What's new

How skilled are you?

How long have you been using a straight and which hand do you shave with?

• Straight <6 mos, Left handed only.

• Straight <6 mos, Right handed only.

• Straight <6 mos, Ampidexterous.

• Straight >6 mos, Left handed only.

• Straight >6 mos, Right handed only.

• Straight >6 mos, Ampidexterous.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can switch hands without missing a stroke...

proxy.php

What does that have to do with shaving? :confused:

What does that have to do with shaving? :confused:

Either you have a dirty mind, or you are confused at the picture.

Bill is just showing off his super hero outfit.

Bill Ellis,
Able to rend raw steel into things of beauty with his bare hands
A shaving virtuoso with unparalleled hand switching ability.
Girlie-man killer.

I use both hands during my shaves. I see myself as being a clumsy shaver since I admire anybody who can just use one hand for a straight razor shave.
Right hand for right side of face, left hand for the lefft side. Then right hand for the left edges of my moustache and left hand for the right edges of my moustache.
Does that make sense? :tongue_sm
Ernest

PS: My favorite razor and first good razor is a round point sold to me by Bill Ellis. He's the man.

I started using my right and nobody told me to do differently until 20 years later. I am not real hot on relearning with my off hand.

I started experimenting with my left hand after 28 years using only my right. It's awkward at first but you get over it in about ten shaves. It solved one problem I had, which is that, while my shaves are BBS, the shave on the left side of my neck (right hand) lasted longer than the shave on the right side of my neck (right hand). Now that I shave the right side of neck with the left hand, the shaves on both sides last equally long.

Right handed mostly.

I use my left hand a bit, but for tricky areas I always go with the dominant digits.

Great shaves abound with this method, so I doubt I'll be messing with it much anytime soon.

Well, I'm not sure my answer says anything about skill. I shave with both hands, favoring the right where either hand would do (e.g. chin) but I am pretty bad at using my left and that is mostly where I get nicks or leave stubble.

I use both hands although my non dominate hand is still a little uncoordinated but acceptable. Just slower and more passes. Getting better though.

I use both hands during my shaves. I see myself as being a clumsy shaver since I admire anybody who can just use one hand for a straight razor shave.
Right hand for right side of face, left hand for the lefft side. Then right hand for the left edges of my moustache and left hand for the right edges of my moustache.
Does that make sense? :tongue_sm
Ernest

PS: My favorite razor and first good razor is a round point sold to me by Bill Ellis. He's the man.

Interesting. I'm jealous of people who can use both hands, as I just go all over with the right... I'm getting DFS on an almost daily basis though, with a BBS thrown in here and there :biggrin:

Follow up: Is there any real benefit in using both hands if you can shave well with just one? I mean, my right hand has always been particularly skilled (insert barrage of jokes) and my hand-eye coordination is usually pretty good. Should I just continue on with the right?

Follow up: Is there any real benefit in using both hands if you can shave well with just one? I mean, my right hand has always been particularly skilled (insert barrage of jokes) and my hand-eye coordination is usually pretty good. Should I just continue on with the right?

I was born left handed until the nuns at school decided it was better I be right handed. I used to play drums for many years lending to some ambidexterity (hope I spelled it right this time). I occasionally strop or lather with my left also.

Anyway point of this tangent is I've only ever shaved with my right and am still not considering switching. I've never much been one for what is proper and have a general disregard for any rules that don't affect anybody other than me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sure, I'm going to keep on shaving with my right. It makes no odds really.

Been using a straight on a weekend only for only a couple months.

Using both hands, but definitely more confident with my right.:001_smile

Top Bottom