What's new

Hydrolast Review

Congrats, Songwind. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks atx for the thread and PIF. Great work and we all appreciate it. Still shocked this didn't turn into another MS thread. Great job.

Just wanted to add a thanks to CAR for donating the 150 g round in Green Tea that songwind wanted. He also gave me the jars I need to ship it right.

So today I was able to start the Cold Turkey test. Apparently after usong Hydrolast for a while, it stays in ypur skin for a couple of days, so that is one thing to keep in mind. Another is that from day one I have been using cutting balm. The third is that after using hydrolast and becoming accustomed to it, my point if view may be different.

So brush and hot bowl lather for me. I usually make the lather in a bowl and float it in the sink to keep it warm -stuff redneck scuttle! I was using GFT cream in the GFT scent. I also was ising a 7amF*ing blade for the first time. I was rather impressed with this little blade. This particular blade was a gift from Momentum Grooming in Vancouver BC. CAR has given me several boxes (he hates them) and I am putting those in an Austin PIF to later.

So the phone is breaking this up a bit, but we will get there. I got a good dfs but kept wanting to grab the finishing balm or cutting balm to finish. Maybe I was just going too far with this lather. I did have to back off under the chin because I was starting to get irritated. CO Bigelow AS and out the door I went. I did finish with the alum block. I had issues getting the moisturizer to soak in as well. Overall not bad, just not as close and a tad of irritation.

I am flying today, but will have the HD with me because the hotel is near an AOS! I have yet to go there, so this should be fun! I will get blades there to continue with. No Hydrolast in the travel kit (even the Ocean 150g round I got the other day -though love that scent).

So off we go for a minimum of 3the days, and we will see from there. I will probably add a few small posts on skin feeling and condition as we go.

BTW -I will ship the PIF stuff when I get back on Wednesday.

this is where it gets really interesting, if you ask me. I'm curious to see a back-and-forth-and-back-again. I hope some others who've use Hydrolast for extended periods chime in. If this ends up the bee's knees, I'm going to have to save and buy a sample kit.

Beengone - I totally agree. This is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. CAR has said anout 3-4 days I will really notice a big difference. We will see. Through day 3 I can't back out because I don't have another option. I will be going with my Jack Black soon too to put it to the test!

BTW - Beengone - I love your photo - it makes me think back to pre shave days . BBS &I irritation free were a way of life!

BTW - Beengone - I love your photo - it makes me think back to pre shave days . BBS &I irritation free were a way of life!
I'm only 31 and can't remember very well my pre-shave days. I've had to shave ok get than not.

Not really sure what happened on the auto-correct there. I think it was supposed to say, "I've had to shave longer than not." Not a good sentence, granted, but certainly better than the original gibberish.

Last edited:
I'm not that far ahead of you at 35.

I went into AOS today. That was sort of funny. The store, of course, only carried Gillette products. When I went in I let them know I needed blades. They looked blank. I remembered they push high end Mach 3 handles and such, so I tried to clarify by saing "well, DE blades is what I meant." Then they looked even more confused. "Double edge razor blades." Light bulb went on there - "Oh - the old timey blades." . They rummaged in a drawer and said "What type do you want?" I said Feathers if you have them. Blank look again. So I asked what they had. Merkurs (ugh!) and Gillette. I said Gillette and she warned me those were "A lot sharper than the Merkur blades. They are really really sharp." I tried not to laugh, thinking of these and Feathers. I said I though I would be OK with it. They are Russian manufacture Gillettes, and I will post a pic later.

She asked what products I normally used. I went for it and said Hydrolast mostly, although I have tried GFT, L'Occitane, Jack Black, and Arko. She asked why I liked my favorites, and I said protection from irritation, nicks and skin conditioning - bit of a blank look. More blank looks. I think she might have recognized Jack Black and L'Occitane - maybe. The answer she was expecting was canned goo or foamy of some sort. She asked if I would like to see what they had. Honestly, I had seen it from the moment I walked in - all AOS stuff, but that was expected so I said sure. She went to a sink and showed me a couple of their offerings. During this she asked if I had ever thought of using a brush (remember the list I gave her of what I used??). I said I already have two, so yes I have. I was really just interested in the scents for deciding what to get. I felt like I was trying to shop for a nice shirt at Wal-Mart instead of Brooks Brothers. We were having two totally different discussions really. She was well trained to sell what they had, but past that, had no idea what the rest of the market looked like.

I decided to get the starter kit to try out, since these are fairly premium products to test against. We will find out shortly. I got the starter kit in sandalwood (hey, I like woodsy scents and have had a few citrus already). I wish they had a bacon and maple syrup scent though - that would start the morning off right!!!!:001_tt1: Maybe Mamma Bear can work on that. At any rate, I will post pics and thoughts shortly.

