What's new

Howdy!

I didn't realize there was a new member thread, and since I had recently joined and posted, I figured I should also say Hi.

I've been shaving with cartridges for decades, from the 3-bladed Atra to, most recently, a 5-blade from BIC (Made for You). And for the most part got pretty decent shaves. However, over the past several months I have noticed that not only have my shaves been getting less close, but the irritation from shaving was getting worse. I thought that maybe there was a bad cartridge in the batch, but it was prevalent throughout the whole batch of 12 and then into another one. Finally, a light bulb went off as I took a good look in the mirror and realized - hmmm...maybe it's because of all the gray whiskers? :)

So, I looked into solutions to the shaving issue and discovered that using a single-edge or double-edge razor is actually better for both shaving and also for your skin. I did a lot of research on it (thank you B&B for a good deal of it) and decided to give the "wet shaving" route a go. I figured that while it would probably take more time to shave, requiring getting up earlier in the morning, even if I have to do 3 passes along with possible touch-ups, it is still less blades scraping my skin than a single pass with the cartridge and typically I required 2 passes with touch ups (10-15 blades touching the skin!)

About a month ago I picked up a Merkur 34c, a synthetic brush (didn't want to have to deal with the soaking of badger brush and also wanted to make sure that this was for me before dropping lots of money), some Stirling shave soap - Bay Rum and also Haverford (which smells awesome BTW), and a 15-tuck sample pack of blades.

I have been enjoying the process, taking time to shave, trying out different blades to see which ones work best for me, and thinking about all the other shave soap scents I want to try. I now look forward to shaving instead of dreading it as a chore.

- Manny

Welcome to B&B, Manny!

Yep gray whiskers can be a problem. Been fighting them for years. This is what happens to those that are in their Metallic Years. Silver in your hair, gold in your teeth and lead in your butt!

Again, welcome!

I didn't realize there was a new member thread, and since I had recently joined and posted, I figured I should also say Hi.

I've been shaving with cartridges for decades, from the 3-bladed Atra to, most recently, a 5-blade from BIC (Made for You). And for the most part got pretty decent shaves. However, over the past several months I have noticed that not only have my shaves been getting less close, but the irritation from shaving was getting worse. I thought that maybe there was a bad cartridge in the batch, but it was prevalent throughout the whole batch of 12 and then into another one. Finally, a light bulb went off as I took a good look in the mirror and realized - hmmm...maybe it's because of all the gray whiskers? :)

So, I looked into solutions to the shaving issue and discovered that using a single-edge or double-edge razor is actually better for both shaving and also for your skin. I did a lot of research on it (thank you B&B for a good deal of it) and decided to give the "wet shaving" route a go. I figured that while it would probably take more time to shave, requiring getting up earlier in the morning, even if I have to do 3 passes along with possible touch-ups, it is still less blades scraping my skin than a single pass with the cartridge and typically I required 2 passes with touch ups (10-15 blades touching the skin!)

About a month ago I picked up a Merkur 34c, a synthetic brush (didn't want to have to deal with the soaking of badger brush and also wanted to make sure that this was for me before dropping lots of money), some Stirling shave soap - Bay Rum and also Haverford (which smells awesome BTW), and a 15-tuck sample pack of blades.

I have been enjoying the process, taking time to shave, trying out different blades to see which ones work best for me, and thinking about all the other shave soap scents I want to try. I now look forward to shaving instead of dreading it as a chore.

- Manny
Hey, Manny, your journey isn't terribly different from mine.:thumbsup:
You've made wise choices, undoubtedly helped by forums such as this one. I know I gleaned a lot of information prior to diving in. Buying blade samples is a great idea and now I've narrowed my choices down a little, although I confess I've never had a terrible blade ... just that some are better than others, at least for my face in my razors.
I'm still trying out blades. I just got some Ladas, Gillette Minoras, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows (SharpEdge) and Bic Chrome Platinums. Do I need them? Absolutely not. I literally have hundreds of blades now, 34 brands collected over the past year since I converted to traditional shaving. But they're pretty cheap and it's fun to try different things.
Oh, and one last thing: I absolutely love Stirling's Bay Rum and Haverford. I've shaved with both of them in the last week. 😆😎
You have good taste. Keep at it ... it's really a pretty cool journey/hobby/obsession/whatever because, as you said, for the first time in my life, I actually look forward to shaving every morning now.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
, and thinking about all the other shave soap scents I want to try.
Be careful, folks around here don’t usually fall down rabbit holes. The rabbits pick us up and throw us in.
Rabbit Hole Omg GIF by Tubi

Buying blade samples is a great idea and now I've narrowed my choices down a little, although I confess I've never had a terrible blade ... just that some are better than others, at least for my face in my razors.
I wish I could say the same thing about never having a terrible blade. Shark Super Chrome was absolutely horrible for me. One shave and tossed it. Scared the hell out of me to try its sister blade the Shark Super Stainless. But I girded my loins and did it and got a surprisingly decent shave. So yeah, sampling is good and I am sorting them out based on what works and how well. I also know that technique is part of the equation, so will probably revisit the poorer performers down the road. Not too sure about the SSC though...

