What's new

I'm A Smoker

+1

I vary the process a little by using unlit briquettes in the smoker but using lump charcoal in the chimney to get the the fire started. I find that using all lump produces a fire that's a little too hot.

When you have a moment google "Minion method" for fire starting. How were your vents adjusted?

The Minion Method works well. I use it all of the time. For a hot day like that, you probably need your vents less that 1/4 of the way open.

Mark, the candy thermo for your BBQ is fine, just check it against boiling water. The universal favorite is the Thermapen for general cooking. http://www.thermoworks.com/products...ermapen.html?gclid=CNH8iY3R16kCFYeD5QodinN_OA
The green ones work the best:001_tongu

The problem with the thermapen is you have to keep opening the smoker to use it, thus extending the cooking time. I'd recommend a probe thermometer similar to this: Polder Polder is a decent brand, I have the older version of this model and it's lasted me years. Maverick is a more expensive brand that seems to be popular.

Do you leave the probe in the meat and have the leads hang out of the smoker on this one.

The problem with the thermapen is you have to keep opening the smoker to use it, thus extending the cooking time. I'd recommend a probe thermometer similar to this: Polder Polder is a decent brand, I have the older version of this model and it's lasted me years. Maverick is a more expensive brand that seems to be popular.

Very good point-

I made a burn yesterday with both the standard method of lighting and the minion method. I can see how each one can be beneficial to on certain types of meats; looks like the minion method has a longer burn time because after two hours only a few of the coals were lit and the temperature was holding around 250 (the grill was empty and bottom vents wide open). When I used the standard method with a full lit chimney it was running hot and I had to adjust the vents to keep it around 250. I can see how nice the minion method can be when smoking large amounts of food and refueling can be a pain.

So is it safe to say:

Minion method is good for long slow burns and Standard for shorter burns?

Do you leave the probe in the meat and have the leads hang out of the smoker on this one.

Exactly. If you're doing more than one butt/brisket/whatever you can just buy more probes.

azmark said:
Minion method is good for long slow burns and Standard for shorter burns?
That's one option. I generally go with Minion for low and slow burns, and standard for any high-heat quicker (less than 4-5 hours) burns. You can still do minion on shorter burns, just reduce the amount of fuel. Minion is definitely a better option for longer cooks, but with quicker cooks it doesn't matter as much if you're going with low temps.

I use the Minion method no matter the length of time the cook is. Seems to be more fuel efficient and no messing with the smoker once the temps gets dialed in. Any left over coals can be used the next time.

Taylor brand therms are inexpensive and available in many stores. The Thremapen is by far the best therm for checking smaller cuts of meat there is, bar none. Well worth the cost.

Having a lot of time at the airports I was able to look up a few things that may have been an issue with the high heat also. Since the smoker is new, the heat radiates much hotter than when it builds up a layer of smoke and grease around the inside. Just something in case others have the same problem.

After weeks on the road, I was able to make it back to the office to participate in our 4th of July Chili Cook-Off. Never winning before I needed something good this year and I didn't want to search the internet for recipe's so I went to the B&B Cookbook and used our very own mod Suzuki's Chili recipe. I won the coveted trophy!

Attachments

• $Chili.jpg
    $Chili.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 52
It's 4 in the morning and I'm waiting for the coals to die down to get these damn butts on the smoker. I want to go back to sleep...

Top Bottom