Before I go, I will say that my skin is a bit dryer and less "supple" to use an infomercial word. It just feels less soft and more scritchy. Nothing drastic mind you, just not as good as it was. Remember I am really just going to where you guys are right now and working off the Hydrolast.

I said Gillette and she warned me those were "A lot sharper than the Merkur blades. They are really really sharp." I tried not to laugh, thinking of these and Feathers. I said I though I would be OK with it. They are Russian manufacture Gillettes, and I will post a pic later.
I actually thought the Gillettes were just about as sharp as the Feathers, and a hell of a lot smoother.
I wish they had a bacon and maple syrup scent though - that would start the morning off right!!!!:001_tt1: Maybe Mamma Bear can work on that.
She had bacon for a while. Now you'd have to make due with apple stuffed french toast.

I have to order some of that from Mama Bear!!!! (I noticed she still has the regular bath soap in bacon:drool:)
Derby
The big concern at AOS with the Gillette blades was that I was sort of confused. She didn't have any point of reference. In most shave shops I would assume they would say "these are like the Sweedes/7 O'Clock/Feather/Derby blades". Something as a reference beyond "really sharp". Sort of left me confused. I think these are the Gillettes that replaced the Sweedes.

$2012-03-19_15-20-21_817.jpg$2012-03-19_15-20-32_766.jpg

OK - great new thought (at least for me) - Shaving music! Bill Wither's "Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone" was a great start today. Follow with Clapton, Jake Andrews, and Blind Lemon and it makes it all that much better!

On the blades - I really like these. They are smooth and sharp, but seem a bit more forgiving that the little monsters I usually use (Feathers). They are not as sharp as the Feather, but I am finding a few others I like that are not bad at all. The 7 O'Clock platinum (which I was prepared to hate) surprised me and these are good too. That said, Merkur, Derby, Wilkinson and Derby are all done for me. I don't know what that strange mix of blades says about my face, but hey, sometimes things just work and only God knows why.

$2012-03-19_15-20-42_738.jpg$2012-03-19_15-21-32_39.jpg

The AOS kit. I really liked the tiny little brush when I got it out. I thought "perfect size for travel!". Wrong. The brush probably would have worked better if it was shorter so it had more backbone. As it is, it was difficult to lather the cream and get it applied. The thing is just SO floppy. I ended up just painting on the cream with it. I can't imagine trying to work a soap with this thing. Also, it shed like I poured Nair over it. Probably 20-30 hairs in one shave! Could be a first time out of the box thing, but I kept wanting to look and see if the brush still had any hair left. Probably headed for a PIF with some other stuff later. Hopefully it is a case of YMMV.

I used the shave oil and shaving cream after a hot shower. The shave oil smoothed out the shave, but seemed to take some of the feel out of the shave. Sort of a detachment between the blade being there and what I feel. Strange thing for me really. I am used to feeling where the blade is more. The aftershave cream was not bad at all. Woody and nice.

I did 2xWTG, 1 form 2 (diagonal down and in), 1 form 3 (diagonal up and in), and 1 ATG. A bit of buffering and I am all good. I know this is a LOT of passes (5 with buffering) but it is what I am used to doing. I have a bit of irritation on the back of the jaw, bottom of the neck on the side, and once again under the jaw. I am still not as close as normal though. I just had to stop before I irritated my face into a red mess. No cuts or nicks though, so that's good.

I did notice a steep drop off in the closeness today when I was going to shave. Normally I am not in bad shape at all after 24 hours. In fact, I would say after 24 hours, I still have about 8-9 hours before I get a classic five o'clock shadow. This was not at all the case today. I had 36 hours worth of work to do after 24 hours. The moisturizer is also not as easily absorbing into my skin, so there are some defiant changes happening. I am not able to get as close, the irritation is going up (I may have to reduce my number of passes) and my skin is not as healthy feeling. On to day 3 tomorrow, although it will be real early for the shave, so maybe 14 hours growth. We will see.....

Your trip to AOS sounds like you walked into McDonalds to order a steak. "We have burgers." *blank stare* Thanks for writing that out for us. Never used the AOS stuff and don't know if I will. How did it compare to the GFT you've been using? Also, that looks like a tall, floppy brush.

As for Gillette blades, I haven't tried the ones you picked up. I've tried some of the 7 O'Clock line. Be careful with them, there are some that are the same color and looks, but are different blades. See here. I've only tried the Russian blades and really liked the Greens, Yellows (get rave reviews) seem mediocre, and hated the Blues. Want to try the Blacks and the other Greens. Just beware there are two Greens.

