What's new

How to determine coat size?

Shopping around for a Peacoat, and I have looked over the Peacoat threads for reference. Anyway, I seem to be a bit between sizes, small is pushing it, and a medium has no shape on me. I was thinking of a vintage one, since the ones I've seen are listed in actual sizes such as 36R, 38L, etc. My hope is that it would have a bit more shape than a generic small, medium, large, etc.
So to my question, how to determine size? Do I just measure my chest at the largest area and order the coat of the the corresponding number? I read somewhere that you would actually order a bit larger than your actual chest size- for example, if you measure 36" order a 38 jacket.
I will be ordering sight unseen, and am not sure about returns, so I want to be sure to get it right the first time...
Appreciate any help here-
Wayne

Schott still makes them in coat sizes (36 to 56 IIRC) and Long sizes too.
schottnyc.com
Their Perfecto brand has higher end stuff if you want something special.
I wear a 46L sportcoat and have a 46L Peacoat. But I don't wear thick sweaters. If you do order one size up. You have the right idea on measuring.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You can raise your arms slightly and have someone measure around just under your arms, making sure to cross over the shoulder blades and the fullest part of the chest. Coat size is equal to your chest size (for example, if your chest is 38 inches, your coat should be a size 38 regular, tall, short or big, depending on your height.
Then put your arms down and measure around your chest and fullest part of your arms at the most prominent part of the bicep. If this measurement is 7 or more inches larger than your chest measurement, get the next larger size coat to keep from binding the upper arm and shoulder area.

Generally;
Short is someone who is 5 feet, 3 inches tall to 5 feet, 7.5 inches tall.
Regular is usually someone that’s 5 feet, 8 inches tall to 6 feet, 1/2 inch tall.
Tall is someone who is between 6 feet, 1 inch and 6 feet, 3 inches tall.
Big is someone with a less athletic profile between 5 feet, 8 inches tall and 6 feet, 1/2 inch tall.

However, this may not be correct if you are disproportionately sized from ankle to waist as compared to waist to shoulders.

If you want something to be more fitting then a vintage coat may not be the way to go. They tend to be a bit boxy in order to fit a sweater underneath. They were originaly made to be a working jacket, so may not be as form fitting as you want.

Schott still makes them in coat sizes (36 to 56 IIRC) and Long sizes too.
schottnyc.com
Their Perfecto brand has higher end stuff if you want something special.
I wear a 46L sportcoat and have a 46L Peacoat. But I don't wear thick sweaters. If you do order one size up. You have the right idea on measuring.

Schott makes a very fine coat from what I hear. They also make a trimmer fit coat, you could give them a call and ask them to measure pit to pit and the waist or a regular coat and a trim one to see how it would fit.

The easiest way would be to measure around the widest part of your chest in inches. For example if your chest is 40 inches around you'd be a size 40.

The easiest way would be to measure around the widest part of your chest in inches. For example if your chest is 40 inches around you'd be a size 40.

I would double check that. Believe if your chest measures 40 inches, you are around a 44 in size. See above.

I would double check that. Believe if your chest measures 40 inches, you are around a 44 in size. See above.

Yeah everyone fits differently. I'm one of those guys with a 42 inch chest and I can wear anything from 38-44...depends on the garment. That's why I never buy a jacket without trying it on first.

Yeah everyone fits differently. I'm one of those guys with a 42 inch chest and I can wear anything from 38-44...depends on the garment. That's why I never buy a jacket without trying it on first.

I am with you!! Garments vary a lot. Best idea is to try it on first. Thanks for pointing that out to the OP! What I use the guidelines above for is to ask sellers on ebay to provide the measurements outlined, then I match them to what I have pre-measured a well-fitting garment to me to be.

I'm a 50-52 coat size, though what gets me usually is some manufactures have ape arm lengths in those sizes, (Lands End, i'm talking about you!)

Top Bottom