What's new

How Long Have You Been Shaving With a Straight & How Long Does It Take You To Shave?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
3 years. I can do a quick job in about 10 minutes start to finish. I usually like to take 20-30 minutes though and give myself adequate time to enjoy the shave.

I usually take 20-30 minutes, depending on how many passes I end up doing, the actual pass usually takes me 5-8 minutes, including stropping and lathering.

I've been straight shaving since 06, still getting better as time goes by. Mostly don't care too much about getting the 'perfect' shave, so I tend to stick to a two pass shave, trying for a DFS

And why rush shaving? it's too enjoyable to speed through

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been fooling around with straight razors for a year or so and been using the straights only for the better part of three weeks. I'm a tad slower making my passes with the straight and was wondering how much more time it was taking me.
I can say that at my speed stropping I can do 100 laps on the canvas and 100 on the leather in 3 minutes. I'm not the fastest at this and don't aspire to be but I'm not too much of a slowpoke either.
I'm in an out of the washroom in 17 minutes when I timed it. I tried to make sure I was not rushing and did three passes (cross, cross, and against). I think the incremental time between DE and Straight is about 3 minutes. I have a goatee . . . if I shaved this area I figure it would add maybe a couple of minutes. I do shave the top of my head . . . I've not tried it with the straight yet.
As some others here mention combining steps speeds things up. Brush teeth while waiting for the hot water to find its way from the basement to the sink on the second floor. Soak brush while showering. Put lather on face and let it kinda work its magic for 2 minutes while stropping.

Off and on for the past year, consistently only for about 4 months.

Weekday shave 5-10 minutes (today was 8 minutes)
Weekends I take my time and it takes 15-20 minutes.

umm.. over a year now.

This morning the wife noticed that it took me 20 minutes.

That is washing my face, lathering, stropping, re-lathering. Then WTG,ATG, 2 clean up passes on jawline/neck. And cleanup/post

Checked again! 17 minutes, this includes:

-lather
-strop razor, 50 on horse hide
-2 pass shave XTG/ATG
-clean-up; dry brush, wipe counter
-rinse face, apply after shave balm
-strop razor, with 50 on cotton, 50 on red latigo

About four years.

The shave itself doesn't take very long if the blade is nice and sharp, less than ten minutes I believe. I recently honed up one of my Livi/Takeda's so I'll try to time it tomorrow. But it's been slowly dropping for years now, IIRC it was taking about 18 mins after about a year, then 12-15 after about two yrs.. Somewhere there's a video (youtube probably) of Lynn Abrams shaving and the whole thing (intro, stropping, lathering, two passes, and cleanup, interspersed with running commentary) is something like 9 minutes of continuous video, and he never hurried. But Lynn's been doing this for 20+ years, so I've got aways to go.

Edit: Timed it this morning. A bit under 5 mins for the shave itself. Total time in and out was just under 10 mins.

But Lynn has a moustache - which shaving area may be the trickiest part of the face to de-whisker, so for those of us who do a full face shave, it should take a bit more time, particularly if one is training to negotiate the fool's pass.

3 shaves wit a straight about 10 min for the shave and 10 for the lather......Its fun sometimes i just like to sit and take my time admire how badass i look with the straight on my face!

I've been straight razor shaving for about 4 months. My routine takes 25-30 minutes total. That includes a shower, shave, clean-up, deoderant, hair, and getting dressed. I do two passes, WTG and ATG. I can go faster, but the last time I did that, I shave biopsied my chin. :biggrin1:

But Lynn has a moustache - which shaving area may be the trickiest part of the face to de-whisker, so for those of us who do a full face shave, it should take a bit more time, particularly if one is training to negotiate the fool's pass.

Actually for me the moustache area is the easiest part of my face to shave with a straight, even easier than the cheeks. One pass from the outsides into the middle, then the coup de maitre and it's done (gotta have a sharp razor to keep it from pulling though). Different strokes for different folks, because it's the hardest area to shave with a DE, M3 and Fusion razors. Though I was hoping when I bought Lynn's DVD that the shaving chapter would have him shaving of his moustache :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm curious to know just what the title of the thread says:

• How long have you been shaving with a straight?
  • How long does your typical straight shave take now?
I've been shaving with straights since November of last year, and while the shaves have gotten better, the time has so far stayed the same: about forty minutes for three passes.

Last I looked Klarion is under ten minutes! :blink: Not sure where Luc is.

Also, be curious to know from those with more than a few years behind them (e.g., professorchaos, richmondesi, leighton, etc) how long it took them to shave when they were starting out.

Thanks!

I started in July 2009 and shaved on week-end only. I progressively added a straight shave during the week. I am now shaving with a straight exclusively for the past 3 weeks (I even removed the blade in my DE).

My routine in the morning is to get up, pick the clothes that I'll wear. Go to the toilet, pick the gear, shower/prep, lather, 3 passes shaves, AS, clean-up, get dressed, turn on computer and make a coffee. I have a clock there so I know where I'm at while I fill the coffee machine. So usually, bed to coffee machine, around 25 mins. It used to be 45 mins. I had one super session of 75 mins (no idea what happened there).

If I take the shave itself or just the 3 passes. Shave must be 15 minutes, just the 3 passes, 10 minutes now.

I must mention that I pre-strop all my razors before the shave. I usually use a few of them and I then have a stropping session.

OOh, we got a mention! Looking at my first "shaving" post, I started September 26, 2009, which makes it just a little over 4 months.

My shave this morning took 16 minutes. That time runs from when I first dipped my brush into my tub of soap, rinsing my face off and applying after shave, to when I finished stropping after my shave. Judging by how I nicked one of my horsehide strops the other day (okay, so it was a chunk), I'd say the quality of shaving technique is better than my stropping. Strops don't heal, darn it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6 months with straights exclusively and on and off about 2 years but wet shaving for 7 years.

To go back to a previous post on a past thread about stropping or honing for relaxation, I strop my razors in the evening to blow off some steam and make sure incase I oversleep or run late that my razors are ready to go.

Shaving itself is 20 minutes top. I do my three S's and walk out the door in under an hour. I do 4 passes but use slice/guillotine passes so that's where the extra time go's.

I'm definitely an outlier in this group. I've been straight shaving about a year. I shave every day, but only use a straight about half the time. Still do SE and DE shaves the other half.

It takes me an hour. Always has. The difference over time is that the shaves have gotten better. I learn something almost every day, experiment with this and that, think about what I'm doing. It's a Zen-tantric thing for me. I've never dropped a razor or done any real damage, except once with a spike point early on, resulting in a faint one-inch scar on my right cheek that (I fantasize) is dead sexy. Maybe the time I take has contributed to that.

Anyway, if it took 15 minutes I would mourn the other 45 I lost. I'm pretty OCD, have a demanding job, a family, and schedules and deadlines are everywhere. That hour is my time and I treasure it.

Top Bottom