What's new

High Dollar aftershaves really worth it?

My floid blue smells a lot like aqua velva. But my floid blue performs a LOT better. AV gives me the good alcohol sting I like and that's it. Floid Blue gives me that and then a nice moisturizing layer of protection on top of it, and a much mellower smell.

Could I get by with low cost AS's? Sure. I could also get by with the $7 boar brush I started with.

Of course, there is a difference between a McDonald's burger and an Outback burger. You may like prefer the McD's burger. Fine.

I think they're worth it if the scent is distinct and something I really like, but in almost every case when I get an aftershave it smells a lot like something else I have tried before.

I could see spending some monies on a nice bottle sometime. I think I'll stick to my cheapo schmoozer Aqua Velva and other drug store stuff now though haha. Thanks for all the input and advice!!!

Well I tried T&H ultimate comfort balsam, surprised too see, how fast its absorbed in to the skin, was better than proraso balm but not too much.

But, Alt-Inssbruck post shave emulsion(not lotion) is so bloody awesome, the best aftershave product I've ever tried. Marginally better than anything. Good soapy scent kick with a very nice menthol refreshing, relaxed skin. You can actually feel it heals your skin.

Please guys try this, its scent may not be for everything but it works, you'll see.

I still find Thayer's Original Witch Hazel to be best for my skin. The scent disappears once it dries and I can apply a scented balm afterwards.

In reference to splashes I don't think that expensive is worth it as an aftershave. For use as a fragrance if you dab it on your neck like a cologne then it could be worth it.

I cannot answer that question because I will probably never buy one. Recently I've been exploring Masters aftershaves and to tell you, they cover a very broad scent spectrum and they are cheap. I figure I will work my way through some of these and be very happy. As always, depends on your financial situation.

I would argue that most of the incremental cost is going toward the fragrance not the skin goodies in most (not all) high dollar splashes. If you'd pay the $ for the cologne why not the aftershave. Or vice versa.

Yes and no. I use a number of cheap aftershaves but I do not want to be without aftershaves like Alt-Innsbruck, DR Harris, TOBS and Musgo Real either.

You have to look at specific products, not just generic categories.
On the cheap end Old Spice makes my skins feel healthy, Aqua Velva just makes me feel creepy and oily. At higher ends, I've tried A/S's that did nothing for me, and one (such as Speick) that were practically miraculous.

I agree with this. A few specific comments: I cared for neither the expensive DR Harris' Marlborough AS nor the cheap 4711 (a recent gift). I really like the 'expensive' Thayers WH.

I agree that it depends on the product. Cost, in and of itself, means precisely nothing. Some expensive products work well for me, and so do some inexpensive ones. And of course, YMMV.

Just like anything, at some point you hit diminishing returns. Only you can decide where that is based on your needs. I have aftershaves in my rotation from $4. to $50. The $50. one is only in there because I love the scent and it matches an EDT I use.
My 3 favorites for effectiveness cost $14., $15., and $19.

Speick Splash - one of the best (I consider it THE best for razor burn) lotions - only $17

Every Man Jack aftershave balm - take the Pepsi challenge with this balm against any other high-priced balms - only $6 at Target

What's a high dollar aftershave? Where's the cutoff point, to me $50 and up is a high dollar, others might consider $20 the high point. That said I use AV musk, speick, clubman and whatever is on sale or interesting looking. I was recently looking at two bottle set of cologne and aftershave on sale for $80. I kept thing this is more marketing then product, so I passed. I'd rather take a proven product that has been on the market for 50+ years then some product that bvlgari just worked out to go with their cologne.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Another big thumbs up for Speick splash as far as performance and price. I have used all the drugstore brands and there is nothing wrong with going in that direction. I've also used the Floris and Penhaligons ultra high end splashes and they are indeed very nice and best used when paired with that same family of creams, soaps, EDT to create a layered effect that is the entire luxury shave for example. You will be hard pressed to beat the Speick IMO.

Thanks for all the input guys! My WCS cart has Old Spice Original, Speick (splash), Proraso (splash), and Thayers Rose Petal. So far!!!! :D

Top Bottom