What's new

How do you get past the smell of witch hazel?

I can honestly say that the smell of witch hazel doesn't bother me at all. It's kind of a earthy/woodsy smell.

By using Thayer's Superhazel of course! I don't like the scent of witch hazel, but this stuff smells great. The camphor adds a nice cooling sensation as well, it also has a little spearmint oil and I think menthol also. It's my go to for those days when I'm not careful and get some irritation, which isn't very often anymore. I also use it for minor skin irritations which I'm very prone to.

The first time I tried witch hazel it made me think of . . . Smoked Bacon!

funny you mention that. I worked at a meat slaughter/processing plant through college. Dickinson's witch hazel reminds me of the smell in the "kitchen" where hot dogs/ham/salami would get smoked. I actually like the smell.

I use Dickinson's after every shave and love it. To me I have never found it unpleasant. It has a medicinal smell to it that dissipates very quickly. I just add a few drops of Clubman or other aftershave to a small palmfull of witch hazel and apply to my freshly shaven face. I have found, however, that I don't care much for Thayers.

Hot dog water is a pretty good description, although I'd add in old bath water and sweaty feet. I really didn't like the smell at first but I've gotten more used to it over the past few weeks. Now I'm just concerned that as I acclimate to the smell, other people around me will get a hearty whiff and treat me like some kind of freak who bathes in sweat wrung from the socks of marathon runners.

I think I am one of those people who is highly sensitive to it. I have an AS that has it in it, and I have the matching soap. I LOVE the smell of the soap, but the AS is just, I don't even know how to describe it. The WH is all that I can smell. It is an extremely bitter smell to me. I asked my wife if they smelled the same, and she said pretty much yes. Once I put the AS on, I never do smell the AS, I smell the WH, then nothing.

So, I wear the AS because of how good it is for my skin, and 2 because I know other people can smell how good its supposed to smell.

To my nose, Dickenson's witch hazel (blue label) smells very similar to fresh cut raw potatoes.
The "Dickenson's Original" (yellow label) has less of an offensive smell.
I get around the smell by adding about 1/2 oz AS to a full bottle (fills bottle to very top).
The bottle gets a little cloudy, but still works fine.

I use the generic for the most part. I can't say that it smells bad or has a strong scent at all. Hardley notice it and then I use my aftershave and all is good.

Thayer's makes a Lemon only I can't find it in a store. I have the Lavender and it isn't too bad, but I also take the normal WH and just add drops of Lime EO and let it sit and add a little more if needed till I get the smell I want. It actually smells pretty good, but doesn't last that long either.

I never really thought much of the scent. I just got a bottle of Thayers original and unloaded about 5 menthol crystals into it. It took forever for the crystals to dissolve and now it's cloudy and I have to shake it because there's too much menthol in it for the amount of alcohol...but it doesn't smell like witch hazel anymore.

It's my homebrew version of Fine Snake Bite, and it works great. I use a splash and a balm post-shave, so now I have an "unscented" option that's relatively cheap and will never clash with any balm I have.

I've tried two things. One was very successful.

1) Peppermint EO. This works beautifully. Doesn't take much. For some reason the smells work well together and it becomes quite pleasant.

^This. Nice, light, clean disappearing scent, gives a bit of sensation too. Not that I much mind the scent of witch hazel itself; in fact I just use generic.

I dunno if it's been said anywhere, but witch hazel goes on very efficiently from a little spray bottle.

Top Bottom