What's new

How I Hone A Smiling Razor (Videos)

Mark, I think we should start a honing sticky.

Alex, did you forget you were gonna be on camera, you forgot to shave. :lol:

Alex, did you forget you were gonna be on camera, you forgot to shave. :lol:

Hah- I thought about that! Truth is- I'm one of those guys who only shaves when I need to. If I didn't ever have to shave (and wouldn't grow a beard!), I probably wouldn't. I like all of the other things about razors themselves and the things related to them more than the shaving itself.

Big thanks for the video, very good indeed. Its good to see that im not the only one who uses two hand to guide the razor so it sits good on the hone. BTW that scope you used, what was it?

Thanks Alex! That's great stuff to see so folks can learn several methods and also that you CAN have a minimal hone set up:lol:

I've never honed a smiling razor and pretty much that's the only reason I've never picked one up. But informative posts builds quite a bit of confidence.:thumbup1:

Thanks Alax, I had been dreading honing a smiling razor, and like karma you show up with such a helpful video.

Do these techniques work well with more "normal" edge designs?

Phil

There isn't really a yes or no answer to this question. I'd say the technique/s CAN be used successfully on a normal edge, but they can also mess things up if you don't pay attention or really know what you're doing. I tend to use narrower hones, and actually the 1k in that video is now 2 narrow hones as well lol. This way, the toe of the razor isn't always in contact with the hone- constant contact at the toe along with unnecessary pressure would result in uneven wear. I do use this technique or modifications of it (not so much a "rolling" x) on normal "straight" razors. It really is true that there isn't one correct way to do it- some things work better for some people. Don't be afraid to experiment with this stuff on razors that aren't valuable/don't mean a lot to you- it's the best way to figure out what will be your favorite techniques in certain situations.

Nice videos! Gonna watch both later tonight to see if I can pick up something new. In addition, I like the carbon fiber scales you do.

I just wanted to say thanks for these vids. I have a smiley razor that I love using but have been dreading the day it needed a touch up. These videos are and will be a huge help when that time comes. Thanks!

Top Bottom