What's new

How to restore that strop that you got on eBay

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I won't claim it's the best method but this worked for me.

I have this vintage Russian strop, it's a nice strop, a few nicks but nothing dramatic. Everything is sanded out. The leather feels like Horsehide but it's a bit stiff. Lucky me, it's not cupping and the leather is not cracked. I tried it for a while but it's too stiff to my liking and compared to my Kanayama strop, it's very stiff!

What can I do? Well, from a country to another, we don't all use the same products but I decided that I was going to wash the leather and then condition it with what I can find locally. I was advised to use saddle soap to clean and neatsfoot oil is best to condition leather. I did not find any neatsfoot oil, unfortunately, but I know there's some in Australia. My leather man shop around the corner has some leather conditioner to restore and protect the leather. I used it on shoes before and the leather was softer, easier to bend and looked nicer.

So I have my clean cloth that I bought at the supermarket, it was around $1.50 for 4 huge squares. I had to cut them smaller as they were too big. I bought a saddle soap off eBay, the seller guarantee it also contain neatsfoot oil.
attachment.php

I will follow the instructions on the back of the box
attachment.php

The Leather conditioner is by an Australian company named Minit.
attachment.php

So, the strop is pretty nice but here it is before the clean-up. I don't have any cracks or anything like that.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Step 1, I wet the piece of cloth and get rid of any excess water. I rubbed the saddle soap on it to create some lather. It doesn't smell that good but I think it would work well if I need it for a shave :001_rolle
attachment.php

I apply the lather and spread it all over the strop making sure I am not scrubbing but lightly rubbing it.
attachment.php

I let it rest for 20 minutes and then rinse my cloth, get rid of any excess water again and wipe off the lather.
attachment.php

I let the strop dry again (another 20 minutes).
attachment.php

Hanging the strop is best I think to let it dry.
attachment.php

I repeated the cleaning with the saddle soap 3 times to be sure I got rid of all the nasty bits stucked on the strop. I cleaned both sides.

I then applied some leather condition on a dry piece of cloth. An almond's worth, maybe a bit more.
attachment.php

I start applying roughly the conditioner, I see that I will have enough
attachment.php

I spread a thin layer of the conditioner evenly on the strop and let it absorb for 20 minutes (that's my magic number).
attachment.php

Again, I repeated the conditioner procedure 3 times on both sides and after the last one, I wiped any excessive conditioner with a piece of dry cloth.

The Leather looks a bit wet still but better
attachment.php

The soap was a bit rougher than I though on the logo, beware of that
attachment.php

Finally, this is how stiff the leather was before I cleaned it and applied the conditioner
attachment.php

and after
attachment.php

It's not as malleable as the Japanese strop but it's much better!

Nice job Luc. Looks like you have been able to bring the strop back to life.

A good place to get neatsfoot oil and other leather based conditioners are shops that sell horseriding related gear. I know that that is hard to find in the city, but if you are near a semi-rural area there are quite a few around.

Luc

Staff member
Nice job Luc. Looks like you have been able to bring the strop back to life.

A good place to get neatsfoot oil and other leather based conditioners are shops that sell horseriding related gear. I know that that is hard to find in the city, but if you are near a semi-rural area there are quite a few around.

Yes, I don't hang out with horses very often so I didn't get any neatsfoot oil but you are right on where it's available!

Looks like new, i now know where to send mine:lol:

:lol: You can pay me in straight razors, I'm happy with that :lol:

Luc -

If you go to the Rolls Razor entry in our wiki, you'll find some recommended resources in the Appendix (last paragraph of the entry). Fromm's is a very good traditional strop dressing. However, I especially like the 100% pure Vitamin E oil.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
Great write up Luc. I actually picked up that very same Russian Strop on Ebay for cheap ($15 I think), though mine had no label and was cupping a little.

I fixed her up by lathering it with palmolive and rolling the strop flat with a wine bottle. Took several treatments, but I got it mostly flat and it is useable now.

Finished it off with a saddle soap treatment (would have used this first, but picked it later on). Then I did a Mink Oil treatment as I had no neatsfoot oil. Washed the linen in the washer and hung dry and cleaned the metal assembly with steel wool and ...gasp....scrubbing bubbles :lol:

After reassembly I now have a more supple and straight strop, with the linen basically coming out white. It looks like it has hardly ever been used.

Granted it doesn't get much use these days as I defect to Ambrose's Corto most of the time, but it was a fun experience and I use it occasionally for that different draw feeling.

Luc

Staff member
Note about scrubbing the leather with saddle soap:

DON'T DO IT!!!

+1 on rubbing it very lightly.
I ruined a vintage DD cordovan because I scrubbed it vigorously.:mad3:
Lucky I have two.:001_rolle

Note about scrubbing the leather with saddle soap:

DON'T DO IT!!!

+1 on rubbing it very lightly.
I ruined a vintage DD cordovan because I scrubbed it vigorously.:mad3:
Lucky I have two.:001_rolle

I have yet to ever see leather ruined by using saddle soap on it.... yes it will darken it but it will not ruin the leather. As luc pointed out you must take great care cleaning around the label as any cleaning in that area will tend to remove the label. Suede type leathers should not be cleaned with saddle soap but any of the smooth finished leathers should be fine.

Saddle soap should always be applied using a soft linen cloth then wiped away using another soft clean dry linen cloth. after cleaning you should then apply a good quality strop conditioner.

Thanks Luc,
You have given me some ideas on how to look after four Aussie made strops I picked up on Ebay today.
A visit to the local saddlery seems to be in order.
What is the fundamental difference between using Neatsfoot oil and leather restorer after cleaning with saddle soap?
I am amazed how much info I can get on this site to understand any aspect of this hobby.

Thanks

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc,
You have given me some ideas on how to look after four Aussie made strops I picked up on Ebay today.
A visit to the local saddlery seems to be in order.
What is the fundamental difference between using Neatsfoot oil and leather restorer after cleaning with saddle soap?
I am amazed how much info I can get on this site to understand any aspect of this hobby.

Thanks

I never used the oil but my understanding would be that the oil would condition the leather very well!

Great job and very nice photo spread. I used a similar method to restore an old shell strop I found and it worked just fine. I do have a quart bottle of neetsfoot oil. It is quite thick and must be applied sparingly, but evenly. Leather conditioner is easier to use and works very well. But, if anyone is desperate to try neetsfoot, please PM me.

Luc, Good job. I glad you took photos as I can purchase a Russian strop near me with that emblem and lettering on it. Could be the same strop. Its more used than yours but looks the same. You think its horse hide.? If I purchase it I'll have to do the same sort of thing to it. Will you put any slurry on it ?Thanks for the info.. Possum

Top Bottom