Sort of like McDonalds asking what burgers you liked best and you answer "Kobe beef from a small Japanese farm. Hand fed and rubbed for their life. Organic of course, and humanely processed. Of course, only the beef loin goes into the burger. The cheese is from a small swiss maker and is alderwood smoked before being melted over carmelized onions." They answer "Um... we have an angus burger."

That said, I am not meaning to be overly critical of AOS. They are what they are, and are owned by Big G. I just can't take them too seriously when they sell $200 handles for a Mach 3 and a battery powered vibrating silvertip brush for $250. What I did expect and was surprised by was the lack of understanding of what the competiton had on the market. They understand their own products, and for someone off the street, it would work well. For anyone on this forum, you have more knowledge than the sales people there. They were trying to explain what shave oil was and why a brush is better to me. It just all came off as a bit of a canned speech instead of informing the customer.

The brush is floppy, but it is so small I really want to like it. It would work SO well for traveling. I am going to have to use it some more before I really decide. Right now though it is a bit dissapointing with all the hype AOS gets. They are the biggest retailer of premium shaving supplies after all. Maybe my expectations were too high though.

The cream is REALLY rich and thick. Almost goopy. I can't imagine using it with a cartridge since it seems that it would just gum it up. I am curious what happens if I use it with a bowl and a brush that can add more air to it to really whip it up. I can see some liking it and the scent stays around a while from the set. What surprised me most was 1)How much less I felt the blade (not in a good way) when shaving with the oil. I had trouble feeling where the angle was right and cutting most efficiently. 2)How much the protection for multiple passes and a really close shave is dropping. For me to get close and reduce the beard, I need to take it ever closer and closer. I run out of protection before I run out of hair. I could feel myself really pushing the irritation as I got into the last passes I did, but could have worked more to get closer.

I think the ability to just keep at it for just about as long as you want is a Hydrolast thing. I know most here use 3 passes and a touch up, athough I have been using 5+. Also, I am not able to reduce as much in one shot as usual. I had to do 2 passes N-S, where I only have to do one usually. Blade? Product? No Hydrolast? Don't know for sure. I think keeping on with this should help me reach conclusions for myself, but I am putting it down so you guys can see how I reached my conclusions and make some for your own.

The blades were really a default choice there. I HATE the Merkur blades, so this was the other choice. I was just glad to see that they had something other than Merkur. These in the box pictured above are not bad. I think after looking at other threads, they are the Russian replacment for the Sweedes. They have solid reviews and I agree that they are nice blades. I may have to add those to the rotation if I end up wanting something a bit more forgiving. I will have to look at the 7 O'clock package when I get home. I am not sure at all. CAR had gotten them in and hated them enough he wouldn't even sell them. He put them below Merkur and generic rebranded blades. In his experience they were apparently some of the worst he had ever tried. Oddly enough, I like them. Not my beloved feathers, but not bad at all. Once again YMMV reigns. We were using the same products and prep but had opposite results.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Some things about Hydrolast. I was trying to think what were the most critical parts of the puzzle there. I think the cutting balm and the paste are the biggies. The soap is nice, but not absolutely nesscessary, since others work well with it. Then again, at $4.95 for a 150g round, why switch? CAR has a bunch of scents, plus the big (Like 500+g bars) for a few bucks more, and Da Cube for like $12 I think. Lots of selection there, plus any others you really like. The conditioner is really nice, and almost made the absolutely needed list, but since it doesn't help you get any better during the shave, only after, I left that out. The finishing balm is something to really consider, since it lets you go really close at the end, but the others get you close enough for most days. Finishing balm is a good one, but not as needed as the others. I think this would get someone a good idea of what the system does, and I would really try the conditioner and finishing balm ASAP. Cutting balm will protect and condition your skin if you use it before the shave and a couple of drops massaged in after the shave with water splashed on to absorb in after the shave. The paste seems to add the "slickness" and reduces irritation a lot, and also adds the "healthy shine" aka gloss. The other stuff is nice and really on par or better than any others I have tried.

In order of importance I would go with -
1)Cutting Balm
2)Shaving Paste
3)Conditioner (it just feels too good! :001_wub:)
4)Finishing Balm
5)One of the soaps

Then again, I have only used the activator a couple of times, so I really won't place it in line here. Hopefully that gives you guys some idea if you want to try it a bit at a time by only getting a couple of products at a shot. That said, it really comes into it's own when they all come together. They are solid products individually, but are meant to be used as a complete set.

Since I am thinking about it, some thoughts on YYMV. It seems to be the mantra around here to use it. We all know what works for one of us outrageously well, kills many others. Why? Who knows.

