What's new

Howdie!

As I mentioned in another thread, I was thinking of picking up the King C. Gillette at Walgreens, but that's more out of convenience than anything else.

I don't want to jump the gun and ignore other, perhaps better options. I would like to stick to no more than $50.

My skin tends to be sensitive. Since I'm relatively new, I don't want a big jump in aggressiveness from the Merkur I've been using. I do want something with a little more oomph.

My research turned up Maggard's as an economical option where I could buy a handle and 1 or perhaps 2 different heads. Also that Aliexpress has a lot of low cost razors -- are they junk or worth trying?

I also don't want to be the guy who keeps buying razors until my drawer overflows with them. :eek2: But the fact that I joined here is probably the first step in becoming that kind of guy. :c2:

Thanks.

All the stuff you need.
Yea, could be. I may be chasing a ghost. It does seem like people here like to try out a bunch of different razors, though.
I was reading in a thread here that Merkur has made their heads milder now than several years ago. Mine is less than a year old. Maybe that's why I'm pining for a razor with more oomph? I'm awaiting a shipment of some Silver Blues -- maybe that will help, too. Thnx.

If you’re happy with your shave now, STOP! If you’re not, it’s likely a technique issue. You have a very fine razor there and a good blade. I suggest changing nothing for 6 months. Work with what you have and try to get a better shave. I’d suggest working on cutting angle.

If, and only if, you can’t get the shave you want a) it might be that you want a closer shave than is necessary or even possible, or b) change only one variable at a time, and use that for 6 months. I’d start with a blade change. Most people get good results with the Personna Lab Blue. I use Lord blades exclusively. Perhaps try a blade sample. But not now; 6 months before you change anything.

If you’re happy with your shave now, STOP! If you’re not, it’s likely a technique issue. You have a very fine razor there and a good blade. I suggest changing nothing for 6 months. Work with what you have and try to get a better shave. I’d suggest working on cutting angle.

If, and only if, you can’t get the shave you want a) it might be that you want a closer shave than is necessary or even possible, or b) change only one variable at a time, and use that for 6 months. I’d start with a blade change. Most people get good results with the Personna Lab Blue. I use Lord blades exclusively. Perhaps try a blade sample. But not now; 6 months before you change anything.
Yea, I've only been at it a few months. I'm happy enough -- better than carts -- but I'm still not getting what I'd call a BBS. Not sure it's a DFS, either. It's the neck that mostly falls short. So I should sit on the silver blues and stick with Astra for another few months?

thx

Yea, I've only been at it a few months. I'm happy enough -- better than carts -- but I'm still not getting what I'd call a BBS. Not sure it's a DFS, either. It's the neck that mostly falls short. So I should sit on the silver blues and stick with Astra for another few months?

thx
Astra’s a highly regarded blade. I’d stay with it and work on technique.

I don't know guys -- is your 33c/34c older or newer?
This could be my issue:

Top Bottom