What's new

Intentionally Convex Coticule ?

Ok I'll be the first to admit it's been a long time since I looked at hones ... but is this a thing now?
If so, can someone explain why?

Legion

Staff member
puppet-awkward.gif

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yep, good to see you!

Might want to visit the ‘Convex Club’.

So another quick question. Seems this was a popular topic 19"-21" then a handful of post recently.
Is this mostly a Jarrod thing? I don't mean that in a good or bad way, it's just I didn't see anyone else selling convex hone other than him.

Legion

Staff member
So another quick question. Seems this was a popular topic 19"-21" then a handful of post recently.
Is this mostly a Jarrod thing? I don't mean that in a good or bad way, it's just I didn't see anyone else selling convex hone other than him.
He seems to be the main exponent of it, yes. I guess, from a retail perspective, it can often be good to have a point of difference between what you are selling, and what everyone else is selling. He does seem to genuinely believe that that system works better, so... fair enough, I guess.

@MileMarker60
I have been practicing these developing techniques in modern times mostly attempting to follow the mid-19th century grinders handbook records. I consider myself successful at it, and have references from quite a number of experienced straight shavers who confirm my opinion.

If you are happy, successful at what you do AND unwilling to try something that will take some understanding and work (maybe some criticism), stay away from it. Before the topic became a bloody war zone, there was a high level executive with Thiers-Issard who was once quoted cautioning that “Americans will never accept the concept of a convex hone”. You should feel free to follow his prediction and stay safe.

If you have an interest in a pursuit of this type of a hobbyist activity, feel free to find me active and generally “staying in my lane” at the Convex Club where I have revived some of the communication. @JPO is also a successful contemporary practitioner of these techniques and the individual I generally credit with finding an interpreter and then publishing those 1840’s German texts. He has manually shaped his stones, I have manually shaped some, but mostly use the Jarrod Plate for shaping my sharpening devices.

@MileMarker60
I have been practicing these developing techniques in modern times mostly attempting to follow the mid-19th century grinders handbook records. I consider myself successful at it, and have references from quite a number of experienced straight shavers who confirm my opinion.

If you are happy, successful at what you do AND unwilling to try something that will take some understanding and work (maybe some criticism), stay away from it. Before the topic became a bloody war zone, there was a high level executive with Thiers-Issard who was once quoted cautioning that “Americans will never accept the concept of a convex hone”. You should feel free to follow his prediction and stay safe.

If you have an interest in a pursuit of this type of a hobbyist activity, feel free to find me active and generally “staying in my lane” at the Convex Club where I have revived some of the communication. @JPO is also a successful contemporary practitioner of these techniques and the individual I generally credit with finding an interpreter and then publishing those 1840’s German texts. He has manually shaped his stones, I have manually shaped some, but mostly use the Jarrod Plate for shaping my sharpening devices.
I'm glad you're having success!
At one time I considered myself pretty proficient at all things straight razor but it's been a few years.
I don't doubt it's working for you, I'm just not sure I would be able to discern any noticeable difference in the edge quality honed on a convex coticule and that same stone if it was flattened.

All marketing is proselytizing.

I don’t sell a thing.
His approach made the whole convex hone thing a huge disservice.
Showing up at the forums, telling everyone they are wrong and he has the one and only truth and how dare we ignore some old Solingen masters.
Add the fake accts and him pretending to be foreign and using broken English.

I don't care how people hone. Flat, convex, naturals, synthetics, pastes. I know what works for me and I enjoy reading other peoples experiences. I enjoy seeing pics of their razors etc. That's the reason I come here.
I don't need anyone telling me how I am wrong like I don't know at the age of 47 if an edge is good or not.

For those who oppose the use of a shaped hone to sharpen a razor because of the dislike towards someone who has not been here to defend himself I am very sorry that you have been damaged so badly that you can not recover

@Darth Scandalous Are you implying that this did not occur?

Top Bottom