What's new

How many days does a blade last?

It seems most people measure blade life in "shaves", and what constitutes a "shave" may vary. For me it is 2 or 3 passes and a lot of XTG/ATG buffing. Each shave, I turn the die (singular of dice) and almost never go past the 6-count. I have a good feeling with some reputably long-lasting blades such as Perma-Sharp and PolSilver but I have not put them to any extended test. In cartridge days I dragged out cart life since it was such an expense to get them at the store. By going to DE I figured I could keep fresh blades on the cheap, so I avoid the tug of dull blades.

I shave using Feather blades, I shave my face as well as my head every morning, recently with a Merkur slant bar (I love the slant bar!), how many days should I get out of a blade? I've been pushing six but I am wondering how often other people change there blades? Thanks Ian

Your blades will last until they are worn out. How long is before they start to drag when they get dull. The more drag the duller they are.

I don't rotate a lot blades. Ny go to blades are: Feather, Med Preps, Perma Sharp Supers, Bolzano, and Voskhod. Feathers, I can only get 2 really awesome shaves (3 pass) and they're tossed. The others mentioned, 4-5. So, (1) blade per week for me barring the Feathers. Have to say though, for how good Feather Blades are coming out of the chute, will always keep a few hundred around along the abovementioned since IMO-believe I have all I need and the quality of these are fantastic.

YMMV, so you could rephrase the question "How many days does a blade last" as "How long is a piece of string" !! lol
Some blades in my rotation last longer than others, but ironically most of the ones that I only get 3 shaves with have the lowest cost/shave...............
* Rating Value For Money - Average 4 Shaves - Average Cost/100 - Cost/Shave
* Personna (Spain) - €24/100 - 6c/shave
** Feather - €20/100 - 5c/shave
*** Wilkinson Sword Classic - €16/100 - 4c/shave
**** Bic Chrome Platinum - €12/100 - 3c/shave
**** Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (India) - €12/100 - 3c/shave

+ Rating = Value For Money - Average 3 Shaves - Cost/100 - Cost/Shave
* PermaSharp (Russia) - €15/100 - 5c/shave
* Gillette Nacet - €15/100 - 5c/shave
** Rainbow - €12/100 - 4c/shave
*** Astra Platinum - €9/100 - 3c/shave
*** Centwin Super Platinum - €9/100 - 3c/shave
**** Shark Stainless - €7,50/100 - 2.5c/shave
**** Rapira Super Stainless/Rapira Platinum Lux/Rapira Swedish Supersteel/Voskhod/Ladas :
After combined shipping discount on 300 assorted blades - €7,50/100 - 2.5c/shave
***** Rapira Stainless - < €6/100 - < 2c/shave !!

My Go-To Blades are, unsurprisingly Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, Bic Chrome Platinum & Rapira Stainless

25 BBS shaves and counting on an Astra SP so far. I took a Gillette Silver Blue to 31 in the February Challenge, but it looks like the Astra SP is going to last longer.

I shave my head and face every session, including two passes. My head is pretty forgiving but my facial hair is really thick and dense. Blades do not last very long for me in general. Unlike a cartridge, I prefer not having to put extra pressure on the razor, once the blade stops gliding and starts pulling on my hair, I toss them.
I have been playing around with different blades over the past couple of months trying to find a good match. The following has been my finding:

Astra Superior Platinum – 3 shaves
Treet Silver – 1 Shave
Treet Carbon Steel – 1 Shave
Bolzano Superinox – 2 Shaves
Lord Super – Not even one shave before it started to tug and pull
Gillette 7 Super Stainless – 4 Shaves
Gillette Nacet – 3 Shaves
Personna Med Prep – 4 Shaves
Rapira Stainless Chrome – 1 Shave
Vokshod Teflon – 2 Shaves

I still have a lot of other samples to get through; I am currently using Polsiliver Super Iridum. My favourite have been the Med Preps and Gillette 7, they were amazing throughout all the shaves.

This is truly a complex question.. I'll try to give a simple answer and that is once a week unless needed sooner. The variables of blade (manufacturer), razor (design and adjustability), time of year (I find my beard heavier at different times), and a myriad of other variables complicate the answer. I like the simplicity of changing my blade every Saturday or Sunday and avoiding the end-of-blade-life bad shave.

+1. This is essentially my approach. I generally change blades Saturday AM, unless a blade proves unusable before then. My top blade choices could often go longer, but I prefer to start the weekend with a new blade!

I must be a weirdo then, since I got 22 shaves out of my very first DE blade, an Astra SP. Got six on one edge of a Derby before I couldn't stand it any more, although it was still giving a close shave.

Use them till they quit working for you.

Peter

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have been known to toss a blade mid-shave; what I mean is I use em til I get a bad shave. And I use about 5? different razors in my rotation, each with a different blade, usually.
Probably average about 4 or 5 shaves a blade, tho.

Depends on your beard, how you prep for shaving, and your technique. I got 22 shaves on my first blade, typically three pass ones, although I've gotten down to two with some touchups. The next one lasted six shaves, although I could have gotten 12 since I'd not used the other edge yet, but it was a Derby and too uncomfortable for me.

The blades themselves can be usable much longer than most people use them, but it's really a matter of when they stop working for you.

Peter

I get 7 shaves (one a day), usually using an Astra SP or Feather.

I change my blade every Saturday whether it needs it or not.

Top Bottom