What's new

How can I put this soap into another container?

As you can see, the bowl on the left is almost empty. It originally contained different flavors of Caswell-Massey soap (what it was made for), most recently eucalyptus. The soap on the right is brand new, a peppermint-flavored one that I recently acquired from Joshua Tree Soap Works.

I absolutely love the scent of this soap, but so far I've been unable to use it for shaving because the container is much too small to move my brush around enough to create lather. I don't like the wooden bowl so much anymore because the lid is warped, but I don't want to spend more money on soap until the peppermint runs out. How can I make the new soap fit into the bowl on the left? It cannot be melted down. Can I slice it into thin slices and mold it into the shape of the bowl? As long as it lathers, I don't care what it looks like after that...

$IMAG1288_1.jpg

Last edited:
Remove it from the tub however you need to. Once it's out then use a simple kitchen grater to grate it. Press the shavings into the new bowl. I do this with all of my hard soaps and it works great.

That's it. Just pry it out with a table knife and press it into the wood tub. Good luck.

Remove it from the tub however you need to. Once it's out then use a simple kitchen grater to grate it. Press the shavings into the new bowl. I do this with all of my hard soaps and it works great.

If try it, class bowl inside a skillet as a make shift double boiler then pour in wooden bowl and leave on counter do not put in freezer it deformed it

If you don't care about the plastic tub, just cut the tub off of the soap with a fresh utility knife, then follow dfoulk's suggestion and grate and press it into whatever bowl you choose.

I'm not familiar with that particular soap, but a lot of them are soft enough that you can press them into a new container without grating. But the grating method is great for harder soaps.

All soaps melt. Just gotta get to the right temp. Or just use a spoon and start digging! Maybe a garden hoe....

I'm not familiar with that particular soap, but a lot of them are soft enough that you can press them into a new container without grating. But the grating method is great for harder soaps.

This is a hard soap, so that's probably what I'll do.

All soaps melt. Just gotta get to the right temp. Or just use a spoon and start digging! Maybe a garden hoe....

This is what a similar puck of shaving soap from the same maker looks like. Are you sure that it will melt? If that's true, does it melt as easily as Col. Conk, or would I have to put a higher temperature? I don't want to ruin the soap...

$$_58.JPG

Don't try to melt it. Take it out of the original container and mold it into the new one.

I thought it depends on the soap content tho. If it's tallow-based, then you shouldn't melt it. Use the grater method.

But really, it seems just using the grater works for everything. And is probably easier all around.

grating does work for all soaps and melting work for all ive tried it on so far the difference is and this is just my opinion grated soaps don't last nearly as long so should only been done to cheap soaps

grate all of it then that dang little piece you can not grate do an experiment and let us know

I will do that tomorrow. I have to buy a cheese grater anyway, so I'll use that until the piece gets too small, then try to melt a piece of what's left over. I paid only $9.72 for the soap and container (including shipping), so I won't go broke if the grated soap doesn't last as long. Next time, I'll just avoid the hassle and buy the larger, loose puck and put it in another container in which it fits.

Last edited:
Well I don't RECOMMEND melting it. I've been making soaps for a while. A lot of soaps can be remelted and people do it. But it depends on what the oils that make it up are. Sometimes the lye will separate. I still recommend a spoon or butter knife. Then grate it. Take everyone's else advice, I was just making a point.

I thought it depends on the soap content tho. If it's tallow-based, then you shouldn't melt it. Use the grater method.

But really, it seems just using the grater works for everything. And is probably easier all around.

That's what my research has led to as well. As long as it is glycerine-based with no tallow or lanolin, I think it's fine to melt.

"Yes, I re-melt, or re-batch as it is called to make shaving cream. Just grate the soap very fine, and heat over low heat. Add small amount of water. You probably know this already. "
I checked out joshuas tree face book because i to want the pepperment one and my soaps i always re batch to fit my many containers and sent them a pm and this is their reply to me, very quick reply i might add . P.s i dont own a grater i just use a knife and i prob dont chop it into but 5_6 pieces but a grater would be faster i guess,

Top Bottom