What's new

I'm "In M3 Remission. Is that bad?

"In M3 Remission" has just appeared under my B&B user handle. Am I going to be okay? Remission from what?:blink:

When you've posted as much as Mike and Adam, a mod will come along and give you a custom title, usually from something you've posted, and usually way out of context! ;) Enjoy the anonymity while it lasts!

It's ok, I'm still in M3 remission despite having given it up nearly two years ago... although if I'm honest I still use my Mach3 for the back of my neck, haven't plucked up the courage to reach round with a DE!

Oh, okay. Got it. Don't think I'd paid much attention to that line below people's forum monikers until mine changed unexpectedly. When I noticed the new wording, I thought I might've contracted something serious from the rest of you guys.

Here's a confession, though I've been checking the forum for two or three weeks -- with the intent to switch-over to a DE shave -- I've only gotten as far as figuring out how to lather William's Mug, and choosing and ordering a DE razor. (Oh, and I started using aftershave for the first time, after 38 years of shaving.) Instead of buying a razor from any of the smaller, independent venders listed here, which many of you clearly use, I purchased from the big guys headquartered in Seattle and chose their free shipping. Now I'm waiting a second week for my E.J. DE89bl to arrive. The beginner's nicks I was originally expecting are now, in my imagination, turning into gaping, disfiguring facial wounds. I'm ready to get started already. Next time I'll support one of the small family businesses, and save myself the psychic pain of fulfillment house shipping. Actually, many of the prices I've seen on shaving tools and consumables, at these smaller businesses, are better than what's available from Seattle, and the small operators and websites certainly seem more personable.

...And given the severity of the shaving injuries I now expect as I get started, I'd never even consider shaving the back of my neck with anything more dangerous than my uncomfortable old Sensor II.

He has already surpassed 85% of everyone else on this forum. The Force is very strong with this one.
Williams was my first mug soap and my preferred one! (Given that I have that and VDH and a PIF'd artisanal soap that is scent less not many options but yeah)

The Force is very strong with this one.

When I read this I laughed out loud, to the bemusement of my 15-year-old daughter who was studying in the next room.

I obviously need to try some soap that's reputed to be easy to lather. Initially, I didn't know what to do with the Williams; that's how I ended-up at B&B. I got immediate advice about how to froth the hard little disk, which worked like a charm, and I never looked back. Maybe I got lucky with the $11 badger brush I wound-up with due to it's price and black handle. As I say, at least until next week, I'm continuing to use a Sensor II, which I've come to hate over the years, but which does the basic job that allows me to go forth into society each day.

Actually, with that Sensor, and with only the addition of a better prep, the brush, a mug, the cheap tallow(?) soap, and the addition of Aqua Velva, I'm suddenly getting the smoothest shaves of my life and my skin is noticeably less problematic. Given those rapid improvements, I'm genuinely looking forward to trying my new DE89 when, and if, it finally arrives.

Assuming I haven't bled to death, I'll check-back to report on my progress once I've given the new razor and blades a week or two of service. Meanwhile, I'm reading the B&B Wiki carefully for instruction and tips, of which there are many.

Given the above, I think I'll also order an Em's glycerine soap puck, just to see what it's like to have a bangin' lather.

When I read this I laughed out loud, to the bemusement of my 15-year-old daughter who was studying in the next room.

I obviously need to try some soap that's reputed to be easy to lather. Initially, I didn't know what to do with the Williams; that's how I ended-up at B&B. I got immediate advice about how to froth the hard little disk, which worked like a charm, and I never looked back. Maybe I got lucky with the $11 badger brush I wound-up with due to it's price and black handle. As I say, at least until next week, I'm continuing to use a Sensor II, which I've come to hate over the years, but which does the basic job that allows me to go forth into society each day.

Actually, with that Sensor, and with only the addition of a better prep, the brush, a mug, the cheap tallow(?) soap, and the addition of Aqua Velva, I'm suddenly getting the smoothest shaves of my life and my skin is noticeably less problematic. Given those rapid improvements, I'm genuinely looking forward to trying my new DE89 when, and if, it finally arrives.

Assuming I haven't bled to death, I'll check-back to report on my progress once I've given the new razor and blades a week or two of service. Meanwhile, I'm reading the B&B Wiki carefully for instruction and tips, of which there are many.

Given the above, I think I'll also order an Em's glycerine soap puck, just to see what it's like to have a bangin' lather.
Did you get the razor yet..?

Assuming I haven't bled to death, I'll check-back to report on my progress once I've given the new razor and blades a week or two of service.

Have faith. I have the same razor and in my 2 months of DE shaving, not a single nick. The key is very light pressure and going slow until it becomes second nature.

Yup, razor came in a few days ago. Based on recommendations I received to a question put in another post, about beginner blades, I bought two 5-packs of Personna blues. Of the top starter–blades you guys suggested, the Personna's were what was available locally. I also ordered 30 Astra's. I'll use the ten Personna's first, then use all the Astra's.

Had my fourth shave this morning with the E.J. DE89/Personna. So far, so good. I cut myself several times first shave out. Corked the blade before second shave, and each of the subsequent three shaves have been better than the last. I'm surprised at how smoothly it goes. The DE89 is MUCH smoother than the '62 Slim Adjustable I inherited and tried previously –– even with the Slim's adjustment set to #1. (I did use a Feather blade, then a dorco, so my poor results may have been blade-based.) I believe this older Gillette needs tuning-up, actually. It looks misaligned to my eye. I will try adjusting myself, and if unsuccessful will send it to The Captain, based on other posts I've read here –– to be tried again later, once my technique is squared-away.

I'm also itching to try some soap that I hope will give me a better lather. Am getting decent results with Williams, but think I'd like to try Em's glycerine rounds. (I'd prefer to avoid tallow.) Will give it another week or two before switching soap, though, so as to keep changes to a minimum during these sensitive early days of newbyhood.

I really like that DE89, so far.

Top Bottom