What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

Several months ago I tried to give my Dad a good ol' fashion double edge shave with Godrej, since he grew up in India back in the 1930's when his Dad was working for the Indian Railways.
I was hoping this shave would spark some deep, long forgotten memories of India.
Nope.
First off, a face that's 90 odd years old has a boatload of wrinkles and crevices. Okay, so that's why the old man uses an electric. Also, I told him I was using an Indian cream, just like the old days. "I was five years old when we moved to India..." Alright, so you weren't shaving back then, got it. Major fail on the old father-son bonding. No surprise really, since he broke my nose playing catch back when I was five years old.
Since then I've been giving him a haircut every month with my clippers and finishing off with a neck shave using Godrej Menthol Mist (there's not much wrinkle and crevice action going on back there). And each time Dad's asked if that's the Indian shave cream thing I've been going on about.
Anyway, the Indian shave cream thing has made Dad's atrocious clip jobs from me just a little more bearable. Yeah, what's left of his hair looks like someone took a weed whacker to it, but his neck looks and feels great.

Yesterday I used the Old Spice cream from India which is really nice. The scent stays with me for a while and the aftershave reinforced it well.

Buyer Beware- Do not buy the Bio-Palmyra (might be misspelled) brand on Ebay. I've attempted to do it twice over the past year . The Indian company takes your money and NEVER delivers the product. Both times I've had to file a complaint with Ebay in order to get a full refund. This Indian company is totally unreliable and untruthful in my opinion. I can't comment on the quality of the cream because they never ship it to me!!

Craig

Yesterday I used the Old Spice cream from India which is really nice. The scent stays with me for a while and the aftershave reinforced it well.

I'm curious if it was the old stuff

proxy.php

Or the new stuff

proxy.php

Reports on the new stuff indicate that it has very little scent, and what little scent there is, is not the traditional OS scent.

Buyer Beware- Do not buy the Bio-Palmyra (might be misspelled) brand on Ebay. I've attempted to do it twice over the past year . The Indian company takes your money and NEVER delivers the product. Both times I've had to file a complaint with Ebay in order to get a full refund. This Indian company is totally unreliable and untruthful in my opinion. I can't comment on the quality of the cream because they never ship it to me!!

Craig

There is Bio-Palmyra available via Prime on Amazon. I can't comment on the product itself, but being Amazon Prime would definitely indicate you would at least receive the product.

Last edited:
I'm curious if it was the old stuff

proxy.php

Or the new stuff

proxy.php

Reports on the new stuff indicate that it has very little scent, and what little scent there is, is not the traditional OS scent.

There is Bio-Palmyra available via Prime on Amazon. I can't comment on the product itself, but being Amazon Prime would definitely indicate you would at least receive the product.

Thanks very much domzal1 for the info. I'll give the Bio Palmyra a shot thru Amazon(but only if its not the same Indian seller who sells thru Ebay-that person or company is a total fraud !)

Thanks again,
Craig

I received two more Indian creams last week. One called Romano, and the other is called Glide. I have yet to try them, but judging from their scents they might both be nice.

Just received the new scent Musk Old Spice.

Scent isn't bad, if not lasting.

However, worst shave I've had in a long time. Little glide, irritation after.

I used the new and reformulated Old Spice Fresh Limes. Smelled mostly of soap (which was fine) but I didn't detect any lime scent and certainly nothing to the degree of the old Shulton stuff (fortunately, I have 14 tubes of the old stuff that an airline pilot friend of mine brought me, a few years ago, from Mumbai). The new stuff works well for me but I make up for the lack of scent with a drop or two of Royall Lyme in the lather. I think I'm going to hoard those last 14 tubes!

Michael

If I recall, the top photo of the single, original tube is the older stuff. It's been a few years though, so I'd hope that others can confirm.

The older Old Spice cream had a superb scent and was a good (not great) performer.

I have used, Dettol, VI-JOHN, Axe, Palmolive, Godrej(Cream and Shave round both), Old Spice as well. VI-JOHN is the cheapest of all, not found everywhere these days , but others are also good, I used the Gillette series shave gel as well but I did not have any good first impressions of it. Got a Biotique Bio Palmyra today , will try on the next shave and give a review.

Please suggest me a good DE razor which I can find in India.

Found some Vi-John Regular and Godrej Lime at a local Indian convenience store. For the 1.99 price, the Vi-John performed fantastic. I am very impressed and actually liked the very mild scent. The Godrej Lime seemed to provide an almost identical lather. Both winners in my book.

I have a couple of tubes of Godrej and also some Old Spice cream (which I think is also Indian, right?) and I can get a good lather out of them. But the tubes don't contain all that much cream and I have to use quite a bit to produce a good lather. They're not that expensive, but are a bit difficult to come by here in the U.S. so I am not a huge fan simply based on efficiency & availability.

I received two more Indian creams last week. One called Romano, and the other is called Glide. I have yet to try them, but judging from their scents they might both be nice.
Glad to see this thread is still alive.:001_smile [MENTION=72327]RT Smoothie[/MENTION], nice score! I haven't heard of those 2 either. Please share some pics and review them for us once you've used them.:thumbup1:

try this company called Trigodon. Their shaving soaps are awesome, not sure about their razor though. Its an Indian company as far as I know so I'm sure you get them in India.

I've happened to find Godrej Deluze Lather (Red) and Old SPice Original in a tube for $3 each at my local Indian grocery store here.

How are these creams in terms of slickness and lather quality? They look so nice for the cost, I just had to get em.

$3 is almost as much as a can of Barbasol or Gillette cream anyways.

You'll get great lather with them,although the Old Spice scent may be a little "off"...India has at least 30 creams in production,maybe more.

Which Godrej is generally good tho? And is the Old Spice ok for everyday use?I'm not sure it can get better than this. I can get these locally for $3-4.The only other option I would have would be Van Der Hagen Deluxe or Luxury from my local Walgreens

Top Bottom