What's new

I Just Can't Handle Astra SPs

The Feather blade in my Weber DLC got too blunt so I threw it out and replaced it with an Astra SP. After three shaves, it wasn't shaving well at all, so I moved that Astra SP blade to a Lord L6.

In the Lord L6, that Astra SP just keeps nicking me day after day, though it is getting better - it's down to three nicks per shave instead of four nicks per shave.

I had thought that using the Astra SP in the mild Weber would do the equivalent of corking the blade, but it clearly wasn't the case as when I cork it, I start off at around two nicks per shave.

The Astra SP is just too darn sharp for me. And for this reason, I am still too scared to even consider trying to use the sharper Feather blades in anything other than in my ultra-mild Weber DLC razor.

I have read so many positive reviews of the Astra SP blade that I just have to conclude that others must have much tougher skin than me.

Anyhow, I'll persevere with this nicking frenzy to see how long it takes before the Astra SP behaves like my more normal Gillette and Dorco blades do (i.e zero to one nick per shave). One positive - at least I don't get razor burn from using the Astra SP.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
If you're getting nicks it's either your technique or a razor too aggressive.
Thanks, but I have far more aggressive razors than the Lord L6 and I don't get as many nicks from them using say Gillette Stainless Steel and Gillette Seven O'Clock. I don't get any nicks using those two blades in my Jagger 89 or Merkur 33.
Regards,
Renato

I too have noticed the Astra SP is finicky when it comes to what razor you put it in.
It works well in my Razorock Mission 3 piece, even with one shim installed under it. I usually get 5 pretty good shaves.
I tried it in a 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable, it did not shave well at all in that razor.
Switched the same blade to my 1969 Super Slim, it works fine in that one.
My theory is razors with fairly narrow blade gaps won't like the Astra SP
I got mine in a sampler pack, I will not be buying any more.

If it doesn't work for you, why bother? Find something else. And I do well with Astras, but always toss them after 3 shaves. I don't expect them to match GSB or Polsilver for quality or longevity.

I have great success with Astra SP, and I certainly don't have tough skin. It's easily in the top four blades I've tried, as for shaving smoothly with no nicks. In fact, I just ordered 100 of them the other day: only the second bulk order of blades I've ever placed, in 1.5 years of DE shaving. I use them in both my razors, Merkur 34c HD and Cadet TP-26 (short handle) OC. My other go-to blade is the famously smooth Voskhod.

BUT. As has been said: If it doesn't work for you, why bother? Lots of people like beer, but I can't stand it. Lots of people like kielbasa, but it gives my wife diarrhea. Lots of people like Astra SP razor blades, but they tear your face up. Move on to what does work for you. (And PIF the leftover blades to a newbie.)

Amen. If Astras are not good for you, toss or PIF them and move on. Life is too short to endure sub-par shaves.

If it doesn't work for you, why bother? Find something else. And I do well with Astras, but always toss them after 3 shaves. I don't expect them to match GSB or Polsilver for quality or longevity.

I too have noticed the Astra SP is finicky when it comes to what razor you put it in.
It works well in my Razorock Mission 3 piece, even with one shim installed under it. I usually get 5 pretty good shaves.
I tried it in a 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable, it did not shave well at all in that razor.
Switched the same blade to my 1969 Super Slim, it works fine in that one.
My theory is razors with fairly narrow blade gaps won't like the Astra SP
I got mine in a sampler pack, I will not be buying any more.

Interesting thanks. Your response saves me the trouble of testing one out in my Gillette Super Adjustable.
Regards,
Renato

Three shaves!

For most of my blades (except Shark Stainless Steel) three shaves is my weaning in period before they become good on me. But I think your point about turfing them is valid - though annoyingly i have a carton of 100.
Regards,
Renato

I have great success with Astra SP, and I certainly don't have tough skin. It's easily in the top four blades I've tried, as for shaving smoothly with no nicks. In fact, I just ordered 100 of them the other day: only the second bulk order of blades I've ever placed, in 1.5 years of DE shaving. I use them in both my razors, Merkur 34c HD and Cadet TP-26 (short handle) OC. My other go-to blade is the famously smooth Voskhod.

BUT. As has been said: If it doesn't work for you, why bother? Lots of people like beer, but I can't stand it. Lots of people like kielbasa, but it gives my wife diarrhea. Lots of people like Astra SP razor blades, but they tear your face up. Move on to what does work for you. (And PIF the leftover blades to a newbie.)

It's the super positive comments like yours that led me to buying a 100 of them initially, and then to ponder what is wrong with my face. Though it was from guys on Basenotes where I first heard about them - all their other advice was spot-on for me, except for the Astra SPs.
Cheers,
Renato

Amen. If Astras are not good for you, toss or PIF them and move on. Life is too short to endure sub-par shaves.

You are right - but it has sort of become a challenge to me, at least until this blade wears out. Though I've had to take a break from it to recover.
Regards,
Renato

I like to think of the Astra's as Russia's take on the Dorco :laugh:
Hah!

Anyone with extra Astra, I am glad to take them off your hand ;-)

I could see them not being for everyone but to hear folks say they are rough surprises me since even with a bad lather, they never skip on me.

You should never order 100 blades of any brand without trying a couple of them out first.

One size never fits all. It's true of many things, and razor blades are no exception.

Top Bottom