What's new

Home Intrusion - your #1 choice in firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's always a habit for me when we get new faces in here, to automatically look for where they hail from. It's usually not America, so I do get where they're coming from and empathize. It makes me wonder if B&B should have an anti-gun forum so those of that opinion have a great place to go and get support as we pro gunners have here?

this is where Erik, @Claudel Xerxes says; "quit trying to make my job harder." ;)

Yet with the exact same logic, you aren't paranoid preparing for a bear in the woods? Hasn't happened yet? So why do you care about making sure your shotgun is with you? Why do you not consider that logic, hypocritical? Could it be, because we can assume, you probably have personal knowledge of others being attacked by a bear?

If so, why not extend the same reasonable assumption, that some might have the same personal knowledge of being attacked in a vulnerable state in their own homes? And they, just like you, want the freedom to decide which area of their life to be prepared for? It amazes me, that you don't think you deserve ridicule for carrying a shotgun for protection against bears, which have a much better record of not being aggressive murders than humans do, yet you feel like someone who decides differently than you of where to apply their standards of protection and preparedness deserves your ridicule?

Seems quite hypocritical of you, just saying. I personally think, you are not paranoid for preparing to not be eaten by a bear in the woods, however slim that may be. you want to be in reach of a gun for something that has never happened. So does he?

What about that can you not understand? Is it simply because, since you don't have the right in Canada, you don't think we should in America?
wow, easy now..! I asked about location ("Ukraine"), relative to preparedness (for "the worst"). I don't think that is unreasonable, whether judged in terms of statistics or otherwise. After all, even "America" (and Canada) is a big and diverse country.

As for "paranoia" -- for my part, that was not about ridicule -- look up the definition of that concept, and judge for yourself whether it might apply to "a state of mind", without taking context into consideration (as you framed it).

As for bears -- since you ask, yes I have actually been attacked. No contact, because psychology is everything in bear/human encounters. We were three guys with guns, standing our ground (preferring not to kill the bear and already having a thousand pounds of bull moose on the ground to deal with), and the bear buggered off eventually. but I'm telling you, it was coming at us..!! That is by no means my only bear encounter. All I'm saying here is, context matters, and I would not want to live in that state of mind I was in then, every day, everywhere, in the shower, etc.
If you want to -- be my guest, and may you find peace of mind.

In contrast to what you may think, I have nothing against guns per se, and I quite appreciate, in general terms of cultural rounding, the fondness pertaining among some in the US for the second amendment to the US constitution. In some respects, I share in it. All I am saying is, there is an element of context which I think is worth taking into consideration. So framing my comment in terms of "Ukraine" was not accidental.

I sense the potential for a "flame war" in this discussion here is considerable, so I will not contribute any further to this volatile thread ... to begin with, all I really wanted was to share my fondness for the Remington 870. There you have it.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if B&B should have an anti-gun forum so those of that opinion have a great place to go and get support
As I just wrote, you're missing the point. I am not anti-gun ....! It's not a simple matter of for or against, or US based on not .... You are allowed to think. (I should hope).

Not at all, I'm just an honest ***** by nature of my personality. However, I didn't say anything rude or overly butt kissing in my post. It's just all plain speak dude? You don't seem to fret much when you speak plainly? So please don't fret when I do? :)

I can agree with this. Do you agree, all burglar's who desire to enter a locked and secured home, have to be entered by forcing their way in? Seems to just simply be a natural part of the nature and act of a burglary doesn't it? Again, I probably won't get an honest and straight answer, but I will pose this question again, since you seem to be bouncing around it. What was your point of property theft being the majority of the largest percentage of burglaries, have to do with this thread on what weapon choice would people choose during a home intrusion?

Ya know, inquiring minds and all?

I implied that gathering your loved ones if needed into a single protected room, while watching the door with a loaded firearm; or finding a choke point between the bad guys and those loved ones with a loaded firearm, is passive? I don't think so...

You think grabbing a firearm, calling the police and waiting in a protected room is a passive act? I ain't the smartest guy in the world, but I think you saying that action "is passive" speaks more about you then it does me? Just sayin.

What is objectively false? And what reasons have you already stated? This is my point, you haven't made a single clear point about anything you stated? Either clearly agree, or clearly disagree, but just be clear? are you attempting to make the point a firearm isn't needed? Just be clear? I know I would appreciate it? :)

A handful of exceptions regarding what? I still don't understand the specific point you are wanting me to get without being clear and concise in your attempt? Please be clear of what you are pointing out sir? Or would being clear in a pro gun forum be difficult for you?

your analogy doesn't make any sense and is a moot attempt when you haven't once been clear about your stance?

