What's new

How to Remove Silicone?

I’m planning on removing a knot that I set with a lot of silicone from a nice Grizzly Bay resin handle. Beneath the knot are 3 quarters also set with a fair amount of silicone. Assuming I can get the knot out by using hot water and pulling it out, what is the best way to get the quarters out and remove any extra silicone. The silicone should be well cured by now.

Soooo it looks like I used Liquid Nails Silicone. Is that not what I thought it was in terms of being easy to remove. I can't budge the knot.

I've been successful using the steam method 3 or 4 times in the past. It usually took 20-30min on average to loosen whatever was used to install the knot and I never had any handle damage. I think the last 2 knots I steamed out I was able to just use a paper towel after removing the knot and wiped the excess residue out of the socket and there was no scraping or need to use the Dremel to clean up the socket...

I have removed knots where I have used silicone but I have one knot where I used a little more than I probably should have used and my normal hot water routine did not work. I reached out to Maggard Razors since it is their resin handle that I want to save.

They replied with this YouTube video as an option:
How to remove the knot from a shaving brush - Steam Method

I plan to try it out when I get some free time.

Thanks for sharing this. I haven't seen this video before and I like the tweaks he has done to the steam method. Now I am trying to decide between the steam method and getting a Dremel. My handle has a token on the bottom, but I suppose if it comes off I can epoxy it back on. That might still be the better way to go instead of testing my untested Dremel skills on a nice handle.

Soooo it looks like I used Liquid Nails Silicone. Is that not what I thought it was in terms of being easy to remove.
Liquid Nails is not silicone so that is going to be tough to break that bond to the handle. Steam may work to get the knot out but a dremel tool will probably be your best bet for the raised base.

Liquid Nails is not silicone so that is going to be tough to break that bond to the handle. Steam may work to get the knot out but a dremel tool will probably be your best bet for the raised base.
Actually Liquid Nails carries both, sealant and sealant adhesive...
1648305702143.png

1648305826115.png

**Face Palm** I used the sealant adhesive.

On that note I guess it explains my success rate in not having any knots fall out :). I'll try and use a Dremel to take it out. Unfortunately, I put quarters under the knot because I didn't have any plastic washers so I don't think I can use a Forstner. This might be one that gets sent to @Rudy Vey for reknotting.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
On that note I guess it explains my success rate in not having any knots fall out :). I'll try and use a Dremel to take it out. Unfortunately, I put quarters under the knot because I didn't have any plastic washers so I don't think I can use a Forstner. This might be one that gets sent to @Rudy Vey for reknotting.
Quarters under a knot is the worst case scenario for a Forstner bit, guess how I know.....I never use coins, washers or anything else made from metal under a knot. Cork slices make the best shims. Just have a bottle of wine...

I decided to jump into the deep end and use this as an excuse to jump down another rabbit hole. I bought a Dremel 4000 (corded) with assorted accessories that included a carbide cutting kit, sanders and the Dremel 115 cutting / carving bit.

I wore an N95, eye protection and gloves for the whole thing.

I inexpertly lopped off the Maggards Plisson synth fiber, but couldn't get it very close to the brush socket. I then tried to drill a hole into the remaining knot with the Dremel and the fiber repelled it like armor. I was able to get some traction with a pointy conical carbide bit and made a few holes in the center until I could get a 115 in there and clear out more of the fiber and knot base.

Then I decided to try a heat gun for 15-20 seconds in a very well ventilated area (garage bay - door fully open). It melted down the remaining fiber and loosened the Liquid Nails Adhesive Silicone. When I grabbed the remaining knot with a needle nose pliers I noticed some movement. I used the heat gun two more times and I was able to pull the entire knot out.

I then used the heat gun for a few more seconds on the quarters and was able to get them up with a flat head screwdriver. The remaining silicone adhesive was rubbery like rubber cement. I used a scratch awl, flathead screwdriver and Dremel sander to get it out. It was so rubbery that I'm not sure the Dremel sander really did anything except spread it around.

Was this a perfect job? No. I wasn't able to put masking tape on the rim until after the knot was out. When I tried the drill bit in the beginning it skipped and dinged the rim of the brush. I can feel a couple of dings at the rim, but I have to try very hard to find them by touch in the right light and they won't be noticeable at all when a new knot is in there.

Top Bottom