What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

I believe the OS and Palmolive expire in 2017 so I should be good. I tried the OS this morning and the scent was average and not overwhelming. The performance was good. I got the consistency to be similar to Proraso Green and it was pretty slick. No complaints and a pretty good performer for a $4 tube.

I finally tried the Palmolive cream. It was very easy to lather and very slick. I think I liked this one much more than the Old Spice. It makes me wonder if I should open the Palmolive Shave Stick that is just sitting in my drawer. The only drawback is that the scent was just average but for $4, can I really complain? Got one of my smoothest shaves over the weekend.

i finally tried the palmolive cream. It was very easy to lather and very slick. I think i liked this one much more than the old spice. It makes me wonder if i should open the palmolive shave stick that is just sitting in my drawer. The only drawback is that the scent was just average but for $4, can i really complain? Got one of my smoothest shaves over the weekend.
use the shave stick!!!! :)

use the shave stick!!!! :)

HAHA I will. I am just reluctant to have too many things open since I would think I will 3017 anything anytime soon.

So I did shave with Proraso Green today just to compare it to the two Indian creams (OS and Palmolive). Proraso definitely performed better for me. I got a richer lather compared to the other two. From a slickness perspective, Palmolive and Proraso were very similar.

Unfortunately, the OS is the lame duck of the group. It may end up in a PIF down the line.

Poking around on the internet and I found out that Shahnaz Husain has an online store. Was really pleased as I rate their shaving cream very highly. I ordered 3 tubes to avail the free shipping only to find that-

They've changed their packaging from really great to ultra cheap and utterly useless. The thick cardboard outer box is gone and has been replaced with a really flimsy one. The tube is made of the cheapest laminated plastic that I've come across and appears to only be partially filled. The best part? It doesn't function as intended. It is virtually impossible to squeeze the cream out due to some negative pressure within the tube, probably caused by faulty filling? I don't know.

View attachment 522567
View attachment 522568View attachment 522569

They've tweaked their formula to remove parabens.

View attachment 522570

The old cream has 'for sale in India only, not for export' stamped on the cardboard cover whereas the new box doesn't mention anything.

View attachment 522571

Oddly enough the website states that they will ship within India only, so I can't understand the rationale behind that change. The website also has the picture of the old tube and that was the reason for me buying it in the first place.

The fragrance is a lot less intense than before. The lovely herbal/spice scent with a good dose of citrus is still there, but toned down several notches.

And finally, the price has been increased from Rs.170 to Rs 215 for a 70gram tube.

Though I've had it for a couple of months, I am yet to use the cream and therefore have not compared its performance to the older tube. I hope it delivers, otherwise I fear we've lost a really good product.

I will be using it and the other tube sometime next year when it's their turn in my 3017 line up; so will post my findings then.

A comparison I've finally made.

I used Shashave exclusively for the last 6 weeks, first finishing off a tube of the old formula and then spent a couple of weeks with the new. I'm happy to say that the reformulated version is very good. It has a marginally milder scent , but the lathering properties were virtually identical. I overcame the rubbish packaging by emptying the cream into a sturdy plastic tub.

Note: Seems like a few threads have been merged with this one?

"Not for export"....wonder if it meets international pharmaceutical standards ?...Most Indian products are labeled very truthfully,far more than Chinese...Indian toothpastes will list formaldehyde in the formula,but even though American toothpastes contain it as well,the proper cronies have had " contributions" to their political chests that enables the omitting of it on our toothpastes.

This morning I dug out of my re-purposed beer fridge an unopened tube of Old Spice shave cream. The box said it was manufactured 02/14 and that I should use it 24 months from the date of manufacture. Well, it's darn near 26 months, so I was very diligent in inspecting after giving the tube a good squeezing and twisting off the cap. It looked okay, smelled okay and lathered in the bowl very well.
After the first pass, I knew there was little to no protection, something I've not experienced with my Godrej Menthol Mist, the only other Indian tube cream I have in my meagre den. Before the second pass I used my Arko stick as a base, and lathered up with the Old Spice thinking this might help. Not really. My skin was irritated for a good two hours or so. Two things to take away...when the product has an expiry date, trust it...and Old Spice shave cream probably isn't meant to be used as part of a "croap" experiment. In the past I've added the Godrej Menthol as a boost to Arko and Williams with no issues. Maybe I should try the same with the rapidly aging Old Spice...adding it to neutral soaps as opposed to the other way round.

It's just "soap" ,the scent may sour a little ,but if it lathers it should work.I use Palmolive cream from the 70's ,still works great.Irritation could be from the mixing ,but I doubt aged cream will irritate.

FYI, I have had great luck going 1/2 Old Spice Lime Fresh, 1/2 AoS unscented. Keeps the scent I love but performs as well as most other creams I use.

A little while back, I picked up some Neem bath soap at my local Indian market. Something about the scent prompted me to try to super lather it with Palmolive Moisturizing Deluxe shave cream (from the same market). The scents really compliment one another and the Neem soap adds a level of slickness that makes for a smooth and effective shave.

I'm currently doing the same thing with a neem and turmeric soap by Himalaya Herbals. Smells wonderful and elevates the Palmolive lather by quite a factor.

After three attempts using my "expired" tube of Old Spice (see previous entry), I've thrown in the towel. After my first try, when following the first pass, I rubbed Arko on and lathered up with the Old Spice, for shave two I rubbed a soaked Williams onto my beard and then applied the lathered Old Spice. Same irritation. Yesterday it was a glycerin-infused lather...still rough with an irritation that was still there.
This morning, Cella. No irritation.
It very well may be not the two year old tube, but the fact Old Spice no longer agrees with me. This was my third tube, but the first that's given me grief. Maybe it was a bad batch, which is a shame as I love the scent. Well, there is a silver lining. With Old Spice off my list, I might have to investigate other ​Indian creams:thumbup:

i bought all 3 of the old spice shave cream. lime , musk ,original. they shiped from India off ebay took about 4 weeks to get here. just smelling them original seems to not have a very strong scent at all musk is going to go with aqua velva musk aftershave very well. and the lime smells really nice and fresh. going to try the musk tomorrow.

Chinmusic, I hope you don't mind my jumping in your thread with this, but...

I was inspired by this great thread and picked up a couple of tubes of Godrej last night at our local Indian grocery. My wife is Malaysian, and this is the only place we've found that has her beloved Maggi instant noodles, and we pop in there from time to time when she needs a fix for her troubling addiction. :001_smile

They had the regular Rich Lather and the Lemon scent, so I picked them both up and used them for my 1st & 2nd pass, respectively, in this morning's shave.

I gotta say, Godrej performed stunningly well. The scent of the Rich Lather reminded me of a bar soap and the best way I can describe it is "clean". It would not be as polarizing as Arko but I could see some not loving it, whereas I found it pleasant. The scent of the Lemon seemed chemically when I smelled it in the tube, but once I put it into my lathering bowl and lathered it up, it really opened up nicely and was a very nice, light lemony smell that was pleasant to shave with.

But what really stood out was the great lathering. A thick, prodigious lather built up after only a few twirls of my shaving brush and I gotta say, I felt like a million bucks after the shave today. Overall relative to performance it reminded me of Proraso, which in my book is high praise.

I paid $1.75 for it and I have to say Godrej ranks up there with Arko as one of the best values to be found in shaving, low price & high performance. I'm a big fan and I will definitely be putting this into my rotation!

Excellent score [MENTION=111772]CliffDweller[/MENTION], glad you got to try a couple of flavors and are enjoying them. It's still one of my favourite creams. Maggi is pretty addicting! I know I've eaten too many packets in my life. :laugh:

Top Bottom