What's new

High Dollar aftershaves really worth it?

Of course, there is a difference between a McDonald's burger and an Outback burger. You may like prefer the McD's burger. Fine.

Sometimes, a guy just WANTS a McD's Quarterpounder with cheese, and nothing else will fill that bill quite right. Most of the time, though, I'll take my beef patty as organic, grass fed, and lump charcoal grilled, thankyouverymuch.

;)

Mostly I favor less expensive splashes. Skin Bracer is probably my current favorite of splashes at the moment. I tried Proraso but it had way too much burn for my liking. It was however an effective aftershave. Just too much burn for my taste.

The one A/S I would never want to be without that is high dollar is Musgo Real After Shave Balsam. It's fabulous for our cold Wisconsin autumns and winters and the bottle lasts a long time. I got a bottle of the stuff last November and used it everyday for the entire winter until about June. It still have a little left in the bottle and I just picked up a replacement last week as fall is right around the corner. Since it lasts a good 6 months or more it's easily worth the price and it makes my skin feel great. It kills razor burn dead in it's tracks too.

Can't go without my daily splash of Alt-Innsbruck. It's gotten so bad I go into withdrawal if I don't have my AI. I will rotate DRH Arlington, Speick, and Proraso in there, but infrequently at this point.

The only high dollar aftershave I've ever used was one by Channel years ago.

Liked it and so did my girlfriend at the time.

As for now I'm quite happy with barbershop brands such as Masters, original Old Spice and Clubman/LV.

Strangely, I won't use the other drugstore types like Brut etc.

This thread has made me think maybe I should get one high end type for those special occasions.

Probably the one Gary Grant wore.

The best aftershaves, skin-wise, are usually in the middle of the road. Low-end products are just cheap perfume in water and alcohol, and the truly expensive ones, like those derived from eau de toilettes, tend to be nothing more, except they smell better.

Barbershoppy brands like Proraso will smell good, are affordable, and have a lot of stuff that's good for your skin: allantoin, witch hazel, glycerin, castor oil, etc.

With balms, it may be a different story: often, I find that high-end balms have quality ingredients, unlike high-end aftershaves.

Top Bottom