What's new

I am confused....

Being as I live in Arizona I feel the need to comment. The reasons for this bill being passed is because of the crime committed by illegals. In fact THE CRIME that caused it to be passed was the most recent one where a rancher down south along the border was murdered in his home by an illegal. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. But Arizona has been a hot bed of kidnappings, of illegals by illegals. Human trafficking, again of illegals and those who make their money that way are called Coyotes. And many of these kidnappings are also connected to drugs. The cartels use the Coyotes and the illegals in their operations. And another big crime here not connected to the kidnappings but are connected to the illegals has been the rise in home invasions. Forced entry with guns, robbery and assault. And the descriptions of the suspects all have them being hispanic. So far as I have read those that have been caught have all been illegal aliens. Plus there is the car theft or should I say truck theft. Trucks are a hot item, they are stolen and taken south of the border, refitted and used to bring drugs back into the states.
So basically the reasons behind the bill are meant to enforce the immigration laws already on the books and to cut back on crime committed by illegals. All those in Washington and other places decrying the law and screaming "Racist" don't live here and don't have to deal with problems that are caused by illegal immigration.

I am not going to get into a discussion regarding the immigration issue because i have fairly strong feelings about it however i did want to bring up something that came up in regards to the police being able to stop you for no reason. They can already do that. I spoke with a police officer friend of mine and they only have to be able to give some type of logical reason for doing so and they can go up to anyone on the street and ask to see identification. Suspicious behavior is a reason and any behavior can be labeled as suspicious as long as it is spun right.

Guys I'm just bookmarking this thread. I have my opinion on this particular subject but I don't feel B&B is the place to discuss it. I urge everyone to keep this discussion civil so we don't have to close this thread.

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON, EXCEPT IF THE DETERMINATION MAY HINDER OR OBSTRUCT AN INVESTIGATION. ANY PERSON WHO IS ARRESTED SHALL HAVE THE PERSON’S IMMIGRATION STATUS DETERMINED BEFORE THE PERSON IS RELEASED. THE PERSON’S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c). A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY NOT SOLELY CONSIDER RACE, COLOR OR NATIONAL ORIGIN IN IMPLEMENTING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS SUBSECTION EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE UNITED STATES OR ARIZONA CONSTITUTION.

The text that I have highlighted, and that you provided, is not included in the portion of the bill that you quote.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

The only time national origin is mentioned in the bill is in regards to employment investigations. This is found in Section 6, Paragraph B.

This bill should be read in its entirety by anyone and everyone that wishes to comment in this thread.

The bill linked is not the signed legislation. The legislation recently signed by the governor does have the language quoted above.

Source.

Here's an article that discusses it.

That article never demonstrates how Federal law is trumped.

Here is the Supremacy Clause, how does the AZ law violate it?

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

That article never demonstrates how Federal law is trumped.

Here is the Supremacy Clause, how does the AZ law violate it?

I'm too tired (and I mean that literally, not dismissively) to get into a discussion of federal preemption. Suffice it to say that I think the Arizona law will probably be ruled unconstitutional, but not necessarily that it's a slam-dunk, which is why I said I "would not be surprised" if it is struck down.

Whether the law is a good idea or not is another question, but I've said enough on that already.

Last edited:
Immigration laws are truly needed but this law will promote race profiling for people of brown skin including myself. I would hate to get pulled over daily to prove I was born in this great country. I would really be pissed if it happened to my daughter and my soldier son.

well put.

To be quite honest I am quite tan and am mistaken quite often by hispanics to be hispanic myself. I would not mind at all to be asked to show proof at a time of being stopped by an officer. It would show me that they were doing their job and I would applaud and thank them.

**BTW, I am not trying to start a heated debate but rather am searching for a real answer to my question from a supporter of the opposition which holds merit. I apologize if it looks as otherwise.

I'm glad you have confidence that the system will treat all fairly..

But, I seem to doubt that most people would be so accepting of being stopped to show their papers on the whim of any cop with an agenda..

This law is not the way to stop the problem of illegal immigration. You should go after the companies that hire illegals. It is easy in this day and age to make sure their social security # corresponds to them. Employers should check them and be required to do so. Creating a police state is not the way to handle this situation. If people wouldn't hire illegals, they would not come here. If I had to live somewhere illegally to take care of my family, I would.

This law is not the way to stop the problem of illegal immigration. You should go after the companies that hire illegals. It is easy in this day and age to make sure their social security # corresponds to them. Employers should check them and be required to do so. Creating a police state is not the way to handle this situation. If people wouldn't hire illegals, they would not come here. If I had to live somewhere illegally to take care of my family, I would.

Agreed on all points.

I am a professional immigrant so to speak.I have been both legal and illegal though not in this country.I know how powerless you feel when you're an illegal. Without many words I want to make a quick point.As long as rapacious politics will try to cash in on this huge problem ther will not be a real solution .Fingerpointing will draw more of fingerpointing and politics will pretend to side with the week and powerless until the vote is casted.Silence and oblivion is what comes after!!!!

I'm too tired (and I mean that literally, not dismissively) to get into a discussion of federal preemption. Suffice it to say that I think the Arizona law will probably be ruled unconstitutional, but not necessarily that it's a slam-dunk, which is why I said I "would not be surprised" if it is struck down.

Whether the law is a good idea or not is another question, but I've said enough on that already.

That's fine. I disagree though, the way I understand it, the AZ references Fed law and reinforces it instead of clashing with it, but like you said we will have to wait and see what happens. It will be interesting.

I spent 30 years as an INS Special Agent. The State has no authority to enforce Immigration laws plain and simple. They can pass whatever law they want but in the end when they catch the aliens and call ICE to come get them ICE will probably say no then what is Arizona going to do? They won't be able to afford to hold them and they can't deport them and very quickly they will be sued for violating someones civil rights. I predict it will be a law that will never be enforced.

Top Bottom