What's new

I need help!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Sometime in the first half of 2013, I posted in the Brushes Forum suggesting (half tongue-in-cheek) a proposal for the adoption of something like Knot Codes. Now, I can't find it. Can anyone help. Search words would could include: badger, hair, type, batch,,chiefbroom. It seems like there was also somre reference to genotyping and designer badgers, but I'm not sure about that.

Maybe?

Post in thread 'morris & forndran / rooney'
morris & forndran / rooney - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/morris-forndran-rooney.330479/post-4830052

Post 29:
Yes, ultimately what we need to move to though, is IBTID with genotyping. That would enable identification of badger family relatedness between/among brushes along with analysis of comparative knot characteristics, including correlation between specific sequence variations and their phenotypic manifestations.

At least that would yield some improvement in customers' ability to select brushes with confidence until we gain the real prize, which will be cloning badgers (i.e., the Old Rooney Finest line, even if it has been extinguished in existing badger populations).

I'm getting excited.
Or:
I commented somewhat digressively in another thread regarding the prospects for detailed genotypic analysis as well as the selective cloning of badgers (e.g., for the sake of restoring the Old Rooney Finest line). That, of course, would be wonderful -- and hardly objectionable.

But it also started me thinking about where that might ultimately lead. No great leap would be required to move from 1) responsible resurrection of naturally evolved but sadly extinguished badger lines to 2) unscrupulous (if not unholy) development of novel designer badgers. God only knows what that might produce. Yeats comes to mind:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.

I wouldnt be surprised to learn that the North Koreans are already doing it. Has anyone noticed the BBS shaves they always appear to have in group photos (see below)? (And just imagine crossing a badger with a unicorn!)

So I thought it might be timely to initiate a thread for serious discussion of the exciting potential as well as the moral and ethical implications of genetically engineered designer badgers. Consideration of the attending risks of geo-political and/or economic instability would also be on-topic.

View attachment 306141
Link to that thread:

Hope that helps! Not sure if it’s exactly what you were looking for or not.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks! That was definitely all tongue-in-cheek, but both followed the post I'm wanting to find. I think it might be further up in the first thread.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
And here it is!

morris & forndran / rooney - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/morris-forndran-rooney.330479/page-2#post-4829726

"On the other hand, it has occurred to me that it would be nice if brushes could be identified to batches. That would make it a lot easier for the user community to discuss and compare experience with a more-or-less common frame-of-reference. It could also be good marketing because collectors would likely go after multiple examples of the same style brush made from different batches, and all kinds of new brush lore could spin out based on real and imagined differences. Wouldn't that be fun?"

The part about marketing was also mostly (but not entirely) tongue-in-cheek. That first part, however, with reference to enabling discussion with benefit of common frames of reference was dead serious.

Top Bottom