful razor Sarimento1. Mine is not very pretty but sure seems to shave well. I will try and get a pic up here soon of it. My impression is that the blade is somewhat curved - but I'm not sure. Larry did a great job honing it.

Yes, I'm keeping the feather de close at hand for a while. But for the most part I was pleased - much more than I thought I'd be.

Thanks. I think you're right, looks like the blade narrows slightly toward the heel. Would that create a shave problem?

Would that create a shave problem?

I don't think so. From what I have read a curved blade can help create a scything motion that helps to sweep as it cuts the hairs. The blade I have is curved on both ends. I will try and get a pic up this weekend.

Last edited:
Compared to my Feather de this Torrey straight sure is light in weight. Are most straights this light compared to de's?

Compared to my Feather de this Torrey straight sure is light in weight. Are most straights this light compared to de's?

Probably. Except for plastic DE razors.
my Feather ASd2 94g (all metal, with blade!)
EJ DE87 70 g (plastic handle, with blade)
my tortolani straight 48g (with plastic scales)

Is there a straight with steel handle/scales?
the merkur bakelite DE razor is listed at 17 g (without blade)

soooooo....?

I am wondering if a heavier razor might help me get through the stubble. I am just a bit timid pushing through the under brush. Also, during my third shave today I noticed how my cheeks are sunken so it is very hard to shave this area. I tried puffing out my cheeks, and also stretching them but I am not yet comfortable holding the razor at off angles so I got stuck early in the shave today and turned to my de. Maybe tomorrow ill figure something else out to get going. I'm not sure how I did it yesterday:bored: but today I sure did notice how light the razor is!

Congrats to both you guys on your first straight shave!
As long as your razor is sharp and well maintained, your chin will be easier to shave in time.
A confident hand makes a big difference in the quality of the shave. It took me about 3 months before I got my first SAS and another month for my first DFS.
Have fun!!!

Well, I got after it again tonight 6 hours after I did a couple wtg passes with my Feather de. I was able to get through the stubble much easier and experiment with blade angles and grips without fear of using too much pressure. I did manage to get a very smooth shave but I irritated the skin quite a bit. I think I used too much pressure and too many passes in an effort to get a close shave. But progress was made. I am starting to get a feel for the razor. I still wish it weighed a bit more perhaps. Tomorrow I will try again on an 18 hour old beard and see if I can get through the stubble with more confidence. I will do some extra prep - maybe condition my beard and see if I can soften it up a bit to help me get through it easier.

Short confident (fake it) strokes while keeping the skin taut are helpful. It's a marathon not a sprint. Make sure to have fun and take it slow and ask lots of questions. :thumbup1:

I guess you have my number Noah. Today I tried a couple easy passes of stubble reduction but ended up with razor rash instead - this is going to take some time to figure out! I thought I was going easy but obviously I was not. I quite after 2 passes and didn't finish the shave. I need to give my face a day to rest before trying again.

There is quite a feel to this straight razor thang. Trial and error is going to be the way forward.

I am using a Torrey that I got from Whipped Dog - It is not going through the stubble very easily at all. I'm sure it's because my angles and pressure are off - but boy it can be frustrating. It brings me back 30 years to when I first started to learn how to shave. Back to being a novice:)

Top Bottom