I absolutely agree good sir. It is quite silly, to come to this forum, if you don't support the idea of having a firearm to protect oneself in a thread titled of what firearm would we use in a home intrusion. I knew we could eventually agree with each other if we just kept trying. :)

I would like to hear more about your points of what we know is more likely to bring swift resolution in most cases? Please elaborate? :)

Again, I absolutely agree! That's two for two! We just might become good friends! :)

In the USA, we get to plan and proceed to fortify and strengthen our homes exterior's with strong doors and windows which forces someone who would attempt to gain entry, to take much more of a difficult, pain staking time than usual, in order to gain entry, which then allows the free American inside to obtain their firearm of choice, call 911 to get the police coming and gather themselves and any loved ones into a secure location inside and wait for the police to arrive or attempt to blast the invaders to oblivion once they get inside. whichever comes first. I'm pretty sure I have stated this logic several times before here?

I apologize sir, that you have not once, made any clear point of substance, in making me understand how those actions are cowering instead of intelligent? Sorry.

I think @jar_ said it best; My children will be with me and my wife cowering, in a place of advantage and fortification behind my 12 gauge shotgun. this place will be of my choosing to help keep everyone safe for either the police to get there first and do their jobs, just like in every other country in the world or; this place of strategic location, will also help me with the ability and advantage to stack up bad guys on the floor, in order to protect my family if the police fail to get there on time. Not like, every other country in the world? Don't hate, appreciate! :)

Which is my God given right as a free American. "USA!, USa!, Usa!, usa!" and all that stuff... :)
Wait, what? We got off the same page at some point or something was lost in translation because I absolutely am pro gun. The last 4 years in particular has firmly galvanized my already pro-RTBA stance.

What I was discussing was the strategy of waiting for an invader vs being active in confronting an intruder, first verbally, which will usually scare them off, then physically with your weapon of choice if that doesn't work. 9mm or 300bo in my case.

When it happens to you it’s life changing. My in-laws and uncle were the victims of break-ins. My in-laws weren’t at home and when they walked in all their belongings were everywhere. The entire house was destroyed. My uncle was home the thieves were kicking in the door, he had a shotgun and told them though the door he would shoot. This became a pattern and the thieves continued to break in and a month later tried again. He turned on a light and they ran. My aunt couldn’t take it and they moved. My in-laws were never the same, they rarely left home and to this day it still haunts them.

The last armed robbery I was in involved a customer that was with me. They not only took the contents of the cash register they took our personal items. They forced us in the back and made me open the safe. They ripped the phones out of the wall and left.

The customer was a related to a friend of mine and she was never the same.
She wouldn’t go out by herself and my friend told me she was scared for years to be alone.

Robberies and break ins take more the items they take personal security and trust away.

Oh and by the way. The one that robbed me got out in a few years and continued his life of crime. I used to track his criminal record.

Where I am Home Invasions are rare but not unheard of so my Nightstand gun is 3“ S&W 625 .45 ACP with JHP should something go bump in the night.
D9C5A540-28A3-49DF-9F74-8E68C11954A4.jpeg

5DE07F47-4E59-41F9-A967-A44A0C9A48BB.jpeg

Style points decorate tombstones.

Yup. Folk are free to disrespect, damage and steal your home and property. That's why I have insurance. And when there were family and kids all those decades ago, I taught them to gather & cower in the corner behind me.
Rightly so, you can and should teach them what to do during a home invasion, but few plans survive first contact with the enemy.

...but what if their entry point is through a window between your child's room and your room? What if they reach a set of stairs or any other natural bottle neck that prevents the kids from having safe access to your location and vice versa? What if one of the kids just get scared and freezes? Fear paralysis sometimes happens even to grown men. It's just too generous an assumption to presume that I can gather my entire family behind me in the middle of the night in the 5 or so seconds it takes to break a window and enter the building.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
wow, easy now..!

Funny, we are thinking this exact same thing about you? The difference? We live in this pro gun sub forum and you just got here? :)

I asked about location ("Ukraine"), relative to preparedness (for "the worst").

No you didn't sir. You brought up Ukraine with a poster who said nothing about (for "the worst") It was me who said that, much later after yall's post... Now what? :)
I don't think that is unreasonable, whether judged in terms of statistics or otherwise. After all, even "America" (and Canada) is a big and diverse country.
You don't think what is unreasonable?

As for "paranoia" -- for my part, that was not about ridicule

Great positive narrative for sure my friend, but if the show was on the other foot and we beat you to the 'paranoid punch line' when you said you carry a shotgun for bear, would you be the first to say we are ridiculing you? C,mon my dude? A bit of self responsibility for what you say and meant, can go along way here? We all put our pants on one leg at a time? :)

-- look up the definition of that concept, and judge for yourself whether it might apply to "a state of mind", without taking context into consideration (as you framed it).

