What's new

Honemeister Recommendations in London?

Hi,
I think i need to get my razor honed. It's a Dovo, so I'm reluctant to do it myself on this razor as I have no experience. I was going to take it to Taylor's to have honed but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good honemeister in London to take it to?

I bought it new from Taylor's of old Bond Street (in their shop). I salesman said it was shave ready but, judging by his 12 o clock shadow, I assumed he isn't a straight razor man himself. I can shave with it but I think it could be a little sharper. At any rate, I'd like to send it to someone who knows what they're talking about so they can tell me how sharp sharp is!

Hello Rupert

Sorry about the predicament, but if you cannot shave with it, then it probably isn't sharp enough. Since Taylor has its own barbers they ought to know whether it's shave ready.

I can tell you, if you live in London or work near Moorgate we can meet or you can mail me the razor and I'll tell you if it's shave ready or not.

Cheers

Vincent

If your experience to date in TOBS is not satisfactory I'd suggest you take it elsewhere. I just don't know where as I don't use a straight. yet.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of taking it to Trumper's in Mayfair since they seem more geared towards the actual shaving side of things rather than all the toys. I'll let you know how i get on.
Vincent, thanks for the offer. I'll see what the visit to Trumper yields and take it from there.

Hello

I thought you would give it a try with Taylor since they sold the razor as "shave ready" so perhaps you could have them hone it properly for free, I thought it was worth a try....

I think Trumper is more or less the same when it come to selling straight razors...I bought a couple of Dovos from them and neither was "shave ready"....

Cheers

I just went to Trumper's (admittedly without the razor). I think the main thing that struck me is that the salesman obviously used a straight razor himself and agreed with me that the razor may have needed some honing. He also suggested that I apply a fine strop paste to the canvas side of my strop which I've just done and the blade does now seem to be a lot sharper (although I haven't tried shaving with it yet). I'd left the canvas side clean before.

Applying the paste sure helps, I hope it does the trick for you.

However, I would suggest you show him the razor next time, it would be much easier to asses how good the edge is.

Cheers

Vincent

I just went to Trumper's (admittedly without the razor). I think the main thing that struck me is that the salesman obviously used a straight razor himself and agreed with me that the razor may have needed some honing. He also suggested that I apply a fine strop paste to the canvas side of my strop which I've just done and the blade does now seem to be a lot sharper (although I haven't tried shaving with it yet). I'd left the canvas side clean before.

Should've mentioned. The paste he sold me itself isn't green, just the packaging: It is the white plasticine like paste that's meant for the canvas side!

Most places selling straights don't know the meaning of the phrase "shave ready" and won't be able to do it for you either. I do it for a small fee if you like. You can PM and we'll discuss it. There might be some other english members that can do it for you aswell.

I think you will be pleased. Now I don't cast aspersions but I had dialogue with a guy who had bought one of my (not shave ready) razors as he wanted to try honing. No problem, I thought. He then emailed back to say that he'd visited a 'well-known London outlet' - they had sold him a hone (QED) that was about 3" x 1.5" and looked as rough as a bear's you-know-what. He did try to hone the razor (oh dear) and it took quite a bit of coaxing to get him out of the foeatal position after he's tried shaving with the damned thing. The moral is that just because they sell nice shiny razors don't meam to say they know JS about honing.

PS PM me and I'll tell you a little snippet of news that might amuse you!:c6:

I have to say, I shaved today after stropping my blade after applying the white paste. It really made a huge difference. However, I do still think it could be a little sharper. Plus, there are a couple of very minor imperfections which will need to be honed out.

Well blow me down! My new razor from theinvisibleedge arrived this morning so, of course, I had to use it. It certainly was a lot sharper than the Dovo and seemed to glide effortlessly through the beard. I even ventured onto my chin and upper lip with it for the first time (with questionable results). I'll definitely be having the Dovo honed!

I've had limited experience, but, I have found that the great honers (two razors over a 3 month period) still leave the razor with some work to be done (for me). OK, ithe razor will shave when you get her, (tough though it may maybe) but to have that great shave she will still need some work. One of the two I could barely use she was so rough.

Top Bottom