What's new

Identifying a GEM Razor

Today at a local swap meet, I found an unused GEM SE razor in its original case. The razor came with a GEM blade and a brief set of instructions. The box had a clear plastic top and a green plastic bottom. The razor has a metal top with a white plastic handle.

Any help identifying this razor?

With out any pics I'm guessing its a GEM Feather weight. I'm no expert as I'm quite new to SE razors but mine shaves real nice. Very mild but very close. I tried both Treet and GEM Blades and both work quite well for me .

Any pics to confirm?

Yes, it sounds like a Gem Feather Weight (if it looks like this).

$Gem Feather.jpg

It looks like the razor in the picture, DrumZalot, just a different box…it opens from the side. Any Featherweight users out there…what should I know before trying this razor??

I used to own one but gave it away. I will give you my personal quick description of this razor. Compared to older SE razors it is relatively mild and light in weight. Even though the head design is similar to a Heavy Flat Top I found it to be slightly more mild. Don't be fooled by it's partial plastic light design and mild performance it is a very competent SE razor. This particular model is very good for beginners.

I like the Feather Weight a lot. Currently it's the only Gem I have. I find it to be as smooth as a Gillette Tech, but much more efficient. I get DFS in two passes and can have a BBS with extra touchups. Excellent razor in my opinion.

Thanks guys…I have a GEM 1912 and now a GEM Featherweight and haven't tried either. I suppose I should get on the ball and order some blades. I can get cheap GEM SE blades at the local grocery story, but I've read on this forum that they are not the best.

Top Bottom