What's new

How many passes is too much? Had about 5-6 my first attempt.

Two careful passes and a touch-up is about it for me. I'm an old goat, so my skin couldn't take 5-6 passes. My first pass is pretty much standard, with the grain. On my second pass, I use more lather and map out with my fingertips exactly where I need to concentrate. Then I feel around for the places, usually my neck, sometime chin or jaw-line, where I need one more pass. I try to make sure I don't goober and over one place. I try never to shave over lather-less skin. When I miss a little, no matter; tomorrow is another day. BTW, I get a BBS probably 90-95% of the time, and I don't chase it.

Welcome to the forum! My routine is to do 2 full passes. One pass with the grain, one pass against the grain. Then a touch up to problem areas if needed. Any more than that I will get razor burn , and/or weepers. Everyone's beard is different. Take your time and figure out what works best for you.

I refuse to do more than 3. If I just want to knock the stubble down, then 2. As much as I now enjoy shaving, I still have a job to get to in time.

I like having no stubble. That said, I've found that using wool fat soap essentially eliminates irritation (on my face, at any rate), so an extra pass or two across the grain doesn't seem to hurt. But essentially I'm a 2-3 pass shaver. Especially if I'm using a lesser soap/cream.

To each their own TBH.. I only do 3 passes, 1 with the grain, 1 across the grain, and my clean up pass is just spot shaving. I never go against the grain.. That's been working for me for the last 9 months, and I follow a golden rule. I never shave with the intention of going BBS. I shave to diminish my facial hair to wear its clean, neat, and presentable. Once when I tried to force the baby butt smooth shave, I did too many passes and have myself a hell of a razor burn on my neck, coupled with nicks on my chin and cheeks. 3 passes I would say is the maximum necessary for any shaver

I am a noob, but after watching hours of youtube, I first oil and then it set in, then i do WTG, ATG , and then XTG, then i do touch ups and get a BSS almost everytime.. Between passes i relather, and take my time, with razorrock, then Speiks, then balm, i have never had a razor burn. I think the key is to stay hydrated on the shaving region without too much pressure and i change my feathers every 2-3 days.

... It was more like 2-3 passes with 2-3 touch ups. But how many touch ups are too much? And what exactly does an official touch up entail?
Ay, and there's the rub. ;-) I suggest that you focus on pass 1, really try to find the direction of growth everywhere, and stick to it. Touch ups are feeling out the rough spots with wet fingertips, then following with a razor stroke in the same direction. Try not even running your fingers against the growth. You will enjoy an even, comfortable shave more than an attempted BBS, without at all impairing your progress toward that end. You will also gain the freedom to take as many passes as you want, and shave again the next day without repeated injury.

Efficiency hinges in large part upon learning the grain of your beard.

Top Bottom