What's new

I hate Windows 10 so far.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for the reminder on Linux...

I kinda wrote Linux off years ago when I tried to switched from windows (XP).
Back then I was heavily into video processing and it seemed a complicated process (then) under Linux.
[I even learnt up linux (unix) commands and parameters for the fun of it].

Then promptly switched back to windows...

I no longer do heavy video processing, and most of 'puter times are for watching videos, internet surfing and torrent.
Seriously considering switching to Linux come end of the year...

Which distro is "popular" today (back then I used Redhat)?

Ubuntu seems to be leading the pack for home users. The Softtware Center is like a GUI app store and had gajillions of apps and I seldom need to use a terminal to get the wares that I need. Mint is praised for being "Windows-Like". There are a bunch of distros for smaller older computers and a couple that run nicely as a live CD.

I tried Red Hat and Suse back in the day, and it was just a little geeky for me. I kept going back to OS/2 or Windows. But when Windows 8 came out, I decided I would NOT use a windows computer or a mac, EVER AGAIN, under ANY circumstances, and it was either learn Linux, or never touch a computer again. Luckily for me, Ubuntu was dead easy to set up and start using. The learning curve was not bad at all. I missed a few keyboard and desktop shortcuts, mostly ones that can spell disaster when you use them anyway. Did you ever accidentally change a filename in windohs? LOL. Cant do it in Linux. You have to deliberately do it. Linux has come a long way toward mainstream acceptability. The VB plugins issue is something I never thought about and there are workarounds but a full fix will not be happening soon, since VB is MS proprietary gooble.

If anybody here is interested in experimenting with Linux, you can actually create a bootable USB and run the OS on your computer without installing it to see if it is right for you! It may not be right for everybody, but everybody should give it a try.

I reckon the way that some of us feel when we a friend of ours says he's just fine with his carts, but has never even tried a DE; that's the way us computer nerds feel when Windows users say, "I'm fine with what I have." :001_rolle

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If anybody here is interested in experimenting with Linux, you can actually create a bootable USB and run the OS on your computer without installing it to see if it is right for you! It may not be right for everybody, but everybody should give it a try.

I reckon the way that some of us feel when we a friend of ours says he's just fine with his carts, but has never even tried a DE; that's the way us computer nerds feel when Windows users say, "I'm fine with what I have." :001_rolle

Indeed you can. But a lot of windohs users will throw in the towel after the first 10 minutes because some little thing is done differently in Linux GUIs than in Winblows. And it may run slightly slower from a live USB or CD. But I keep a live Ubunu USB with me all the time, for fixing malfunctioning Wonders computers for folks. I used it just the other day to clone somebody's laptop 500GB HD to a 2TB external and transplant the disk into the laptop and the original into the external case. dd is so awesome! I even used dd to clone my ubuntu live USB and leave him the clone! I didnt push Linux, just let him watch what I could do with it. I think he will think about it for a couple of days and plug that USB into the puter and play around with it. Since that is not his primary computer I bet he will hit "Install" by the end of the day.

Some folks are content to take whatever Microsoft says they should have, or whatever Microsoft "suggests" that PC builders install, or else. These are the cart users of the PC world, yeah, and carts, and Windohs, work, usually, with some limitations. Carts and Microsoft are actually fine, for many folks. But one should realize the heavy handed extortive tactics and massive marketing efforts used by Redmond to keep its iron fisted grip tightly around the neck of PC users, and recognize the truth, that they are victims. I put MS and P&G in pretty much the same category.

So glad I put Ubuntu on my laptop years ago... I have to run a dual boot environment with Windows 7 because SWMBO just doesn't like anything "different", but when I am the only one using it I only roll in Ubuntu.

And when I want to watch Netflix... I use my TV. :thumbup1:

Shot of Grub2 boot screen with choice of Linux Mint 17.2 or Win 10.

$grub2.JPG

I run Linux Mint at home and use a Mac at work. The rare times I touch Windows is on a VM or if I'm helping my wife VPN from our Mint machine to her desktop at work. I ran Windows at home up to XP (which was pretty stable) and then switched to Ubuntu, and later to Mint.

Next week I'll be setting up a new computer for my parents which will have Windows 10. I'm actually curious what the brilliant minds and MS have done in this OS lately. Assume they are no longer trying to force a tablet centric UI on desktop users?

Last edited:
Ubuntu user here for the past several years. Web browsing, image and video editing / conversion, movies, printing everything right out of the box using Ubuntu for many years now. Even gaming now that Steam is onboard as well as Ubuntu folks have setup an official PPA for the Nvidia drivers !

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Something I didn't expect when I first installed Ubuntu on the laptop... The touch screen works. Ubuntu had the necessary drivers already. Honestly I never use it and only found out it was touch responsive by accident, but it was a cool discovery.

I run Linux Mint at home and use a Mac at work. The rare times I touch Windows is on a VM or if I'm helping my wife VPN from our Mint machine to her desktop at work. I ran Windows at home up to XP (which was pretty stable) and then switched to Ubuntu, and later to Mint.

Next week I'll be setting up a new computer for my parents which will have Windows 10. I'm actually curious what the brilliant minds and MS have done in this OS lately. Assume they are no longer trying to force a tablet centric UI on desktop users?

When you are setting it up for them create a new folder some place handy and name it: Controls.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Whenyou open the folder it will have a host of short cuts to all your settings in one place and organized by type.
I guess windows has been doing this for the last few versions but I was unaware.
The name in front of the period can be anything really.

One thing I hate about modern Operating Systems in general is that there are far too many options and choices and customizations and personalizations available. Win10 is no exception, although its easier to figure out and configure than it's predecessor.

I really don't need to have a custom background and personal wallpaper and a myriad of choices for fonts and icons and system audio feedback.

I wish there were a way to have stripped down, generic, one-size-fits-all OpSys interface that is ready to roll right out of the box without taking days and weeks to set up and optimize.

When you are setting it up for them create a new folder some place handy and name it: Controls.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Whenyou open the folder it will have a host of short cuts to all your settings in one place and organized by type.
I guess windows has been doing this for the last few versions but I was unaware.
The name in front of the period can be anything really.

Thanks for this handy tip.

I've seen it before but could never get it to work. This time it did.

OK five days in and had to reload the current image to my SSD. Win 10 would start but lock once it got to the Desktop.
The Linux side still worked fine but I thought I'd give Windows another chance.
I have an image made with Clonezilla of my previous Win7 / Linux Mint config. that ran flawlessly, before this misadventure upgrade started if it gets unstable again.

Edgar, I think you have just led a cleaner life and thus the digital gods favor you and your machine.
What other explanation could there be. Don't get me wrong, I try, I even defrag but they do seem to favor you.:lol:

I liked 7, I liked 8.1 and I'm liking 10.

proxy.php

:tongue_sm

Top Bottom