I mean really, we have dry skin, normal, sensitive, oily, acne, scars, moles, rosacia, psoriasis, ingrown hairs, heavy beard, light beard, normal beard, coarse, thin, curly hairs, and on and on. We are all really an expert at one thing, our own faces. There are WAY too many factors for a one size fits all approach. I would imagine that is part of the reason many of us are here. We weren't satisfied with Big G telling us 5 blades at a set angle and a can of synthetic goo would work for us, and if you don't like the results, well, that is as good as a man can get.

I think we have gotten past the discussion of how to get rid of the hair - I mean, an electric does enough to get by. Mach 3 isn't bad at all doing that. We have been there for MANY years. What we are looking at now is not how close, but how close without irritation. We can all get super close, but it does no good if we are red, sliced and irritated for a week afterwards. That is why I think we need to look more at the skin - we have the hair thing down. We are, after all, taking surgically sharp knives and rubbing them all over our face every day and trying to make it fun.

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, I can tell you what experiences I have with something, and you at least have an idea what it might do for you. Personally, if you haven't guessed or had your head buried somehow, I like the hydrolast stuff. It works for me. Will it work for you? Dunno. I think it has enough flexibility to adjust for you, but hey, who knows. If all of B&B tried it, I am sure some wouldn't like it. But the point of this whole thread is just to say what works for me, same as most other threads here. If one size fit all, we would just buy what Mantic told us was best and be done with AD's and seeking perfection for our own face.

Does this mean that I think Hydrolast is the end all be all for all of us? I hope not and I suspect CAR would agree. I hope we have people who keep pushing to make products and techniques better and better for all of us. The end result is that we all win with better shaves, closer and less irritation.

Last edited:
Interesting to look back into this thread after about a week's worth hiatus.

I've been interested in trying Gillette blades, but there are SO MANY! Green, Yellow, Black, Blue, Ruby, Super Iridium... The list feels like it goes on. Kind of want to a test trial with all of them with another shaver or 2 and see what we find to be the best, as I can't really begin to fathom their differences :sad:.

As for Art of Shaving products, I think their is a place in Austin that sells them. Heroes and Legends I believe is what the store is called. It's an upscale tobacco shop with some candles and shaving products to help mix it up. They also have a membership lounge. Nice place, but last time I went in there with the girlfriend, I felt like we were being watched, but not helped. I'll probably go in there again soon to see what else they have there for shaving, and pick up a cigar so I feel like I'm not being looked down for window shopping :001_unsur.

Kudos for actually trying the before and after effects thing with Hydrolast. You are a brave soldier stepping into that territory :001_tt2:. I mean, yeah, I might drop Hydrolast for a while and see what else there is to use in the world. Curiosity might kill the cat, or at least nick me a few times...

I have yet to really try the Finishing Balm (though I'm stoked to go and buy it soon!) or the Activator, I'd have to go rearrange my list of items in terms of must-needs. I totally agree with the Cutting Balm as priority number one. This stuff is never leaving me. Excellent preshave oil, and good conditioning aftershave, plus it can be used in the lather. Stuff really goes any which way you need need it. Definitely worth the $35. I've had mine for nearing... 2 months? ALMOST used a quarter, and I feel I may be using a tad too much. Second for me is the conditioner, though I used the super potent stuff. Closes up nicks and weepers and conditions the skin. The stuff I use kind of irritates me for the first half hour, so I'll see how the regular stuff works, since I still have plenty of that too. All in all, good aftershave balm. After those two items... I'd go with the soap, though any higher quality soap would do. I'm using La Lavande Sandalwood, and boy! I forgot how good that stuff smells! And the lather! I just soak it for a minute in hot water and then swirl my brush on it and get wet yet rich lather. Very different from Da Cube, which is much runnier. Not a bad thing, but I like the smell of this Sandalwood soap. Very appeasing. The Aromatic Tonic and Shave paste are at the end of my list. Neither are necessary, but I like them and the effects they bring to my skin.

Let me know how well those Gillette blades are treating you! I might have to search for a box...

La Lavande is the big block right?? If it is, I am using the same one a lot. I just set anything remotely Hydrolast aside for a bit here. I agree that the cutting balm is what I miss the most. I am glad to see your ranking too. Surprised we put paste so far apart - LOL. At least we agree on the first one, and the conditioner is amazing.Talk to CAR, he has a basket of the 7 O'Clock blades. I haven't been into Heroes and Legacies yet so no comment there. I went to the AOS store here in Philidelphia for this since they are near the hotel. If you want, when we get that PIF together I can let you try this AOS stuff. I wasn't really impressed. Smells good though. I was planning that for adding into the PIF with the blades we have been talking about.

Top Bottom