What's new

How to use a slant? Tips and Tricks for best results using a Slant?

Thanks for the link. I just emailed Lee and got a response almost immediately. Indeed, it is new website problems. No worries here - sounds like Lee is taking care of things!

Thanks for the link. I just emailed Lee and got a response almost immediately. Indeed, it is new website problems. No worries here - sounds like Lee is taking care of things!

In my experience, he always does :wink:

Glad things have worked out.

Use it with a less aggressive blade to start (eg IP, Derby).
Use it with a really sharp blade when you are really expert (eg Feather, Gillette)

I don't use mine much these days. My facial hair needs a sharper blade, but my skin gets too irritated with the feather/gillette + slant combo.

S.

I will add things I learned from other posters.

1) Make sure the blade is in correctly. The blade edge should be parallel to the razor head and protrude an even and equal distance on both sides of the head. It should not be parallel to the Slant Bar.

2) Make sure you have done #1 above!

Not sure what this means; I line up the edges using the 'beaded line' of the bar on either side, looking down 'birds eye view' at the razor head. It would seem I'm doing exactly what you say should not be done. Can you clarify this for me? Thanks.

(wonder if I should bump those 'Slant science' threads with the argument about what a helix is etc, fun reading there...)

Not to derail the topic but ... I have an order with Lee myself from 8/8 and haven't received anything. I also sent him an email a few days ago with no response. Any idea what's going on?
Lee is a great, knowledgeable guy. Just call him at 1-800-503-5001. He ships very quickly and there is no S&H charge if you tell him you're a member of B&B. Tell him John W. sent you. He always answers the phone.

I usually to XTG for first pass and ATG for last pass with no need for j-hooking or blade buffing. BTW, call Lee and tell him you're a member of B&B and he'll refund you're S&H. Tell him John W. sent you.

I would, but I live in a completely different country, so the cost of my call would equal an insane amount... Oh well.. Thank you for the answer.
Sorry about derailing this thread..

He lists an 800 number. Those still work outside the country right?

So I've used my Slant(39C) a few times now. The first time was a little tricky, but after that it was pretty simple. I haven't tried using it on my head yet, I'll give that another week or two.

The only real difficulty I'm having is right under my lower lip. No matter what I seem to do I end up with some major irritation right there. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I'm doing wrong? I don't cut myself, or get visible razor burn it just seems awfully raw after the shave and hurts like hell.

Not sure what this means; I line up the edges using the 'beaded line' of the bar on either side, looking down 'birds eye view' at the razor head. It would seem I'm doing exactly what you say should not be done. Can you clarify this for me? Thanks.

(wonder if I should bump those 'Slant science' threads with the argument about what a helix is etc, fun reading there...)

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about that... I'm pretty sure the blade only goes on the razor in one particular fashion, although I could be wrong...

Not much difference at all in technique between my slant and HD. The most important difference is the application of rule number one: Pay Attention! The slant is a great razor, and is wielded like any other, but requires a light touch and your complete attention. Good luck!

+1 The slide creates a shearing of the hairs. There is a motion of the blade crossways as it cuts whereas normally, the blade slices straight through the hair.

Sorry, I have been trying to find the original post, which I thought had photos on this as well, but can't seem to find it. As best as I can explain it, the long horizontal cutting edge of the blade (is there any other?) has to be parallel to the head, and not to the slant bar. It also has to have equal exposure on both sides.

Maybe someone else can explain this better?

Top Bottom