What's new

Homemade sauerkraut

Bringing one up from the grave, will be getting 5lbs of cabbage this evening from the local wholesaler. Gonna start a batch for Thanksgiving!

Aha! It's that time of the year again!
Fermenting season.

I plan to do another batch of sauerkraut.

Any new ideas or recipes?

I have a few pounds of garlic fermenting right now. Pint of horseradish also working. Picked up some cabbage but haven't got the kraut going yet. I saw a Spanish recipe that has red pepper flakes in the kraut. Thinking about giving that a try.

Recipes with added flavors have been less than satisfactory ;-(

But garlic and horseradish sound delicious.
How large are those batches?

I did 10 lbs last night or 3 heads, sliced in half then sliced thinly. To each head I added 2tbs salt and 2tbs caraway seeds then mixed. Put all in a 12L foodsafe bucket and then let sit for an hour. After an hour I worked the cabbage to squeeze some juice out. Packed it all down and placed cabbage leaves on top then a plate and then a full growler and covered it all with a towel. I will leave it all in the kitchen until there is liquid over the plate then move it to the garage to sit until Turkey day! Will post pics tonight, left my phone at home.

Recipes with added flavors have been less than satisfactory ;-(

But garlic and horseradish sound delicious.
How large are those batches?

I agree, flavored kraut is a little dicey. I tried garlic kraut last year, not a favorite. Also did a couple quarts some with an asian flavor. The soy sauce gave it a unique taste that was pretty good.

About 3 lbs of garlic made 2 1/2 qts. Not sure about the weight of the horseradish. Two banana sized roots filled a pint jar. The horseradish should be ready, I just need to give it a try. The garlic goes until the first of the year.

Garlic pic

$uploadfromtaptalk1412719702036.jpg

Really simple. Just peeled, covered with brine (2 TBS salt/1 qt water) and put in a jar with an airlock. Fermented like crazy for a week or so. Kind of calmed down now.

Is this essentially how to ferment all those odd items that don't seem to produce their own brine, green beans, asparagus, peppers, etc.?

Is this essentially how to ferment all those odd items that don't seem to produce their own brine, green beans, asparagus, peppers, etc.?
Pretty much. I did a batch of jalapeños that had an addition of raw cider vinegar but forgot the weights and it molded. Going to try again to see how the taste changes.

Need to get another batch going. I'll keep it to around five pounds as I hate to dump moldy kraut and I won't can it.

You can easily freeze it, and it keeps quite well. We have a group of us that makes it each fall, usually make 3 or 4 6-gallon red wing crocks full. We leave it in the crocks until January when we get a sub-zero day, double bag it in quart freezer bags and put it outside until it's frozen solid (avoids odor in the freezer), then into the freezer. Of course some of you more fortunate gentlemen who don't get any subzero days would have to skip that step, but it is an effective way to have homemade kraut year round.

One of my favorites is pickled Jalapeno peppers, they are terrific on shammies and burgers and just about anything. I slice them into rings and knock off most of the seeds.

Interesting!

Any chance of pictures of a batch of those?

Brian that white granular gloop is OK- but I am concerned about the green. I would toss that batch just to be sure.

Top Bottom