What's new

Hot sauce junkie

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For that wonderful and informative report, Randall (kingfisher) is now inducted into the Hot Sauce pepper Heads Club. Please update your signature.

...they left out that hot sauce pepper heads are much more sexy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mike (Simon1) and Jim (langod) need to update their signatures to include a membership in the Hot Sauce Pepper Heads Club.

Last edited:
I watched a chef let a reporter eat a habernero, without warning him. I thought it was reckless on his part. Used to grow habernero in nh for my salsa. Havnt. MAde any in years, but when ppl wanted to try them, i did warn them.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
what would you suggest to use the dried scotch bonnets for other than chili?

Was going through some old posts and found this. The scotch bonnets are just crying for Jamaican Jerk. :thumbup:

Jerk Paste

Ingredients:

4 cloves garlic, chopped
12 scallions, entire, chopped (I use only the white bulb part of the green onions, as the leaves tend to turn the paste green. The jerk I've had was brown)
4 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and diced (habaneros)
1 Tbs. black pepper, cracked fresh
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated (or bottled)
2 sprigs fresh thyme (1 tsp. bottled leaves)
3/4 tsp. fresh ground pimento beans (allspice)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, grated (bottled)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
4 Tbs. cane vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
3 Tbs. brown sugar

Preparation:

Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor, then process into a paste.

Transfer the paste to a small mixing bowl, then allow to sit at least 1 hour before using, or else cover tightly and refrigerate.

I like to marinade chicken wings in this overnight then throw 'em on the grill.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks for the recipe Mike the Jamaican Jerk does sound like a fitting use for the scotch bonnets.
I like the flavour of scotch bonnets a lot.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Look at what I picked up at the market today. The big green chili's are Hatch chilies. The Shishito peppers are not what I expected. More like green bell pepper in spiciness and taste. What should I do with with the Naga's?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 39

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I knew when I typed, "what should...." It would bring all the chili head club members out for a party. You can't trick me into eating one of those unless......

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't bribe me with cute kitties. If I ate one I would have milk, ice cream and a fire extinguisher. Maybe I'll put some in my chili thats cooking? I'm thinking a homemade hot sauce is next.

.....sorry to disappoint.....strike 2.

I'm most fond of Cholula's Chipotle sauce, Tabasco Green Jalapeño and Garlic sauces, and Heinz Hot Taco Sauce. But I have all sorts of different sauces in my fridge, including one called The Grim Reaper, which utilizes habaneros, scotch bonnets, naga morich, and several other hot peppers, as well as a bit of The Source, a pepper extract rated at 7.1 million Scovilles. I tend to leave that one alone, but occasionally will put a drop in some chili or soup. One of my other hobbies is collecting hot sauce bottles, and I like to have at least tried the sauce once before putting the bottle in my collection.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm most fond of Cholula's Chipotle sauce, Tabasco Green Jalapeño and Garlic sauces, and Heinz Hot Taco Sauce. But I have all sorts of different sauces in my fridge, including one called The Grim Reaper, which utilizes habaneros, scotch bonnets, naga morich, and several other hot peppers, as well as a bit of The Source, a pepper extract rated at 7.1 million Scovilles. I tend to leave that one alone, but occasionally will put a drop in some chili or soup. One of my other hobbies is collecting hot sauce bottles, and I like to have at least tried the sauce once before putting the bottle in my collection.

Sam, you sound like a freak pepper head like us. Welcome to the club. Show us a picture of your hot sauce bottles.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chili with chopped Naga Ghost peppers. This batch is a keeper and it will make it to the cook-off. The chili grind Chuck beef was so tender and luscious in your mouth.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 33
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks good Aaron; the ghost pepper should give it a bit of a kick. I've got the popcorn going waiting to see how the cook-off goes this year.

Awww...come on Aaron...eat a whole ghost pepper and video it. It would go VIRAL!

Don't bribe me with cute kitties. If I ate one I would have milk, ice cream and a fire extinguisher. Maybe I'll put some in my chili thats cooking? I'm thinking a homemade hot sauce is next.

.....sorry to disappoint.....strike 2.

Okay, Chris won't bribe ya, and I won't either... really I won't...really.

Kinda hard to believe that Orangey's little cousin is about three months old...Rat is tiny. Named him Rat 'cause he's not much bigger than one. Sorry for the out of focus picture.

And then there is Little Bit...the matriarch here. She looks a lot like Mollie. Lil' Bit likes to sit next to me in my chair.

Then she goes to sleep...chin up.

And then there is Cocoa the Calico. She showed up here the day after Memorial Day last year, when it was pouring down rain, and she looked like she was about an 8 week old kitten, and the vet. thought that was about the age also (ya think she got dumped?). She darted in the house as soon as the door opened and after I got her dried off she took over the house.

She's my secretary now, but I think I'm working her too hard. I caught her asleep at her desk the other day.

What Boss? Yaaawwwwn. I'm on it...really I am.

I love you Dad.

Okay...now that you are bribed...eat the ghost pepper...whole. :lol:

I made some of my Jamaican Jerk paste today and have some chicken wings marinading right now. Used some habaneros from the garden last year that I dried. I tasted a bit of the paste and...still hot as....

I thought about sending you some but don't know if the vinegar and peppers would keep it from going bad for too long. What the heck...who am I kidding. That stuff would kill anything that tried to attack it.

Make that jerk paste and see if I've earned my hot sauce pepper heads club badge. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mike, you certainly know how to bribe people. Is that what you do as an investigator? After seeing all your cats and kittens I feel compelled to eat a ghost pepper....not!!!! Viral or not those peppers are not going to be chomped down. I plan on making Yeehaw Hot sauce with them. I'll call it, Yeehaw BR-549.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xhTomqDTzE

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was not trying to bribe you Aaron.........I was calling you a ....... never mind. It must of got lost in translation.
Talking of translations, I tried reading your post but all I got was meow. :001_tt2:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mike, you certainly know how to bribe people. Is that what you do as an investigator? After seeing all your cats and kittens I feel compelled to eat a ghost pepper....not!!!! Viral or not those peppers are not going to be chomped down. I plan on making Yeehaw Hot sauce with them. I'll call it, Yeehaw BR-549.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xhTomqDTzE

You know we are just ribbing you Aaron... we wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Unless you video it.

I thought it was Hee Haw BR-549.

You know...when I go up to N.E. Oklahoma to see Mom we pass under a bridge on the turnpike that is numbered BR549...funny how I noticed that.

Top Bottom