So, having a gun within reach in our home is a 'state of mind' but having a gun in reach in the woods is what?

As for bears -- since you ask, yes I have actually been attacked. No contact, because psychology is everything in bear/human encounters. We were three guys with guns, standing our ground (preferring not to kill the bear and already having a thousand pounds of bull moose on the ground to deal with), and the bear buggered off eventually. but I'm telling you, it was coming at us..!! That is by no means my only bear encounter.

I have been shot at multiple times. I have been shot in the leg, stabbed in the left hand, stabbed in the right side. Right pinky knuckle broken. Right foot and left leg run over by a vehicle, nose broken on two different occasions and the top four of my front teeth capped from kissing a cro-bar. All separate incidents which a bear is not guilty of?

You do understand, our logic of safety and preparedness, doesn't have to be confined in only what your personal mind can fathom, perceive or justify? your lack of other experiences shouldn't confine anyone else into the box of your opinion? I get it dude, you were attacked by a bear, so you want to pass down the edict, that we all can be prepared for bear. And in the same vein, you haven't experienced, or don't think you will ever be in danger of another human, so we are paranoid becuase we haven't been attacked by a bear? If only you were king? :)

All I'm saying here is, I would not want to live in that state of mind

But you do live in that state of mind sir? Every time you go to the woods? Or maybe it's not in your mind? Maybe it's just an accepted way of life you have decided to incorporate and make apart of your personal lifestyle, where you don't have to even think about? Maybe drop the superiority complex and give us that same ability you have of just simply making it apart of our lifestyle as well?

Are you capable of the higher mental plane to do that? or are you stuck in a state of mind just as you accuse us? Stepping out of the box in a pro gun forum can be liberating? Why else visit a pro gun forum? :)

I was in then, every day, in the shower, etc. If want to -- be my guest, and may you find peace of mind.

To be honest, I don't ever think about as easily as you don't. When your in the woods, your shotgun you are carrying, isn't even on your mind, it's a great convenience to have it when a bear appears in front of you? When I'm buck nekked in the shower, I don't ever think about the .380 pistol in the pocket of my bathrobe. But it is obvious, it would be a great convenience if a big ole' grizzly bear ever suddenly pulls back my shower curtain... :)

In contrast to what you may think, I have nothing against guns per se, and I quite appreciate, in general terms of cultural rounding, the fondness pertaining among some in the US for the second amendment to the US constitution. In some respects, I share in it.

I feel the exact same about our Canadian brothers to the north and their funny accents. :)

All I am saying is, there is an element of context which I think is worth taking into consideration. So framing my comment in terms of "Ukraine" was not accidental.

We are definitely friends. Because this is a great statement and I whole heartedly agree with you! Now, we just have to shape our considerations into the context of common sense and fairness to and for "the individual". I sir support your efforts and reasons of why you carry a shotgun into the woods. Even though I have never experienced being attacked by a bear? Should I deny you that mutual respect for your personal beliefs and consider you mental prowess suspect? Just because I don't think it could ever happen? because apparently you do, even thought the odds of it happening again are probably close to 0%

Doesn't matter the odds to me, all that matters is the fact that I know you know, it's still a slim possibility? And I respect that you prepare for that slim possibility. You are not paranoid, you have simply made it a reasonable lifestyle choice. Some kind of constant state of mind is not even necessary to promote, live and carry out a lifestyle choice. Trust me, It never crosses my mind in order to simply hop on the toilet and take a dump. I know I don't have to think about the roll of toilet paper that's right there if and when I need it. It's just there when I reach for it if/when needed.

when I am taking a shower, the only thing that is on my mind is showering. I simply reach for the soap that is in the soap dish for a reason without thinking about it. If a bear ever makes you think about it? What then? Are you going to decide to think about? Bet your *** you will. Same here. If some yahoo ever makes me think about, then I will simply reach for whats at hand without thinking about it. bar soap, toilet paper or pistol. :)

I sense the potential for a "flame war" in this discussion here is considerable, so I will not contribute any further to this volatile thread ... to begin with, all I really wanted was to share my fondness for the Remington 870. There you have it.

This thread is about guns and home invasions? What could possibly be added to make it volatile? :)

Funny, we are thinking this exact same thing about you? The difference? We live in this pro gun sub forum and you just got here?
Yeah, scary. I guess perhaps regulars in this forum are more used to being under verbal attack. Debate can become so polarized, for or against, then it becomes near impossible to have a "debate" in the sense of having an actual exchange of thought, that stands a chance of moving somewhere, as opposed to merely exchanging punches and preserving status quo. But what brought me here was to share, not to shame. I like my guns too. I don't dress up with them every day though. I probably would if lived in Ukraine :frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom