What's new

Honing in Denver/Chicago

I've been wet shaving with a 11/16th Sheffield half hollow and a 5/8th Sheffield extra hollow and the 5/8th needs to be touched up. Being a Denver native moving to Chicago for work, are there any notable people I can send my razors in for honing or learn how to hone in Denver or Chicago?

Bluesman is in the Denver area. I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago. There are quite a few straight razor guys in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas. To which area of Chicagoland are you moving?

Welcome to Chicago! Once you get settled in, you might want to check out Q Brothers, a shave shop in the Lincoln Square neighborhood on the North Side. I should think that they would be able to point you in the right direction. They are affiliated with Merz Apothecary which would be worth checking out anyway--it's an old-school European-style place and the oldest drugstore in the city. Smallflower.com is their online store. (I have no connection to the place, other than frequenting it more than I probably should.)

Stop in at the Carbon Knife Company in Denver before you go. Not sure if the kid knows much about straight razor sharpening but he is very knowledgeable about stones and has a very decent selection including JNATs. He has quite a bit more than what he shows on the website so its worth the trip plus he can set you up with a stone progression to start learning.

Thanks y'all. I'm moving there for work starting January. I'll definitely check out Carbon Knife Company for their selection before then.
My work will be in River North but I'll most likely live in the northside of Chicago. Not sure yet.

Welcome to Chicago! Once you get settled in, you might want to check out Q Brothers, a shave shop in the Lincoln Square neighborhood on the North Side. I should think that they would be able to point you in the right direction. They are affiliated with Merz Apothecary which would be worth checking out anyway--it's an old-school European-style place and the oldest drugstore in the city. Smallflower.com is their online store. (I have no connection to the place, other than frequenting it more than I probably should.)
Says they have honing services at the store.

Top Bottom