What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

Tip: Buy soup (or whatever) that doesn't have any bits in or you'll never get them out of the slot and the blade bank will pong lots after a while...

Is a guy with the handle SepticTank complaining about bad smelling blade banks?:lol:

Another thought: if you want the can to drain faster, and be able to rinse it out a bit, put a small hole on the bottom side of the can as you are draining. As long as the hole is smaller than a blade there won't be any chance of blades slipping out. Cool thread Ray, thanks for sharing!

I made a blade bank out of an empty can of olive oil and a ginsu knife (still cuts tomatoes!). I think I will never need to change the bank, it's huge!

Easy, go to Topps market on 322 and grab some brooth cans....
I'll be in next week and we'll make soup......:lol:

Hey wait, don't you need a razor and dead blades first??????

Easy, go to Topps market on 322 and grab some brooth cans....
I'll be in next week and we'll make soup......:lol:

Hey wait, don't you need a razor and dead blades first??????

ummmm, maybe, but im sure with my beard and head, i'll have alot of dead blades quickly... lol

as for the razor...im doin my research now :lol:

I cut a hole in the plastic top of an empty planters peanut can. It's not only cheap, it's reusable since the top comes off to empty which I figure will be once a century.

I'm a fan of using soup cans for blade banks as well because they're cheap, safe, and easy to recycle. I actually have an homage to Warhol in my bathroom as I chose to use a can of Campbell's soup, which has resulted in some quizzical looks from people as they emerge from my bathroom.

I still like the glass jar idea with a screw lid.

1) Glass won't leave rust spots on your counter.

2) If it's clear, you can see how full it is.

3) You don't have to cut a slit into the lid, just unscrew lid to place used blades in container.

4) Sure glass might break if dropped, but that can happen to ceramic shaving bowls, scuttles and drinking glasses that are commonly found in bathrooms. If worried about breaking glass blade banks, just store in another room, away from bathroom. Used glass jars are very cheap and recyclable too.

I cut a hole in the plastic top of an empty planters peanut can. It's not only cheap, it's reusable since the top comes off to empty which I figure will be once a century.

Where do you empty the blades to? :blink: Doesn't that defeat the purpose? :huh:

Third Eye,

This is a very timely thread. My Altoids tin is really beginning to max out. (Even though you are able open it freely now, when I throw it away, I'm going to seal it up real good with the wide packing tape.)

I was just wondering if you couldn't you damage the blade by using it like that? :001_huh:

Won't it still be wet inside from the remaining drops of broth?

How do you make sure it is absolutely dry from inside before beginning to use it?

Remember it is going to stay indoors - maybe even inside a dark cabinet before you throw it away a year or two later with I don't know maybe 200 rusting blades inside it? Plus, the few drops of broth inside may even grow bacteria, mold, who knows what else.

So once again, is there a way of ensuring it is absolutely dry before putting it to use?

How do you make sure it is absolutely dry from inside before beginning to use it?

Remember it is going to stay indoors - maybe even inside a dark cabinet before you throw it away a year or two later with I don't know maybe 200 rusting blades inside it? Plus, the few drops of broth inside may even grow bacteria, mold, who knows what else.

So once again, is there a way of ensuring it is absolutely dry before putting it to use?

Place it in the oven on a baking stone for 2 hours at 350. Take out, slice and serve with mashed ...:redface:

Just put it in the oven for a bit. And punch a few holes in the bottom.

I still like the glass jar idea with a screw lid.

1) Glass won't leave rust spots on your counter.

2) If it's clear, you can see how full it is.

3) You don't have to cut a slit into the lid, just unscrew lid to place used blades in container.

4) Sure glass might break if dropped, but that can happen to ceramic shaving bowls, scuttles and drinking glasses that are commonly found in bathrooms. If worried about breaking glass blade banks, just store in another room, away from bathroom. Used glass jars are very cheap and recyclable too.

Once the can is painted it will not leave rust spots.
Sure you can unscrew the lid, so can many little children unscrew lids????
I don't need to see if it's full. If I can't put any more blades in, guess what?...It's full, through it in the recycle bin.
Personally I'd rather not tramp around my house with a blade in my hand, I'd rather have the blade bank where I need it.

Feel free to use your glass jar, I'd rather be safe than sorry, why take a chance for a 33 cents.

I rinsed mine then shook it out. Leve it sit for a day or two, better yet, stick it in the oven for a few minutes as someone suggested, it will dry.

Top Bottom