What's new

How many months or years of soap do you have?

My inventory isn't that large by B&B standards, but I have to believe I'm set for a few years, and I typically shave 90 days out of 100.
Even sticks just last and last.

I'm not going to count my La Toja stick since it stays in my travel kit. Nevertheless, I'd say I have 2 years worth of 5-7 days of shaving weekly, and there is no way I'll get anywhere close to running out before I try some new soaps.

I shave every day, and I went on a soap buying kick after starting DE shaving a few months ago. I've gotten the Soap Acquisition Disorder under control for now, but not before stockpiling about 5 years worth of different soaps.

I have 2 relatively new Stirling refills and 1 PAA on the way. I shave every day. I'm sure that some B&B members would consider that a critically low supply. I figure I'm good for at least 3 months.

Typically, I keep about a year's worth. I keep/create about 4-6 sets(pairings) and rotate until they are near exhausted and then go shopping again.

e.g.

CaD Soap- CaD A/S (paired, set)
Proraso Blue Soap-Grey Flannel A/S- GF Cologne (licorice, violet)
Pre de Provence soap-Pre de Provence A/S (sage, set)
XXX soap- XXX A/S-CKONE cologne (oakmoss)
Tiki Bon Voyage-Le Pere A/S-Paco Rabanne EDT (lavender, rosemary)

I look for similar basenotes and create the pairings from there or just buy sets. Working on and finding good pairings can get expensive so as I get older I am favoring the matched sets.

I have two or three pucks of 'fancy' heavily scented soaps I'm not overly keen on and I can't really use on a regular basis without irritation. Daily driver soaps I'm almost all out, there might be a stick of Palmolive hiding in the cupboard. My plan is to finish off the little I have left of daily drivers before picking up something else.

I dove into this craziness just over a year ago. I got a jar of Proraso white with my Maggard starter kit. Shortly after that I picked up one of their sample soap packs and a crock of MWF. I only shave twice a week, at most, with 2-3 passes. Loading my brush for no more than 10 seconds gives me more than enough soapy lather than I can possibly use.

I've used the MWF for about 75% of my shaves. The puck shows little evidence of use. The Proraso has started to show a bit of a well in the jar. I've nearly finished with the Orange Menthol sample (the only one I've tried) by adding it for scent once in a while.

At this rate, I'll be finishing my original 2 soap purchases some time in the next 5 years or so. I've also not bought any blades since my initial starter pack and receiving a wonderful PIF of Feathers. I've just about emptied my initial bottle of Nivea after shave balm. Along the way I picked up a pair of Gillette Slims as my regular users and a wonderfully soft brush from Larry at Whipped Dog.

One of the main reasons I wanted to try DE shaving was to get around the disposable culture of my shaving routine...saving a good bit of cash along the way has been a nice bonus. For me, DE shaving isn't a hobby, just a routine necessity of maintaining my personal appearance. I think I'm set on supplies for a good, long while. :-} Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Jay

If a soap tub/puck or tube lasts about three months...and I have 20 "soaps"...then I am good for 60 months....5 years. Wow...even I find that hard to believe.

Late edit: One of those soaps is MdC...so make that 6 years.

Last edited:
the past year i havent bought any new soaps...been trying to use up what i have before i rebuy some. i finished a red tub cella, palmolive stick, arko stick, seifenglatt almond stick and a strop shoppe black tie tub.

now i am working on panna crema next...i have years worth of soap lying around here.

Sort of cheating when you make your own by the pound [MENTION=93996]DCRIII[/MENTION] :laugh: or are you just counting the commercial soap that you own?

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying! I'm going to make someone soon. Just found a supplier of a couple fragrances I've been looking for.
But seriously though, if I counted commercially bought soap, I have a lifetimes worth. I have over 30 pucks of Williams Mug soap that I don't use very often. I might use it once a month.
On top of that I just got one tin of Artic Hydra and one tub of Cryogen, had three pucks of Tabac show up yesterday, I have two tins of Yeti Snot arriving Monday. Also I'll have some relatives from Germany visiting in October whom I ask to bring me three more pucks of Tabac if they were able to find some where they live.
I don't have SAD I swear! :lol:

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying! I'm going to make someone soon. Just found a supplier of a couple fragrances I've been looking for.
But seriously though, if I counted commercially bought soap, I have a lifetimes worth. I have over 30 pucks of Williams Mug soap that I don't use very often. I might use it once a month.
On top of that I just got one tin of Artic Hydra and one tub of Cryogen, had three pucks of Tabac show up yesterday, I have two tins of Yeti Snot arriving Monday. Also I'll have some relatives from Germany visiting in October whom I ask to bring me three more pucks of Tabac if they were able to find some where they live.
I don't have SAD I swear! [emoji38]
It's a great comfort for a weary soul to know that there are those that are far worse off than one self. From your posts I consider you to be a very balanced gentleman so I take it that my heap of soap, that's smaller than yours, isn't a sign of me gone bananas. [emoji12]

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

Top Bottom