You have good taste.
Yes. Yes I do. And thank you for noticing! :biggrin1:

I wish I could say the same thing about never having a terrible blade. Shark Super Chrome was absolutely horrible for me. One shave and tossed it. Scared the hell out of me to try its sister blade the Shark Super Stainless. But I girded my loins and did it and got a surprisingly decent shave. So yeah, sampling is good and I am sorting them out based on what works and how well. I also know that technique is part of the equation, so will probably revisit the poorer performers down the road. Not too sure about the SSC though...

Yes. Yes I do. And thank you for noticing! :biggrin1:
I really like the Shark Super Stainless blades. I had some Super Chromes but just gave them away. Like everything else in shaving (and in life, for that matter), everybody has a different reaction to everything. 😆
I hope the guy I gave them to likes them.

Here's my latest batch ...
Don't try to lather up that Bay Rum - it's bath soap! (I'm sure you know that, but someone else got a sample from Stirling and was having a heck of a time with it and then realized it wasn't shave soap).

I got a bath soap sample of the Hot Apple Cider - smells nice, but not sure if I would want to have it as a shave soap. I also do have the Triumph scent, which is an Invictus clone - never smelled that before and it is a bit too young-person cologne-y for me. But it works for shaving...

I did look at the Stirling Gentleman, but figured since the Haverford already has tobacco and vanilla in it, it would be somewhat redundant even though it does add amber and musk. Texas on Fire - I prefer my trees to be fresh smelling not burning down. :) Baker Street - has patchouli in it - not a big fan of that. But I hope you enjoy the lot of them!

My current wish list has Deton-8 (a V&R Spice Bomb dupe, yes, cologne, but it has spices which I like), Sharp Dressed Man (a Green Irish Tweed dupe - never smelled that either but it seems to be popular and figured I'd give it a try), Ozark Mountain, Black Ice (licorice/anise with menthol - wanted to try a menthol one and I love licorice). To round out the 5-pack sampler it is a toss-up between Black Cherry and Almond Creme - I keep going back and forth on this. Yes, I know, I can just get both and pay extra for the 6th one, and I just might do that. 🤔

Don't try to lather up that Bay Rum - it's bath soap! (I'm sure you know that, but someone else got a sample from Stirling and was having a heck of a time with it and then realized it wasn't shave soap).

I got a bath soap sample of the Hot Apple Cider - smells nice, but not sure if I would want to have it as a shave soap. I also do have the Triumph scent, which is an Invictus clone - never smelled that before and it is a bit too young-person cologne-y for me. But it works for shaving...

I did look at the Stirling Gentleman, but figured since the Haverford already has tobacco and vanilla in it, it would be somewhat redundant even though it does add amber and musk. Texas on Fire - I prefer my trees to be fresh smelling not burning down. :) Baker Street - has patchouli in it - not a big fan of that. But I hope you enjoy the lot of them!

My current wish list has Deton-8 (a V&R Spice Bomb dupe, yes, cologne, but it has spices which I like), Sharp Dressed Man (a Green Irish Tweed dupe - never smelled that either but it seems to be popular and figured I'd give it a try), Ozark Mountain, Black Ice (licorice/anise with menthol - wanted to try a menthol one and I love licorice). To round out the 5-pack sampler it is a toss-up between Black Cherry and Almond Creme - I keep going back and forth on this. Yes, I know, I can just get both and pay extra for the 6th one, and I just might do that. 🤔
Yeah, I know the Bay Rum is bath soap. They threw that in free on my last order. I already had the Bay Rum shave soap.
proxy.php

I've tried Baker Street, Barber Shop, Bay Rum, Deep Blue Sea, Haverford, Hot Apple Cider, Pharoah's Dreamsicle, Sandalwood, Stirling Gentleman and Texas On Fire. I found Deep Blue Sea underwhelming, if pleasant, and my initial reaction to Stirling Gentleman was that it smells of bug spray. But I'll try it again, of course. My favorite is Barbershop and I also love Bay Rum, Haverford and Hot Apple Cider.

Top Bottom