What's new

In search of a Lathe

I would love some input from anyone experienced in turning brush handles. I would like to create some brushes for my personal use and to gift family and friends. I would like to know what brands are desirable and the accessories necessary to do the job right. I have read that Jet, Delta and Rinkon are good quality. Thanks for your help in advance. Also, what are the best sources for quality knots (like Golden Nib and Whipped Dog)

I bought a Shop Fox W1704 several months ago. Its an entry level lathe with variable speed. It's only 8x14 which was fine for me in the beginning, but now I would like something with a larger swing. It will handle pens, brush handles and small bowls. I would like to be able to make larger bowls. I have not yet turned a brush handle. I have done some research and will be turning one soon. There are some kits that will allow you to use a mandrel and turn it like you would a pen kit. I picked up a Nova G2 chuck for my lathe and plan to use that to turn the handle.
You will need a lathe and a 4 jaw chuck. I recommend the Nova chucks by Teknatool. I tried using conventional turning tools, but now I use carbide tipped tools almost exclusively. You don't have to spend as much time sharpening and they cut far better IMHO. The only downside is using the roughing tool. For the roughing tool there is a regular carbide tip and a radiused carbide tip. The regular tip catches on the corners a bit. When I replace the carbide tip I will be switching to the radiused tip.
Jet is pretty much the go to brand from what I have found. Delta makes good tools, but their customer service leaves alot to be desired. I'm not sure about Rikon. I would highly suggest going with something that has variable speed vs set speeds. Some of the lathes have speed ranges. They will have a speed range depending on how you have the belt set. The ones that have a set speed for each pulley is a PITA. They function just as well; it's just a pain to change the belt position each time you want to change the speed a little bit.
Unfortunately lathes are like shaving products... YMMV. It depends on how much you want to spend, what bells and whistles do you want and what do you want to do with the lathe other than make brushes. I bought mine with the intent to make pens and small projects. I also wanted to buy something that wasn't too expensive.

I picked up a a used Jet lathe (JWL 1236) 5-6 years ago after starting with and enjoying a small Jet Pen Lathe. The pen lathe was ok, but even for smaller items like brush handles I much prefer the larger lathe. I'm amazed at how much the price has jumped - I bought my 1236 refurbished from an equipment supply company for under $400 - now they're selling for a lot more. They are worth the price though, in my opinion.
Whichever lathe you decide on, spend as much as you can afford on a chuck - you'll be thankful that's where you spent the extra. (Ask me how I know..) Turning tools can also be expensive, but I've found that some of the ones I reach for the most are the cheapest ones I own. I suggest buying inexpensive tools at first and learn to sharpen them - then pick up better quality tools as your skills improve. Also - beware buying the specialty tools that do just one thing better than anything else.. Almost all of my turning is done with nothing but a skew chisel and a small bowl gouge.
I get most of my wood for small things like brush handles from my firewood pile - you'd be surprised what you can find. For Christmas I turned cedar, oak, and sycamore pepper mills for family members - you would never know their humble beginnings.

I will warn you - turning is very addictive! I've loved woodworking for many years, but the almost instant gratification of turning has left most of my other woodworking tools covered in dust.
Enjoy!

For gifting only small items like brushes and pens, a manual speed control is perfectly adequate and will allow many years of service for a part time hobby with left over money for chucks. Variable speed is nice, but even a variable speed often has a few belt positions for ranges of VS.

Like Mayhem said, spend the money on a good chuck. I like the Nova G3, but there are many other great ones out there.

It is better to spend the savings difference on a better company, rather than more bells and whistles for a lesser quality company with variable speed.

I got both of my lathes from a local vendor. Worth it. They even gave me a $130 a month after I purchased it since a rebate was offered a month later.

I purchased one from a "rainforest" online store and it took me 4 minutes before I started packing it up for a return. It was missing many vital parts. It was a return item from warehouse fulfillment. Incredible return policy was theie redeeming quality.

Jet is a great company with great customer service. Very universal components.

I agree with another guy about customer service and part replacement availability issues of some other brands , not named.

All this being said, if you have artistic skills and have an addictive nature, this is a healthy addiction and you may want to pony up for a Jet 1221VS. It is a great price point with a recently lowered price for a more versatile lathe with variable speed, digital readout, quiet DC 1HP motor, a great range for speed controls perfect for turning shaving brushes and pens, heavy lathe that will give you years of service. Oneway is also a great lathe, but you better be sure you LOVE turning before you get one of those.

This all being said, turning creates a vortex in your wallet. The Chucks, tools, lathe is just a starting point.

I think we will all agree to stay far away from harbor Fr3!@HT !!!

Last edited:
Mayhem and Fidem Scit give great advise. I appologize for not explaining myself better regarding variable speed vs manual speed adjustment. The variable speed aspect is only a convenience factor and not a performance factor. It is nice to be able to change speed without having to change belt positions, but overall tool quality is more important than variable speed. I have to laugh about turning creating a vortex in your wallet. I thought the big spending was done once I got my lathe. A few turning tools, nova G2 and misc accessories later I realize that the lathe price wasn't so bad after all. I bought a cheaper lathe because thats what I could afford at the time. I knew that I will eventually get a larger more expensive lathe. I give a definite +1 for the 1221VS. I have drooled over the floor model in a local woodworking store several times.

Thanks everyone for giving me your experience and insight. This will make a huge difference in improving my decision making. I had hoped that this would be the week I would actually select and order the lathe but my wife had a stroke before Christmas and we have been prisoners to hospital rooms and the Rehab Center ever since. I yearn for some real sleep but thank God for free Wifi and an IPad to cruise my favorite websites during free time. There are project and how-to books on turning on Amazon and elsewhere. Are there one or two titles that would be the most helpful? At my age everything I learned in 9th grade shop has long ago disappeared from my brain.

Happy New Year to all.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I hope all goes well and she is able to recover. I haven't looked much at books, but some of the other gentleman that have responded to this thread sound like they have a wealth of knowledge on the subject and can probably direct you in the right direction. I'm more of a hands on and figure it out the hard way kind of guy. I have watched quite a few youtube videos on different aspects of turning. Carl Jacobson has some videos that lay things out in a pretty easy to follow manner.

Top Bottom