What's new

In a hurry? I won't even consider shaving.

Well if you don't need to shave everyday I'm sure no one here will force you to. With the great invention of the alarm clock I don't see how I would ever need to be rushed in the morning, but assuming I was being rushed, is 5-10 mins for a shave that hard to fit in? Just do one WTG pass!

having to rush a shave is like having to rush surgery. it should never be done. but when i have to actually rush a shave that being since i work in a kitchen i use a wilkinsion atra blade. i still get the 3 passes but i dont have to go as slowly as i would a DE.

It seems you exhibited a great degree of self-knowledge when you chose a career far, far away from client service. Professional clients paying for one's time tend not to care a whit for one's personal happiness. :001_rolle

Ah yes, while I do not work in "client service" now, I did happily work for a brokerage for some years and would have enjoyed it more, if it were not for the detestable craft of salesmanship. :lol:

Pretty sure the OP doesn't have kids.

Ha! True, I do not yet have children of my own. What gave me away? :laugh:

If I don't have enough time to shave in the morning, I start waking up earlier.

I don't see what the big deal is. :huh:

I have to say that a gentleman who doesn't have time to shave when it would be more appropriate to do so, is a gentleman who very often has a problem with time management. Having spent four years in the service of Uncle Sam, who did not tolerate five o'clock shadow; then, having spent another 23 years in uniform with a sheriff's department, which also insisted on clean-shaven officers, I can see very little excuse for going unshaven when clean shaven would be more in keeping with the expectations of one's employer or co-workers. Being a gentleman means, in my opinion, having the self-discipline to present oneself at his very best, especially in a professional setting.

+1 Very well said.

I found tha most amazing product that solved this problem. I went out and bought myself a TEN DOLLAR electric razor. It is so horrific that shaving someone else with it violates at least three international conventions.

Ever since I bought this amazing device, I have not once found myself without the time to have a proper (if not luxurious and relaxed) shave in the morning.

I have to say that a gentleman who doesn't have time to shave when it would be more appropriate to do so, is a gentleman who very often has a problem with time management. Having spent four years in the service of Uncle Sam, who did not tolerate five o'clock shadow; then, having spent another 23 years in uniform with a sheriff's department, which also insisted on clean-shaven officers, I can see very little excuse for going unshaven when clean shaven would be more in keeping with the expectations of one's employer or co-workers. Being a gentleman means, in my opinion, having the self-discipline to present oneself at his very best, especially in a professional setting.

It seems you exhibited a great degree of self-knowledge when you chose a career far, far away from client service. Professional clients paying for one's time tend not to care a whit for one's personal happiness. :001_rolle

I am often bemused by the use of the word "acceptable". Acceptable to whom, ones self? I think that this attitude is contributory to defining what is "acceptable" down. I would think that as a teacher, one would like to set an example of how a gentlemen conducts himself in a professional fashion.
Perhaps it would be prudent for the OP to read the sticky at the top of this forum about the "Untimely death of....."

But I suppose YMMV.

Doug

I teach English...

What I mean, however pretentious it may sound, is that, I am by no means a slovenly person and I, as I am sure you do as well, have a healthy respect for my image and I will not have my personal autonomy infringed upon.

Could you parse this sentence for us?

The grooming standards for my present job are not very exacting, as there is little face to face customer contact. I could show up with several days worth of scruffy looking whiskers, if I liked, and the only reason it would get a comment is because it's unusual for me. I shave because I like to, and because being clean shaven is more comfortable.

Every shave doesn't have to be just so. I like being able to take my time, but I'd rather rush through a five minute shave with my Atra and Cremo than have a day's worth of itchy stubble.

Having to shave every day in the Navy, years ago, was a bit of a hassle, but that was mostly because I didn't know how to shave properly then.

It's all a matter of preference, though. The stubbly look is much more socially acceptable, in general, than it used to be. If you don't think you have enough time to shave, most of us can get away with not shaving, even in white collar professional jobs.

Top Bottom